New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Mono or flouro?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline hardwater22

• IceShanty Rookie
Mono or flouro?
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:43 AM »
What’s everyone using for jigging walleye?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mono or flouro?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:53 AM »
al little bit of everything but always a fluoro leader.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:26 AM »
I use 6lb vanish for everything during icefishing season

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I like sufix invisiline, or sufix braid to seaguar blue label fluoro leader
Pete

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:17 PM »
I use 6lb vanish for everything during icefishing season

Not to hijack but curious how the vanish works, just bought a spool of 4lb and a spool of 6lb to reload my jig poles with. Was hesitant to buy it because it's not ice line but everything I've read I don't think there's a difference from regular floro other than price.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Not to hijack but curious how the vanish works, just bought a spool of 4lb and a spool of 6lb to reload my jig poles with. Was hesitant to buy it because it's not ice line but everything I've read I don't think there's a difference from regular floro other than price.

I love the vanish, much smaller diameter then other flouro lines and just as strong. I use it 6lb vanish for eyes and 15lb vanish for my pike leaders. Works great!
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I gotta say I cringe a little at the mention of Vanish. The first spool of fluoro I ever bought was Vanish... never again. There are much better, stronger, and more supple fluoros out there that aren’t much more expensive in my opinion. I guess if you have confidence and good experience with it, great. I just know that I and many other people I’ve talked to don’t. Just my 2 cents.
Pete

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Sometimes I enjoy an apple other times an orange will do.  I keep the apples away from the rocky fishing situations but they work great everywhere else...the oranges though, are more abrasion resistant but also wildly more expensive.  I've alternated seasons both ice fishing and open water using exclusively apples and oranges...I didn't catch more fish on the oranges.   ;) 

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:22 PM »
During open water season I use 10 lb vanish, I mainly fish bass. I used to fish in local clubs and tournaments for bass. I have always used vanish for that as well, I think it's a great line. As far as a ice fishing line or not, I think that is just marketing. I am a huge fan of fluorocarbon. Ultimately it's just like lures if you have confidence in it, it will work well for ones self unless I'm fishing next to you then you will want to use what I'm using lol.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Fair enough. But I’ll stick with my Seaguar and Sufix ;D Now, back to mono v. Fluoro...
Pete

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:49 AM »
For eyes, I’ll always top off my mono with a short section of seauger.  Anything else, just the straight Ice line in whatever test is appropriate.

Offline Pete26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Braid with a flouro leader

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:43 PM »
I gotta say I cringe a little at the mention of Vanish. The first spool of fluoro I ever bought was Vanish... never again. There are much better, stronger, and more supple fluoros out there that aren’t much more expensive in my opinion. I guess if you have confidence and good experience with it, great. I just know that I and many other people I’ve talked to don’t. Just my 2 cents.

X2 on Vanish being the worst line out there.  You can't tie good knots with it, it has tons of line memory, and it isn't fluoro leader material.  I see absolutely zero reason to spool a whole reel with fluoro.  Personally I think its best to use braids/ice line to a fluoro leader.  For light line you can find some cheaper tippet or leader material spools for fly fishing that work great as light leader.  For pannies you could even get away with going down to 6/7x if you have the right rod and reel setup.
westernmas on the finder

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:52 PM »
YoZuri Hybrid...best of both worlds, and small diameter as well. I use 4#and 6# with no problems.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Yozuri 50# did well for striper

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:47 PM »
For me, I pretty much stick with seaguar when it comes to fluoro.
No experience with walleyes, but fish outside of a shack most of the time. I don’t use mono as it iced up slightly more than fluoro. Most of my rods are spooled with mostly fireline, but then topped with enough fluoro as the “working” line to reach the depths I fish most. That way it’s only fluoro in the water and I don’t get nearly as much ice buildup on the line. The reason, for me, to put on braid is you can put a lot of it on a small spool.  If your going light pound test on the leader and or braid, you may need a lot of line to let a big fish run.
The reason to spool with all fluoro is if your fishing outside in below freezing temps, and your fishing in deep water. I just put together a rod with a reel spooled up with just fluoro (seaguar invizix) to fish for lake trout in 100+FOW, so mono would be way too stretchy. Haven’t tried it yet, but fingers crossed.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Berkley Trilene Ice Flouro 100% utilizing Two-Turn Cinch Knots

3# on my Ultralights for pans/crappie
4# on my Perch setups
6# on my Walleye setups

Offline akavidar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I like Seguar STS fluorocarbon for leaders on my tip ups 4lb for trout, 8 lb for Walleye, 17 lb for Pike. On most of my jig poles I use P-Line Flouroclear, it's a monofilament line coated with fluorocarbon.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Flouro for me 17lb normally
Just enjoying life

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:06 PM »
12lb seaguar fluoro leader material for my walleye setups..

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Yozuri 50# did well for striper

I bought a spool of 40# hybrid for stripers  and it was so stiff it wouldn't even lay flat on the reel... does work well with treble hooks for pike rigs on tipups!
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Suffix or Vanish are fine .
Mr.Esox

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:41 PM »
In my experience I like fluoro, but it is really stiff in the cold.  You have to watch very carefully as you let line off a spinning reel, otherwise it will explode off the reel and make a mess.  I have a couple of setups, one with all fluoro, one with mono to a small swivel with a fluoro leader, and I have tried braid with a leader.

One I didn't like was nanofil, it frayed like crazy when I tried to slide the little ice balls off it (like you can with mono).  This leads to unexpected breakages, once or twice on nice lakers which bit when perch fishing.

Offline BataviaBills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:51 PM »
fluoro

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:15 PM »
8 lb p line floro for my walleye jig rods .... Always works great on the clear water in the st Lawrence river ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline AlbieGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:03 PM »
I always use fluoro as a leader.  If using tip-ups I prefer a stiffer brand, for jigging I prefer something a little more supple.

Offline akavidar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:35 AM »
In my experience I like fluoro, but it is really stiff in the cold.  You have to watch very carefully as you let line off a spinning reel, otherwise it will explode off the reel and make a mess.  I have a couple of setups, one with all fluoro, one with mono to a small swivel with a fluoro leader, and I have tried braid with a leader.

One I didn't like was nanofil, it frayed like crazy when I tried to slide the little ice balls off it (like you can with mono).  This leads to unexpected breakages, once or twice on nice lakers which bit when perch fishing.

I tried nanofil once, on a windy day that stuff just flies everywhere. Terrible trying to control it.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:42 AM »
3# Trilene Micro Ice for pannies.

10 # main with a 8# flouro leader for walleyes and bass .
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.