The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice augers  (Read 2730 times)

Offline clamyukon

• IceShanty Rookie
ice augers
« on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:45 AM »
im buying a new auger and have 3 choices strikemaster lazer mag strikemaster magnum and jiffy stealth stx and the strikemasters are the new solo engiens and im looking for mine to be light and quiet any suggestions on those 3 models

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
Re: ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:12 AM »
you should look into the nils master best auger on the market, go to datillios they will give you a great deal on them
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I got a nils for x-mas. Best auger I have ever used. Wish they made it in a 9inch

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:46 AM »
better than an iffy jiffy.......

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:49 AM »
nils got one for birthday thing is great and mine is just the hand 8 inch cuts like butter

Offline clamyukon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:10 PM »
i dont want to spend over $450 and those are the ones i want so im trying to figure out witch one is the most quiet

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:34 PM »
I always wanted the one that cut the best. Nils Master with a Tenaca power head from Dattilio's was my choice many years ago. I fish almost every day through the ice and about half the time I use my Nils (when I am fishing for flat fish) and still am on the original tip. A few times a year I swip one of those hand held sharpeners over it and it still cuts like butter. I bought one of the first ones in the state and the power head was pre primer bulb so that goes to show how early a version I got. The new ones are actually more powerful.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline VTICEHEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:14 PM »
JIFFY STX ARE LIKE LUGGING A LOG AROUND, LIGHTER THE BETTER. THE PROPANE JIFFY LOOKS COOL. :o ::) ::) :o ;D :icefish:

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:53 PM »
The new Jiffy propane are suppose to be quite and great. I now that George @ Big River Bait & Tackle has used one and can get them @ a great price.

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:01 PM »
VT Icehead is right on! I have a stealth stx model 34 in 10". It is fricken heavy! After all the snow we just got I think it weighs 10lbs more! On the plus side it always runs and cuts real well. If I had to do it over again I would defiantly look for something lighter.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:07 PM »
If you have a choice between a jiffy and a dull chizel, buy the chizel! Honestly, check the archives on jiffys engines. And yes they weigh a ton.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:47 AM »
The new jiffy propane auger weighs 43 lbs without fuel, and cost 500 dollars.  you can get a nils for that and it weighs 20 lbs.  If you move around at all or carry your auger anywhere that is a huge difference esp. when the snow starts to pile up on the lake.  If your willing to go up to 450 for an auger, a purchase your gonna have for a long time, I would spend the extra 50 and get the best.  Nils Master
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:31 PM »
bought a jiffy last year J-U-N-K  JUNK.  and the customer service was just as bad looooong story.  returned it to dicks for full refund.  bought a 8 " nils hand auger and that thing was awesome!  i was cuttin through 16 " last year and still had enough energy to set up after several holes.  guys swore by it and they were right.  if and when i buy a power auger ill pick up cans on the side of the road for the extra money rather than take a chance with anything else especially a jiffy.  i'm sure all jiffys aren't junk but im not gonna take the chance.  i was warned about jiffys and did not listen serves me right

Offline clamyukon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:31 PM »
my friend has the stealth stx i love it but they dont make the old model he has any more i would buy a nils but im 12 so $600 for a auger is kinda pricey so i bought the strikemaster magnum

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:58 PM »
I see you guys like the nilsmaster power auger. Who makes the engine and where is the best place to buy them?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:26 PM »
I had the Jiffy model 30 for twenty plus years. I averaged 10-12 days on the ice per season
and until last year never owned a hand auger. I had very good luck with Jiffy but
almost 50 and model 30 is starting to get heavy. I went with an eskimo mako 10 inch.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:33 PM »
how do you like the eskimo mako 10"? thats the exact one i was looking at. from what ive read of the reviews of jiffys, strikemaster, and eskimo, they seem the best bang for the buck by far. Any info would help make up my mind!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:44 PM »
I have not yet used the Eskimo purchased today as its at
Cabelas in Hartford CT. My Jiffy weighed
fourty + pounds if i remember correctly. "Geezah" had a new
Jiffy that I used a couple of times in 07 & 08 and did not care for that
along with cost. 

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Ive had a jiffy 30 for 15 or so years and although its treated me right (with an ocassional carb rebuild) its just like carrying around a dead body. i searched and scoured the net for a light weight and dependable auger and told the wife I know what you can get me for christmas!  Any way Im psyched to try my new Nils power drill. Weighs 23 pounds and I hear it cuts like butter. the cost was $540.00 but if you dont have it, just marry someone who does.

Offline FISHAHOLIC-19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:09 PM »
I got the Strikemaster Lazer Mag w/Solo engine last season.
It does a great job. I love it!
It will rip through the ice without feeling like you were at the gym all day.
Whatever you get, you'll never want to go back to a hand auger again.

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I love my strike master four stroke. Its nice and light weight.
beats the jiffy by far. The only thing wish I could have ordered it in 10 inch.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I would go to datillios in south burlington.  I got mine there and they had the best price anywhere.  Give them a call
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I would have to vote for the Jiffy 4stroke on propane.  Looks like the Cat's meow

Offline ThinIceWalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Jiffy is just to heavy, 43 pounds for 10inch and 38 pounds for 8inch.  If you are a mobile fisherman and are cutting lots of hole, it just makes it that much harder.

Nils Master is very good cutting auger.  Everyone I fish with prefers mine(Nils) over the jiffy, just because of the weight, and speed of cutting.

Any auger with cutting blades and not a chipper design, would be a good choice, but I can't imagine any auger working better than a Nils Master. 

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Been hearing bad things about the Jiffy Propane....excessive oil leaks and propane jelling up in the cold.  Cabela's in Scarborough Maine told me they took them off the store floor.  I bought a Jiffy Stealth XL 3 hp.  We'll see.   

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2010, 03:38 PM »
The Nils master is the best one on the market.  I know they are more expensive than the others but I look at it as a longterm investment and I try to get the best so it lasts the longest and gives me the least amount of trouble and from experience there is no comparison
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline VTWally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I have a Strikemaster 10" auger, 2 stroke, with the three blades on the bottom.........can't remember what model it is off the top of my head, but it's awesome. It's very light for a 10" auger, and cuts holes fast. I had a Jiffy Model 30 for twenty years, it was ok, but I have to agree, they are heavy as hell, and they're high maintainence. There was a time when they were the fastest drilling machines on the ice, but some of these new augers are far better. I haven't tryed the Nil's Master, only the hand augers....wich are great.  I may get a smaller auger just for jigging, I'll have to look into those.

Offline clamyukon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:44 PM »
got my magnum to day nice auger lots of smoke and sourta loud but over all good auger

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:58 PM »
We've got 2. I don't know the makes but they sure beat a manual auger, especially for us old folks!

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:09 PM »
We use a jiffy ten inch, and it cuts like a dream, but man is it heavy! if your going to be doing a lot of walkin g, i wouldnt suggest it. carried it all the way into a conn river setback and back and couldnt move my shoulders for three days! if you are just panfishing, honestly i think a 4 inch lazer auger would be better, and less work than a power auger, Just my 2 cents worth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.