Author Topic: Vehicle Salesmen?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: Vehicle Salesmen?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I got the wife's escape used.   But I won't buy my next truck used.   I don't want some jackwagon's half beat truck because they drove it for 2 years and didn't take care of it.   I want the thing for 20 years.

That's why you buy Certified Used and/or from a dealer with a truck that has warranty left. Nothing wrong with 2 year old used, if the truck has service records and a clean Car Fax.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Every vehicle I buy from now on will be a Toyota or a Honda. I have a Tundra and love it. My wife has a Honda and loves it. Neither of us has had a problem with it. Both 2010's. They are so reliable compared to other brands of vehicles I've had.

I'm real happy with my '17 Honda Ridgeline, even though most don't call it a real truck.  I don't tow anything, so that is not the concern.  The 'under the bed' locking trunk is fabulous.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I’m surprised there are so many Taco lovers here, especially up north. Google frame rust recall from the cheap multi piece frame. Poor transmission programming along with torque converter shudder issues. Poor ride, noisey cabin, incurable vibing front end. But the engine is good.

That frame deal wasnt even a recall it was an example of the commitment to their customers. It covered trucks from 1995 to 2000. At it was a very small number of trucks that were even reported. Toyota received reports that on a small number of Tacoma frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure.

All Toyota did was extend the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation. If the truck met the criteria Toyota gave you 150% value of truck. It is proof about Toyota that nobody stands behind their product like they do. The big 3 would have been out of business years ago it they offered this type of commitment.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #33 on: Sep 13, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I’m surprised there are so many Taco lovers here, especially up north. Google frame rust recall from the cheap multi piece frame. Poor transmission programming along with torque converter shudder issues. Poor ride, noisey cabin, incurable vibing front end. But the engine is good.

No problems with my '15 Taco with 45,000 miles...nice ride, no noise in cabin, no front end shake. I have heard a few cons about the frame but nothing so far. As for rust, I am adamant about keeping it clean year round so don't foresee any issues. As they say, you take care of it...it will take care of you. Just like my '96 Ranger with 325,000 miles at time of trade in...on my Taco.  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Sep 13, 2018, 01:28 PM »

Not a taco lover my self but giving a word of advise just cause it has those issues don't mean it's a bad car or truck.. seen newer fords like the 08 f150 with rusted out frames and cracked frames.. same with chevy's and gmc's.. ford ranger was natorious for this they even sell whole frames for them.. but how many tacos will last 350,000 miles ??  I sold my 94 ranger with 296,890 miles to a fried for free he gave me $100 cause He knows scrap price was at least that.. drove till around 350,000 miles be for the Trans puked and sold it for scrap at that point.. it owed me or him nothing.. any how cars trucks are only meant to go a to b if it gets to c your lucky truthfully.. just be glad it's not a saturn vue or a pontiac azetc bad transmission are commin in those!  Very common .. that why I never buy the first 2 to 3 model years cause it gives time to figure out if their major problems ..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #35 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Do people really buy the extended warranties, fabric spray, and the under coatings on vehicles........IMO it's the biggest B.S. Add ons you can get. I had a 2012 durrango I bought new drove it to 110,000 had under $1,500 easy in repairs over a total of 6years. The extended warranty was way higher then that. Not to mention the factory warranty covers it for quite a few miles.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Do people really buy the extended warranties, fabric spray, and the under coatings on vehicles........IMO it's the biggest B.S. Add ons you can get. I had a 2012 durrango I bought new drove it to 110,000 had under $1,500 easy in repairs over a total of 6years. The extended warranty was way higher then that. Not to mention the factory warranty covers it for quite a few miles.

Ya they seen you comeing when you buy the extended warranties..

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:34 PM »
I absolutely buy extended warranties and undercoat my vehicles, I'd rather pay a little more for the warranty and not need it than get a big bill that might put me broke.  In my opinion the longer the warranty the better even if it only covers the power train.  Here in Pennsylvania, AKA the salt state, they put more salt on the roads in a year than lots of other states do in three or four.  Then a few years ago they got the brilliant idea of putting brime, a liquid solution of salt and God only knows what which most of us call liquid rust, on the roads.  They put so much of that stuff on the roads that it's turn a black vehicle almost totally white.  So yeah I wash the under carriage as often as I can and undercoat the vehicles.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I absolutely buy extended warranties and undercoat my vehicles, I'd rather pay a little more for the warranty and not need it than get a big bill that might put me broke.  In my opinion the longer the warranty the better even if it only covers the power train.  Here in Pennsylvania, AKA the salt state, they put more salt on the roads in a year than lots of other states do in three or four.  Then a few years ago they got the brilliant idea of putting brime, a liquid solution of salt and God only knows what which most of us call liquid rust, on the roads.  They put so much of that stuff on the roads that it's turn a black vehicle almost totally white.  So yeah I wash the under carriage as often as I can and undercoat the vehicles.

Your salt on the roads is no different then in NW Iowa. I'm just curious what kind of repair bill would cause a person to go broke?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:29 PM »

I to under coat but the extended warraty I don't..  the thing as cars get newer they can't do the rust proofing..   my 94 ranger was rust proofed lasted to abut two years before I got rid of it..  basically wax and gerase mixture the rust proofing from zebart.. problem was we would get it in out carpet on our clothes etc mostly when you don't want it to...  but the finish would last 20 year or more.. but problem in newers car they don't have the pockets the older cars had to fill rust proofing in to .. this we were told at dealer on a 2013 escape if we were to rust proof it we would have to drill holes!! and then it would rust out even  faster then if we did not.. looking at used cars and  seen a few cars lately that had the rust proofing done..  and the rockers are pure rust and flaking.. just a heads up why they say not to!! When your told not to maybe you should have listenedmost of all on newer cats trucks and suv's ..

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Extended warranties? Absolutely. All the other add-ons? ( rustproofing,etc.). Nope. Just keep vehicle clean including under carriage and a good paste wax a few times a year. Keeping it out of the sun as much as possible too. Neglect of a vehicle is the #1 reason of it's demise...frame, body and engine. How do I know these things? Because I've seen these things...I work in a body shop 😉

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Sep 13, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Extended warranty imo is a no go. Why not put 100 a month in a savings account each month. After 3 yrs or so when your original warranty ends you will have plenty to fix a major breakdown. Keep putting 100 away and before you know it you will have money towards your next rig. Biggest reason people buy the extended warranty is because they can finance it and stretch it out over 5 yrs etc. if u buy a vehicle that has been taken care of warranty is not worth the money. There’s a reason dealers push it on people. Good luck collecting on warranty work half the time. My .02

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Sep 14, 2018, 12:27 PM »
Your salt on the roads is no different then in NW Iowa. I'm just curious what kind of repair bill would cause a person to go broke?

I used go broke as a figure of speech for a large repair bill such as needing a new motor,  transmission, or having a major breakdown which are big bills for people who don't have a lot of extra money laying around.  I always bought the extended warranty from the manufacturer not some other warranty company.  In my experiences with Ford's extended warranty I haven't had any problems having things covered and got the added bonus of getting a loaner car because I had their extended warranty.  I agree with the others that I wouldn't buy any warranties from some warranty company. 

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Sep 14, 2018, 02:14 PM »
That frame deal wasnt even a recall it was an example of the commitment to their customers. It covered trucks from 1995 to 2000. At it was a very small number of trucks that were even reported. Toyota received reports that on a small number of Tacoma frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure.

All Toyota did was extend the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation. If the truck met the criteria Toyota gave you 150% value of truck. It is proof about Toyota that nobody stands behind their product like they do. The big 3 would have been out of business years ago it they offered this type of commitment.

It goes farther than 2000, my 2006 is involved in the issue. I not saying it has been a bad little truck, but far from great. The worst truck I’ve ever owned was a new 1992 F150, have not considered another Ford product since.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #44 on: Sep 14, 2018, 04:19 PM »
I used go broke as a figure of speech for a large repair bill such as needing a new motor,  transmission, or having a major breakdown which are big bills for people who don't have a lot of extra money laying around.  I always bought the extended warranty from the manufacturer not some other warranty company.  In my experiences with Ford's extended warranty I haven't had any problems having things covered and got the added bonus of getting a loaner car because I had their extended warranty.  I agree with the others that I wouldn't buy any warranties from some warranty company.

For what an extended warranty cost you can do a major repair..........

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:41 PM »
I have to disagree with you on that especially if you're having a dealership do the work.  The price I paid for the extended warranty was definitely less than a motor or trans job.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:52 PM »
A. Glass., please give us , in a dollar amount , your thoughts on the cost of a major repair.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Sep 14, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Regardless of the repair cost most would rather add the few bucks a payment and pay more in the end than drop a chunk of cash if they need to make a major repair.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Sep 14, 2018, 09:23 PM »
just got a quote from 2 dealers for a new 2018 Tacoma 31500 and 32,000

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #49 on: Sep 14, 2018, 09:44 PM »
I have to disagree with you on that especially if you're having a dealership do the work.  The price I paid for the extended warranty was definitely less than a motor or trans job.

Wow u must get screwed for a motor or trams job.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Sep 15, 2018, 04:53 AM »

I'd much rather pay $1800 for the extended warranty (1/12,000 on top of the 5/60,000 bumper to bumper which also includes towing to any dealership and rental car) than the $4200 I would have paid in finance charges had I not paid cash for the vehicle...then add in the cost of repairs and rental fee w/o warranty. And the amount of driving I do, will amount to only half the miles accumulated during that 6 year period...that is true savings and peace of mind. Purchasing a vehicle is one of the worst investments there is...but a necessary one. So the more money I can save over the long haul, the better.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #51 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Maintenance makes a big difference like a lot of people have pointed out here.
But with all the electrical and computer stuff that can go wrong theres nothing you can do to prevent that.
Most of those parts are dealer only supplied.
Up here the most important thing that we have to do is keep the rig clean.
They pound the roads with salt.
Remember nothing is built to last.
New trucks have gotten out of control in price.
My truck is 5 years old with 60,000 miles dont plan on buying another new one for another 5 years.
I tow big things so I need a 3/4 ton diesel and those are insane now in price.
I just run a little SUV to keep the miles of it and try to keep it out of the salt.
Theyre all good, some better than others.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Sep 15, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Here in NW Iowa automotive expenses are not as much as in much of the country and Sheldon has always been a “low” place to live.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Regardless of the repair cost most would rather add the few bucks a payment and pay more in the end than drop a chunk of cash if they need to make a major repair.

I agree with you completely.

Wow u must get screwed for a motor or trams job.

I don't know what dealers in your area charge but here the average price of labor at any of the dealers is $80.00 PER HOUR and that's for a gas engine, labor for working on a diesel engine is even more than that.  Also those prices don't include parts.  Sure you don't have to have a dealer do the work but with all the electronics in vehicles these days I'd rather go to the dealer because they work on that brand day in and out and have direct factory support.  Don't get me wrong there's some good independent garages around but there's also a lot of grease monkeys who think they're a mechanic just because they have greasy hands and clothes and a few wrenches.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #54 on: Sep 15, 2018, 05:22 PM »
I hate shopping vehicles.  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.