The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Salem Lake  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Hunkerdown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tip Up another Beer for those Hardwater Junkies.
Salem Lake
« on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Anyone have any reports fishing Salem? I plan on fishing there next week, any input would be appreciated. HD. :)

Offline macinaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Salem Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I fished on Salem sunday.Only caught a few perch on the north end.Also fished it at night 2 Saturdays ago and caught just a few smelt.I was trying for walleye but no luck.Plenty of ice though.Stay away from inlet and outlet and you will be fine.Good luck.I am going over to Caspian this weekend.They are having a tournament this Saturday.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:28 AM »
I fished on Salem sunday.Only caught a few perch on the north end.Also fished it at night 2 Saturdays ago and caught just a few smelt.I was trying for walleye but no luck.Plenty of ice though.Stay away from inlet and outlet and you will be fine.Good luck.I am going over to Caspian this weekend.They are having a tournament this Saturday.
have you ever pulled a crappie out of there fishing a night?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2009, 06:36 AM »
I haven't heard of any good reports from salem this year.  It seems pretty slow.  I was up there two weekends ago caught alot of perch and one salmon. 

Offline macinaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:24 AM »
I do not believe there are any crappie in Salem.As a matter of fact I do not believe the are any lakes in the northeast kingdom of Vermont that have crappie in them. I may be wrong I just have not heard of any.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:29 AM »
I've heard the exact opposite, I had a guy on this site tell me about crappie in there, and as a matter of fact, if you look under the state records you'll see that they have got crappie in Norton pond.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:36 AM »
I've heard the exact opposite, I had a guy on this site tell me about crappie in there, and as a matter of fact, if you look under the state records you'll see that they have got crappie in Norton pond.
I,ve done alot of fishing on norton pond never heard of a crappie coming out of there but i have never heard of them coming out of lake dunmore either till last saturday @ the derby I went to go weigh in a northern and a 7 year old boy pulled out a 2.87 pound crappie it will be on the web site soon, with my rock bass that just got on last week.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:41 AM »
as you probably now you don't usually catch crappie on accident. . . . .they are places we have never known.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:42 AM »
1 LBS 15.36 oz
( 1.96 lbs ) Lake Norton  taken on February 12, 2000 by Mark Rousspau
right off the website
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:48 AM »
fishermen also move fish around.  :(

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:29 AM »
I don't know about the crappie, I think they could have been in there, who knows, but nobody fishes for them in that area.  I bet if they are in those ponds there are some hogs to be caught I bet!
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Hunkerdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:21 AM »
Wow, I know there's Walleye in Salem, never heard of many smelt caught there. Thanks for the info guys. HD ;D

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2009, 03:23 PM »
This year i head that salem was the hot spot for smelt.  There are walleye in salem but has been very slow summer or winter the past couple years.  The new up and coming place to fish for walleye is in Island Pond. 

Offline Hunkerdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Yeah,
I heard the same about Island Pond being the next hotspot for Walleyes. I was talking to a local last week at the outfitters store in town and was surprised to hear the same thing you wrote Walleyeicefisher, can't wait to give it a try next year. Has anyone been to the Averill lakes (big and small), haven't heard much action over there in quite sometime, I heard they stopped stocking them but not sure if thats true could be just hear say. I can remember when Little Averill was great for Lakers. HD.

Offline kezar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:54 PM »
Can anybody give an ice report on the lakes in the NEK?  Willoughby, Seymour, IP?  Is it still possible to drive onto the lakes?  I was thinking of making the trip up to camp this weekend...

Also, is the road into Little Averill plowed, or would you need a snowmobile to get in?  Thanks in advance! :tipup:

Offline Hunkerdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Ice conditions on Seymour was about 30" thick, even thicker on Averill about 36". Not much action on Seymour last week, caught a nice 5lb Salmon on the lake about a month ago. You can drive a truck just about anywhere but still need to be cautious around the brooks flowing in. Not much snow on lake, easy mobility to where you want to set your tip-ups. HD 

Offline kezar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Thanks very much!!  I was wondering if I should plan on parking at the shore and bringing the 4 wheeler, but it sounds like driving on will be OK.  Im used to the slow fishing, and would just as soon fish all weekend for one good fish than catching a bunch of small ones...

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Island Pond is another one where I've heard crappies can be found, any reports?. . . .
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Hunkerdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:12 AM »
I would still take the 4x4, it may be getting a bit sloppy now. HD.

Offline kezar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:35 AM »
OK, thanks for the update! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.