Author Topic: Hub vs. Cabin  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Hub vs. Cabin
« on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Looking at buying one for our boss (xmas)...has 2 kids,7 and 5,that he will take on occasion but mostly solo.  Pros and cons of each please. Thanx
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hub vs. Cabin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I have a Shappell cabin and a Clam hub and they are both nice. Both are light and fold up small but I think the hub takes more work to set up. Hub doesn't have a floor so you get cold feet easier (so get some of those foam/rubber mats they use for kids areas). Some of the cabins are big but most aren't as big as the basic hubs.

In your case I would get the hub because he needs space for 3 people. Clam Base Camp is what we have and it works great, just remember to put in the ice anchors if there is any wind. See if you can find a foam sleeping pad or something that he can put down on the ice for foot insulation

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:19 PM »
I have a Shappell cabin and a Clam hub and they are both nice. Both are light and fold up small but I think the hub takes more work to set up. Hub doesn't have a floor so you get cold feet easier (so get some of those foam/rubber mats they use for kids areas). Some of the cabins are big but most aren't as big as the basic hubs.

In your case I would get the hub because he needs space for 3 people. Clam Base Camp is what we have and it works great, just remember to put in the ice anchors if there is any wind. See if you can find a foam sleeping pad or something that he can put down on the ice for foot insulation
was leaning that way

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I have the Eastman 4 man Ice Cube and love it.  Plenty of room and easy setup/take-down.  HOWEVER, I just saw the new double size cube shelter offered by Glens (see ad at top of page) and am seriously thinking of trading up.  Their new hub shelter is 6' x 12' set up and sells for only $229 !!!  Can't beat that.  Room for at leasst 6 people in there, with room to spare.  I'm figuring that I can use it in the Summer also for camping out.  The double shelter weighs only 45 lbs.  Check it out!!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:19 PM »
My experience . I have a cabin, friends have a hub.. More space in the hubs .. We all gather in the 4 man hub.. All 8 of us  ;)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Went with the Clam Expedition...looks like it would be just right for him and his lil' minnies. Thanks for input guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.