The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vandalism - A Canadian thing, eh??????  (Read 1501 times)

Offline randyh

• IceShanty Rookie
Vandalism - A Canadian thing, eh??????
« on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Hello from Winnipeg - just read a post on local Winnipeg board about ice shacks being vandalized on the Red River near Selkirk, MB. This may be a valid report or might be one of the "trollers" trying to stir up trouble. But it brought a question to mind ...... these shacks I refer to are just that - basic maybe 4x8, 6x8, 8x8 units knocked together with whatever is available, and they certainly don't have much in the way of anything valuable in them. But it does seem that every winter, vandalism/burning is a problem. My question relates to all those beuatiful multi-thousand dollar wheeled units I see on many US websites and in shots of many popular ice fishing locations. Is vandalism/theft, etc. especially with such expensive units a big problem in the northern ice fishing states? It would seem it would have to be but not being a local, its unlikely the news would ever be reported here anyway. Just looking for some feedback......

or is there something about the US/Canadian border that somehow we have managed to sprout all of these types of jerks on our side?

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vandalism - A Canadian thing, eh??????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Oh, geez no, randyh, it's terrible here too.  I live in the Twin Cities metro area, and it's been absolutely rampant the last few years.  Most of these jokers aren't breaking in to steal the houses, but rather the electronics, heaters, fishing rods, etc. that some people think will be safe if they lock the house.  I know turtle lake in shoreview had about 2 dozen houses broken into last week.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Got to agree with Fishuhalik,

If it gets left on the ice - some one will screw with it.

I won't leave anything out there - not even a portable, yet I've
seen people doing it.

UG

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:13 PM »
Don't leave anything behind and DONT lock the door. It has been years since I have heard of any trouble around here. My In-laws have shacks on Pelican by Brainerd, they have NO problems leaving their nice wheel houses out there. Once and a while some drunken twit will mess with a house on Mille Lacs, but that is a whole different world on that lake. We had some jerk burn a few shacks in the past, but he was caught and dealt with.....meth head.

The bottom line is, "don't bait the meth heads", take your gear home!

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:19 PM »

The bottom line is, "don't bait the meth heads", take your gear home!

Lmao Ya prolly hit the nail square there skipper.

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:38 PM »
ive seen a shanty here in michigan too that has been broken into on vineyard lake..thats all that ive seen though >:(
-------   --------
          /
         / FISH THE HARD STUFF
        /
   ><>

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:11 AM »
i had a shanty on a local lake here a couple of years ago, and had no problem. the lake is 1 hour from new york city. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.