The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tips from the pros  (Read 623 times)

Offline bobber_Walker32

• IceShanty Rookie
tips from the pros
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:12 PM »
I don't me an to be facecious by the title of my post, but from the way I see it, u guys have ice far more often there than we do here in Indiana... Therefore I'm speaking to your experience when I mention the pros (hopefully not too bad of a joke).... Here goes... most of the lakes in my area are fairly small, I fish them more in the spring and the fall... I'm not a boater and I don't have electronics for the ice how do u guys go about locating and keeping fish (especially perch ) schooled and biting... Really any suggestions u have on locating fish with no electronics would be awesome.... (possibly getting a flasher in the next week or two... Any suggestions on that would be awesome too). Thanks for any help in advance

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: tips from the pros
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:21 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'll give my opinion since you asked.

If you have maps that show structure & depth they can your friend.  That can get you pointed in the right direction.  Only way to know if something is down there is to have sonar or a camera. 

As far as sonar goes.... Pick one and learn it.  They are all a little different.  I have used most out there, and owned several.  Currently using an FLX 28.  Not what I would suggest for a beginner.  FL 18 would make a great starter unit since it has a zoom, but not a confusing unit to run.  Even starting with a basic flasher like an FL 8 to get the basics down.  You can find them used, learn on them, and sell for what you paid for it and then upgrade. 

Good luck!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: tips from the pros
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Well, if there isnt any snow on the ice, look through the ice and see where the weed line is. That's always a good place to start. Otherwise, just drill a bunch of holes and dont spend more than 5 minutes at each one. Trial and error is the name of the game!

Go Beavers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.