The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Using a leader  (Read 515 times)

Offline idontfloat

• IceShanty Rookie
Using a leader
« on: Nov 28, 2010, 04:36 PM »
When do you want to use a leader ice fishing? I know with tip ups but what other instances and or species?

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
Re: Using a leader
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 09:09 PM »
At first I was going to say never, but that is not the case. When ever some one says leader, swivel's clips steel type come to mind.. that type I almost never use. The type of fish that you target, like Northern or Lake Trout, need some special attention. OK this is what I use, tie on about 4 to 6 feet of 15 lbs floracarbon line, tie your jig, hook, lure, right on the line. hope this was helpful. Good luck & welcome to Ice Shanty!
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline idontfloat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I read here and there people using flurocarbon leaders when jigging... any idea why?

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:47 PM »
yeah, floro is totally transparent under water but the only problem is that i've heard that it gets brittle when it's cold. i haven't used floro while ice fishing but i suppose it would be worth a shot, maybe the ice floro is designed differently.
Back to the original question, on my tipups I use heavy braided line, then 10# clear mono and then I tie on my quick strike rig. I will only use quick strikes for pike after watching my sucker minnow with my camera and seeing fish hit it from all different angles with a single hook in it and catching 0 of 6! I haven't missed a fish since i switched to quick strikes and i haven't had one get hooked so deep it bled.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.