Author Topic: Headlamps  (Read 2264 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Headlamps
« on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Curious what people are using for walking on/off the ice in the dark?  I am wanting to go with a rechargeable BRIGHT one!
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Headlamps
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:04 PM »
i have several and tried more than i like to use now.
my favorite is a olight nova h2r.  https://www.olightstore.com/olight-h2r-nova
comes with magnetic head strap and 2 way pocket clip and magnetic base and custom 3000 mah battery and magnetic usb charger and is worn as every day carry (edc), so bringing the head strap for ice fishing is easy enough. it's only 2300 lumens tho ;)

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=olight%20hr2

youtube review. (not mine) does have sos mode, user is unaware

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Fenix HL50 here.  You can use either CR123A's or AA's, it outputs a lot of light, and has a simple interface.  You'd be amazed at how many different ways there are to turn on a flashlight as you start to research different brands.  I spend a lot of time on candlepowerforums.com looking into headlamps.  The CR123A batteries have good cold weatehr performance and output full voltage until they die, whereas typical AA's slowly dim down until they die.  You can also pop the light out to use it as a handheld flashlight if you want.  I've been running this light for a few years now and it's served me very well.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:41 PM »
I had a pair of fog lights on the sled of my Frabill Recon - my new Recruit will have a similar setup. They cast light a long way and were perfect for walking back to the truck on those dark winter evenings

Catchin' Fish

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2018, 02:11 PM »
I have a LED Lenser H7R.2, 300 lumens adjustable about focusable. Easy to recharge if you throw some rechargable batteries in it. Everyday use, hunting and fishing. Going on 3 years with it and hasnt let me down yet. I have also out Petzl's which come a close second to the Lenser.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2018, 03:00 PM »
I am a big fan of the LED Lensers.    I had a cheaper one H5 and I really liked it, then we were walking through the Sportsman Show one day and my wife decided to suprise me with the H14r.2.   It's a good thing she did, because there was no way in hell I would have spent that much on a headlamp.   Except now after using it, I'd probably buy another one.  :)    I really like wearing the battery pack on my hip vs my head (less stress headaches) and i also really like that I can just plug it into the truck after every trip so I never ever have to worry about batteries.   The charge lasts a long time too.   It's crazy bright and easily adjustable beam from wide angle to small spot.   

Sit down before looking at the price.   :)

https://www.amazon.com/Lenser-H14R-2-Rechargeable-Head-Torch/dp/B00GGQEUDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1536695400&sr=1-1&keywords=led+lenser+h14r.2

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:18 PM »
I like my Nitecore headlamp.  I’ve had it for a number of years. I use it primarily for saltwater surf fishing at night. Has held up really well in a rather harsh environment. It is very bright and has five easy to use brightness settings. The model I have also has a red light; important for night use so to not spook fish.  The on/off and brightness button is large and easy to operate with gloves on.  I have the HC50 but I don’t think that model is made anymore. Uses rechargeable lithium batteries that last a long time.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-Headlamps-s/1825.htm

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Curious what people are using for walking on/off the ice in the dark?  I am wanting to go with a rechargeable BRIGHT one!

If you're on the ball and are using one of the Milwaukee drills for your auger and you carry an extra battery which nobody ever uses, just slide it into one of Milwaukee's flouro  lights and light up the whole neighborhood.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Just bought a Fenix e35ue every day carry flash lite for 46.99..  plus a bunch of streamlight 18650 usb rechabe batteries..  meaning I can charge battery with my phone charger in car.. also bought two Sunwayman head bands for like $5 each one.. now  total on batteries and head bands and chargwr was $65 and $47 on flash light two seprate orders..  with shipping included in it oh ya I got 5% off at battery junction with coupon code ma5. I like the fenix e35ue cause its light weight does not make the head band droop or sag with two much weight from light..  I do own a Bushnell I got at walmart for $30 but the 18650 don't fit it only cr123s ?? and those cost a butt load to keep throwing away.. the head band will take bigger lights with its one inch barell size capibilty..  but I wanted lighter weight then most lights in the one inch barrel size.. yet lumen's on turbo is 1000 and lasts 1.5 hours .. setting 1 on high..  it's 450 lumen and setting 2 last 4 hours 50 minutes...  next lowest setting 3  is 150 lumens and last 11hr 50 min...  next lowest setting number 4 only put's out 50 lumens and lasts 42h 30 min.. and the lowest setting number 5  is 8 lumen and last 150 hours..  plus two strobe settings strobe at 1000 lumen and sos at 150 lumen..  my head lamp I had before this only put out 200 lumens on aa batteries 3 of them I figured if 1000 or 450 was to bright I could always use the 150 seting..  out of the 5 plus two store settings and it has a 5 yr warranty free repair for 5 yrs and limited lifetime pay for parts labor after 5 years.. when registered on line you get 6 MOnths  extra on the 5 yr??  .. weight is 2.54 ouncertain 72g excluding battery.. batteries I bought weight about same so 5 ounces plus head band..

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Rayovac cheap. $11.00 at Menards Been using it for years.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:35 AM »
Energizer LED. Super bright, has like 225 lumens and only cost me $15. Uses AAA batteries I believe but I used it hunting last fall and ice fishing and still going.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Energizer LED. Super bright, has like 225 lumens and only cost me $15. Uses AAA batteries I believe but I used it hunting last fall and ice fishing and still going.

I have two one in my turkey vest and one in my ice fishing jacket ...enough light and if lost I'm not out a lot of money for replacement .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Old Petzl Tikka Plus.  Not rechargeable, not super bright.  Has served me very well and it just keeps working.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:08 AM »

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:45 AM »
This is the one I run and for the price I couldn't be happier.  https://www.amazon.com/BESTSUN-Blacklight-UV-Ultraviolet-Rechargeable-Cat-Dog-Pet/dp/B071YVNK82/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536766798&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=uv+headlamp&dpPl=1&dpID=518k8dWdttL&ref=plSrch

Go with something that runs on lithiums.  They are a bit heavier but are super bright and have good life and you don't have to worry about batteries.  Before I got that I just had the Energizer that runs on AAA and while it works the lithium lights blow it away.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2018, 11:34 AM »
I have two one in my turkey vest and one in my ice fishing jacket ...enough light and if lost I'm not out a lot of money for replacement .

Boom, another Vote for the Energizer. I have 3 of them. Cheap, easy to use and very bright.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Boom, another Vote for the Energizer. I have 3 of them. Cheap, easy to use and very bright.

We got those for the kids years ago because they were cheap.  The big surprise was how well they worked and how they seemed to last forever without wearing out.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Another vote for energizer ,

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2018, 02:29 PM »
I also like the energizers, then the wife got me an Explortek that is a little brighter.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Another vote for energizer ,

Me to.  I have 3 of them. A set of new energizer batteries will last me all week camping with a lot of use...
Not big on rechargeable ones , i dont have a power source with me most of the time.. Pretty easy to throw extra batteries in your gear...
Put new batteries in mine in may and still good to go. Will put new batteries in it for hunting season.......  Just my opinion....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:51 AM »
rechargeable lamps are great depending on use. the first weekend of June my friends and I wake up early to launch kayaks and fish topwater. only gets used for that first hour while unloading and launching, but it is super bright during that time. when hunting or fishing I always bring a back up because that super bright light wont last forever

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.