Author Topic: Vehicle Salesmen?  (Read 4110 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vehicle Salesmen?
« on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I am thinking about doing some upgrading and would like people's opinion.  I am currently driving a car as I used to travel a lot for work, but now I use it as a commuter car.  My wife has an Acadia that we use 95% of the time, and considering we just had our second child, it is time to upgrade to something that is larger.  I have been thinking about getting a truck or an SUV (thinking a dodge durango), but not sure yet.  With 2 car seats, I need a bigger back seat.  The big reason I am leaning towards a truck is how large the rear seats have gotten lately, and for the fact I can throw my shanty in the back and drive out on the ice. 

The 4runner TRD Pro also looks like the anglers dream, but its not very large and I would have to shell out some coin for it.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vehicle Salesmen?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2018, 09:11 AM »
The cost of trucks has gotten out of control for starters but if you can afford it, I can't see any other way on going with a truck.  I upgraded my '08 silverado to a '15 silverado last friday after looking for 6 months here in MN. There are deals to be had but it took a while for the right one to come along, that was in MN at least. Everything that I found that I liked was below the salt line.  I went from crew cab to crew cab and it does seem like the new trucks cab is much bigger then my older crew cab, plenty of space for kids and other things. Serving dual purpose, I have never once someone say I need less space in a vehicle at least from someone who owns a truck. More options you have for storage and space, the easier and more enjoyable your time on the ice and with the family will be in the vehicle. Just my 2 cents....happy truck hunting!

To add, I went 217,000 on the '08 without any issue. Normal wear and tear stuff. Impressed, hopefully the 2015 lives up to my last experience with Chevy.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Every vehicle I buy from now on will be a Toyota or a Honda. I have a Tundra and love it. My wife has a Honda and loves it. Neither of us has had a problem with it. Both 2010's. They are so reliable compared to other brands of vehicles I've had.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2018, 11:06 AM »
GM and Ford are having huge sales on 2018's right now, roughly 11000.00 off of msrp. I received a similar deal on a 17 GMC 1500 a year and a half ago. Although I do agree other than full size trucks Honda and Toyota are the way to go, very reliable. Personally I wouldnt buy another dodge. chrystler, or jeep ever again. Good luck, I hate dealing with the salesman.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Every vehicle I buy from now on will be a Toyota or a Honda. I have a Tundra and love it. My wife has a Honda and loves it. Neither of us has had a problem with it. Both 2010's. They are so reliable compared to other brands of vehicles I've had.

Tacoma here  :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2018, 05:49 PM »
GM and Ford are having huge sales on 2018's right now, roughly 11000.00 off of msrp. I received a similar deal on a 17 GMC 1500 a year and a half ago. Although I do agree other than full size trucks Honda and Toyota are the way to go, very reliable. Personally I wouldnt buy another dodge. chrystler, or jeep ever again. Good luck, I hate dealing with the salesman.

Yep trucks are cheap the rebates are crazy......because the farm economy is terrible. So you take the entire Midwest agriculture market out of the picture on buying new trucks. I wanted to buy my wife a loaded truck, but she wanted an SUV. Ended up getting a 2018 Ford Expedition. Like the vehicle and got a good deal on it.

What blows me away is just how terrible some people are at negotiations with sales people. Maybe it's because I'm in sales and understand the process.........but there are a lot of dumb people that get screwed buying cars. I'm talking thousands of dollars screwed. My wife hates me when I deal on a car, because she hates conflict. However, She's smiles when it's done.

Here are some simple tips.

Blue book is blue book value. If your honest about the condition of the car, then that's what it is worth. Don't take one cent less. If he tries to give u less.....don't take it.

Any car over $40k u should be able to take 10% off sticker. No if ands or buts. Lower then 40k priced cars will be less % off sticker.

Rebates are your money not the dealers. Rebates come off after the % off of sticker price.

If you need to finance be careful. This can be a big trap. Dealers will tell u that they can only get you x% financing from the company. So.......when you should have something like 2.9% financing they will try to stick it to you and give you something like 5.6%. So when you get that smoking hot deal.......they tack it onto the backside in interest payments to get you to the price they want.

If you just "finance" to get a rebate.....never listen to the BS of oh wait 4months or so to pay it off blad bla bla.....get the rebate and pay it off on the first day you can.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2018, 06:00 PM »
GM need to be careful with their incentives.
To qualify for them you need to go with their financing.
And have to pay the sticker price.
Check the details and see if you have your own financing the price is more negotiable.
I worked in the auto business for years.
Another thing is when they are
 "CHECKING WITH THE MANAGER "
Be careful what you say because they are listening to you.
Your wife might say "well we can afford $$ this amount a month"
Best way to purchase a new vehicle is through internet or phone.
Even if it takes weeks to deal with the idiots is worth it.
You can save $$thousands.
Its all a big show to get your money. Most people dont realize that.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2018, 07:02 PM »
Don't buy new vehicles... a couple of years old...pay cash...save thousands...problem solved.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I am thinking about doing some upgrading and would like people's opinion.  I am currently driving a car as I used to travel a lot for work, but now I use it as a commuter car.  My wife has an Acadia that we use 95% of the time, and considering we just had our second child, it is time to upgrade to something that is larger.  I have been thinking about getting a truck or an SUV (thinking a dodge durango), but not sure yet.  With 2 car seats, I need a bigger back seat.  The big reason I am leaning towards a truck is how large the rear seats have gotten lately, and for the fact I can throw my shanty in the back and drive out on the ice. 

The 4runner TRD Pro also looks like the anglers dream, but its not very large and I would have to shell out some coin for it.
Wrong forum.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Wrong forum.

Not at all. The first priority in purchasing a vehicle is to make sure all of our gear will fit!  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:42 PM »
A vehicle is a major portion of an ice fishing setup. Interesting thread in my opinion.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2018, 04:02 AM »
A vehicle is a major portion of an ice fishing setup. Interesting thread in my opinion.

Yes sir...upgraded from a 2-wheel drive Ranger to a 4-wheel drive Tacoma for that reason. Now we need to see some mods that have been done to the vehicles to accommodate our fishing gear.  ;D

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Don't buy new vehicles... a couple of years old...pay cash...save thousands...problem solved.

I got the wife's escape used.   But I won't buy my next truck used.   I don't want some jackwagon's half beat truck because they drove it for 2 years and didn't take care of it.   I want the thing for 20 years.
Don

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2018, 09:32 AM »

X2
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I also upgraded my vehicle for the purpose of fitting my flip-over shelter. But being narrow-minded, as I am, I never thought of asking any ice fisherman what to buy.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2018, 02:10 PM »
4runner  ;D

You can buy a used one and be confident you can go 300,000 miles
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2018, 06:06 PM »
It’s like anything else, if you take care of it, a truck will last no matter what kind it is. I agree a new vehicle, or at least a one-owner used model still under warranty is the way to go. All vehicles have their good and bad points, and recalls seem to be the norm. I prefer Chrysler products, and have been very happy with their performance. That’s just my opinion. I’m sure this is true for other manufacturers, and when you come right down to it, it’s a matter of personal preference. It also comes down to what you can comfortably afford.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2018, 08:25 PM »
I got the wife's escape used.   But I won't buy my next truck used.   I don't want some jackwagon's half beat truck because they drove it for 2 years and didn't take care of it.   I want the thing for 20 years.

Not always true...bought my '96 Ranger in 2000 with 32,000 mi. on it. Just traded it in April with 325,000 miles and still going strong...well strong for it's age. Never any major repairs and wasn't burning a lick of oil. Best "used truck" I ever bought.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Not always true...bought my '96 Ranger in 2000 with 32,000 mi. on it. Just traded it in April with 325,000 miles and still going strong...well strong for it's age. Never any major repairs and wasn't burning a lick of oil. Best "used truck" I ever bought.

My current truck went 278k and it failed with a hole in the piston.  But it has spent alot of its life with a trailer behind it.   I got it with 61k on it used and thought the engine blow by it had was normal until I replaced the engine.   This one runs so much better and stronger. 

I'll take as much of factory warranty I can on my next diesel.   
Don

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 09, 2018, 05:38 AM »

My current truck went 278k and it failed with a hole in the piston.  But it has spent alot of its life with a trailer behind it.   I got it with 61k on it used and thought the engine blow by it had was normal until I replaced the engine.   This one runs so much better and stronger. 

Yup...warranty is important. Got the extended on my '15 Tacoma. Good insurance in my opinion, especially on a used because you never know. As for ice fishing upgrade, I don't have to worry as much about getting stuck with the 4WD. :thumbsup:

Offline iceslider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Subaru ascent
Well I ain’t often been right but I never been wrong
Seldom turns out the way it does in the song

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2018, 08:53 AM »

Must be a durajoke.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:13 PM »

I said that too after 3/4 of a million miles in 3 different Tacomas, all bought brand new. They are simply awesome but just absolutely suck as a tow vehicle. When I got my 19' inline enclosed trailer I had no choice but to go full size and the Tundra is just way too expensive and I didn't like the mileage it got. Almost cried when I traded my '13 Tacoma TRD Off Road for my '17 GMC Sierra 1500 but so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

If you don't have to tow, I highly suggest a Taco, but if you need to haul get a full size. My Sierra double cab has plenty of space in the back for kiddos and gear and still has a 6' bed without being stupid long.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:12 PM »
My '17 Silverado double cab is getting better gas mileage than my buddies '17 Taco. The Chevy 5.3 liter kicks down to 4 cylinders when it can, to save fuel. Plus it tows way better, and more room. I'm pleasantly surprised with this truck.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2018, 05:00 PM »
I said that too after 3/4 of a million miles in 3 different Tacomas, all bought brand new. They are simply awesome but just absolutely suck as a tow vehicle. When I got my 19' inline enclosed trailer I had no choice but to go full size and the Tundra is just way too expensive and I didn't like the mileage it got. Almost cried when I traded my '13 Tacoma TRD Off Road for my '17 GMC Sierra 1500 but so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

If you don't have to tow, I highly suggest a Taco, but if you need to haul get a full size. My Sierra double cab has plenty of space in the back for kiddos and gear and still has a 6' bed without being stupid long.

Yup, love my Taco...and you're right...not for towing heavy weights. In fact, I hauled a half ton of stone the other day. While it did well going down the road ( no loss of power ) it was all the suspension could handle. But I do like it's smooth ride. Not so much truck like. I bought it primarily for the 4X4 in winter...getting back to my favorite fishing hole. ;)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:25 PM »
From a mechanic stand point Honda and some ford motors along with some chevy motors have issues..  I have not seen many toyota problems less people around detroit buy them.. I know there is big problems with the 5 cylinder that was in the Colorado canyon chevy products..  blowing head gaskets but the four cylinder was fine..  also know the ford 5.4L. In yhe 3 valve motor  Had the problem of leaving a swaged end on the spark plug in the motor..  when changing the plugs. Only real fix was doing the head gasket and head at that point.. also Honda has had problems with there transmissions on some of the trucks I think the ridgelinewas the big problem with transmissions..  same with heavy towing on the 5.4L ford we had our torque converter replaced on ours.. not hearing many problems with the silverado.. dodge I am hearing goes threw tires every 12,000 miles in the ram 1500 trucks.. as for the new ford ranger still to new right now to coment on.. the ecoboost ford were really well made too.. but just take this with a grain of salt cause its just advise to make it so your mechanic don't make as much..

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:13 PM »
A few pieces of advice I'd give is if you're buying a used vehicle make sure it's certified, the warranty that comes with certified vehicles is a good piece of mind, and make sure you understand what the certification warranty covers.  Even if it's a certified vehicle I'd invest in an extended warranty for the added peace of mind.  Also look for a vehicle on www.Carguru.com, this site gives you lots of info such as how long it's been for sale, number of owners, and if there's been any changes in price.  When I was buying my truck I checked it out on Carguru and found out they jacked up the price by $1,000 the week before so when I was talking with the salesman about buying it he gave me the jacked up price and I told him I'm only paying the cheaper price, I saw it on Carguru, and showed it to him.  He pulled the I have to talk with the manager and when he came back he said they can't find it so I pulled it up on my phone and showed the both of them again and I ended up starting off at the cheaper price.  I'm sure they weren't happy with me about it but tough crap, my money is better in my pocket than their's. 

I've had a 2004 extended cab, 2008 extended cab, and now a 2014 super crew cab (four full sized doors)Ford F150 and liked them all no major problems but I stay on top of the maintenance.   As other people said before it's better to go bigger rather than smaller especially if you have kids.  My extended cab trucks worked great for me until the kids started getting bigger and they started complaining about not having enough room.  If I bought a super crew cab when I bought my 2008 I wouldn't have ended up buying the 2014.  Oh and there's one other thing about buying a truck, when you never had one you don't realize what you're missing but once you have one you'll ask yourself how you ever managed without one and will NEVER want to be without one.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2018, 04:13 AM »
A few pieces of advice I'd give is if you're buying a used vehicle make sure it's certified, the warranty that comes with certified vehicles is a good piece of mind, and make sure you understand what the certification warranty covers.  Even if it's a certified vehicle I'd invest in an extended warranty for the added peace of mind.  Also look for a vehicle on www.Carguru.com, this site gives you lots of info such as how long it's been for sale, number of owners, and if there's been any changes in price.  When I was buying my truck I checked it out on Carguru and found out they jacked up the price by $1,000 the week before so when I was talking with the salesman about buying it he gave me the jacked up price and I told him I'm only paying the cheaper price, I saw it on Carguru, and showed it to him.  He pulled the I have to talk with the manager and when he came back he said they can't find it so I pulled it up on my phone and showed the both of them again and I ended up starting off at the cheaper price.  I'm sure they weren't happy with me about it but tough crap, my money is better in my pocket than their's. 

I've had a 2004 extended cab, 2008 extended cab, and now a 2014 super crew cab (four full sized doors)Ford F150 and liked them all no major problems but I stay on top of the maintenance.   As other people said before it's better to go bigger rather than smaller especially if you have kids.  My extended cab trucks worked great for me until the kids started getting bigger and they started complaining about not having enough room.  If I bought a super crew cab when I bought my 2008 I wouldn't have ended up buying the 2014.  Oh and there's one other thing about buying a truck, when you never had one you don't realize what you're missing but once you have one you'll ask yourself how you ever managed without one and will NEVER want to be without one.

Exactly what I did...good words of advice.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:56 AM »
I’m surprised there are so many Taco lovers here, especially up north. Google frame rust recall from the cheap multi piece frame. Poor transmission programming along with torque converter shudder issues. Poor ride, noisey cabin, incurable vibing front end. But the engine is good.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I’m surprised there are so many Taco lovers here, especially up north. Google frame rust recall from the cheap multi piece frame. Poor transmission programming along with torque converter shudder issues. Poor ride, noisey cabin, incurable vibing front end. But the engine is good.
you nailed some issues with my Nissan Frontier.lol.torque converter shudder if you dont change transmission fluid every few years.noisey cabin and theres barely any rust on the truck itself but the bumper rotted off.good engine tho and pretty tough 4x4.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.