Author Topic: 10" Auger head  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
10" Auger head
« on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:55 PM »

Has anyone tried the Arksen 10" ice auger head? I have been looking for a old Mora 10" for awhile now with no luck so i decided to give this a try. First impressions were not bad, head weighs 9lb 9oz, however the closer I look the more crummy welds I am seeing hopefully these are merely cosmetic imperfections... I will need to build an 18-22 inch aluminum adapter/extension to get it mounted up to my Milwaukee mud mixer. Looks like the bolt pattern wont line up for the standard 10" shaver style  blades either, so i may be modifying the auger to accept the Mora style shaver blades once the original blades get dull. Too bad someone doesn't build a really nice 10" shaver style since i would have easily spent twice as much for a auger with better looking welds that took a standard 10" shaver style blades. Im planning on using this primarily for a wheelhouse trailer build i have been working on for a while.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: 10" Auger head
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2018, 09:32 PM »

Has anyone tried the Arksen 10" ice auger head? I have been looking for a old Mora 10" for awhile now with no luck so i decided to give this a try. First impressions were not bad, head weighs 9lb 9oz, however the closer I look the more crummy welds I am seeing hopefully these are merely cosmetic imperfections... I will need to build an 18-22 inch aluminum adapter/extension to get it mounted up to my Milwaukee mud mixer. Looks like the bolt pattern wont line up for the standard 10" shaver style  blades either, so i may be modifying the auger to accept the Mora style shaver blades once the original blades get dull. Too bad someone doesn't build a really nice 10" shaver style since i would have easily spent twice as much for a auger with better looking welds that took a standard 10" shaver style blades. Im planning on using this primarily for a wheelhouse trailer build i have been working on for a while.

Just a tip......but send it back. Another guy tried one and the blades were pitched to aggressive. Plus it's some weird blade patteren. I think I've seen 3 or so post about every year with someone who tires it then sends it back.

Shack man Shoney if you were looking for a 10in. And can't find a mora. Simply just get an ion auger bit with the 10in. Otherwise the only other one is a nils 10in but they run $300 & spare heads are $189.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2018, 09:53 PM »
One of the reviews on Amazon has a person that claims to have put it on his clam plate and cut holes. My guess is the pitch is close to that of the old mora hand auger.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:21 PM »
One of the reviews on Amazon has a person that claims to have put it on his clam plate and cut holes. My guess is the pitch is close to that of the old mora hand auger.

I've heard ion powerhead wouldn't spin an 8" kdrill, odd combo but guy got sick of dulling ion blades. Based off that it sounds like the ion bit should be fine on anything that'll spin a kdrill

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:48 PM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:52 PM »

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:17 AM »

Has anyone tried the Arksen 10" ice auger head? I have been looking for a old Mora 10" for awhile now with no luck.

I'm still here with the 10" folding Mora. I've been keeping 1 eye open for a suitable shipping box but i'm still striking out. Not giving up tho.
I'm keen on keeping the blades as when I find a 8" hand auger with 8" flite I want to modify the 10" Mora blades to cut a 9" hole.
Many hand augers have flite 1" smaller than the blade size. (Mora, Nils)...
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2018, 03:52 PM »

Has anyone tried the Arksen 10" ice auger head? I have been looking for a old Mora 10" for awhile now with no luck.

I'm still here with the 10" folding Mora. I've been keeping 1 eye open for a suitable shipping box but i'm still striking out. Not giving up tho.
I'm keen on keeping the blades as when I find a 8" hand auger with 8" flite I want to modify the 10" Mora blades to cut a 9" hole.
Many hand augers have flite 1" smaller than the blade size. (Mora, Nils)...
It was a total impulse buy, I'm honestly just getting impatient, I boxed it back up to send it back. I'm going to keep after a 10" Mora it's what I really want anyway..... Why settle for something that's not what you want??? The search continues...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Shack man Shoney

I haven't see the ion 10in auger. However with just the research I've done I'm lead to believe that it is basicly the same has a 10in mora with a guide point. I'm thinking by the time you would find and buy a mora 10in shipped it would run close to the $149 which would be the cost of a Ion 10in shipped.

I wish a guy could get a look at a 10in ion auger......maybe buy it on Amazon then look it over and if it looks to agressive a guy can always ship it back at no cost.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Well, i boxed it back up to return it and they instead refunded the money and told me to go ahead and keep it.... Weird deal...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Well, i boxed it back up to return it and they instead refunded the money and told me to go ahead and keep it.... Weird deal...

Lmao sell it craigslist then use the money for the mora or ion auger.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Well give it a try later, if you don’t like it you’ll have a free auger to start modifying to put better blades on

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2018, 07:41 AM »
It was a total impulse buy, I'm honestly just getting impatient, I boxed it back up to send it back. I'm going to keep after a 10" Mora it's what I really want anyway..... Why settle for something that's not what you want??? The search continues...

10" Mora (folding w/blades) is boxed up and ready to go.Attached is a picture of the good side. I'll weigh it and get a Fedex shipping price (Monroe Iowa).

Leave Some For Seed

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2018, 09:31 AM »
That's AWESOME!!! PM me with your address and I will get some money coming your way ASAP.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2018, 11:33 AM »
10" Mora (folding w/blades) is boxed up and ready to go.Attached is a picture of the good side. I'll weigh it and get a Fedex shipping price (Monroe Iowa).

Nice to see man that’s awesome.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2018, 04:44 PM »

Hey shack man. Here are some tips for you. After I had gotten my auger I did some touch ups. And made an adaptor to my clam plate. Found a shaker can that matched color perfect. Then I just use a steel pipe and used knobs and bolts to connect the shaft. My clam shaft extention slips down into it, that way I know I can get enough length to drill a hole with my shack up off the ice.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2018, 05:08 PM »
Just a tip......but send it back. Another guy tried one and the blades were pitched to aggressive.

Might be able to shim them to cut at a slightly lesser angle?

Maybe even have a set of wedges with bolt holes for a perfect set up every time..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Shackman,

Here is the color on the can.

Sail blue

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2018, 11:35 AM »
If anyone's interested, a 10" mora without the folding handle which is weird just came up on the local classifieds here for cheap. Dont think I've seen one like this before. PM me and I'll send you the link and you can check it out, but you will have to talk to the sellar to see if he's willing to ship and the such. As you know 1st come 1st serve
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.