Author Topic: Lunch on the ice  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Lunch on the ice
« Reply #30 on: Sep 06, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Curious what people bring out on the ice to eat while fishing?

In the wheel house....I broil steaks, cook soup, make bacon & eggs, pizza, noodle cups, popcorn, beef jerky, lasagna, pretty much anything....etc. what I hope to eat is fresh caught fish.......last year I had two trips that I never got to eat fresh fish.....sucks.

In the flipover a I usually do beef sticks, sandwiches, and chips.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 07, 2018, 05:12 AM »
anything from cold hotpockets to fresh caught fish, sandwiches to steak. One guy I know loves cooking on the ice almost more than fishing and if he's in the group you can be sure of brat sandwiches and chili. Another buddy always has venison hotdogs! Last time I cooked on the ice I brought some pickerel patties and made sandwiches.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Sep 07, 2018, 07:32 AM »
I bring my Weber Baby Q and cook hamburgers, hot dogs, sausage and peppers, venison and heat up all kinds of leftovers.
Everything tastes better on the ice!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #33 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I go ice fishing to fish. If I want to eat a meal I will go home or eat before I go. I sometimes grab a couple of candy bars at a gas station on the way if I need beer or gas that is about it.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I normally just bring a sandwich, but last year I brought out my Weber Q once one of my other buddies finally got a sled.  Prior to that, I literally dragged all of our gear so I didn't have any extra room.  The hot meal on the ice was sweet and I'm definitely going to do that again this year.  Only takes a second to throw a couple burgers on and I still fish while it's cooking.  I set the grill up right outside the shanty, so I don't even have to go out in the cold.  Just unzip the door halfway, reach out, and tend to the grill! We've also ordered pizzas to the parking lot when we're fishing inland lakes.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:24 AM »
I try not to do anything on the ice (i.e. eat) that will make me have to use the boys room when I'm on a lake and 30 minutes away from a gas station.

There's nothing worse than being out in the middle of a lake, on a hot bite, and having to go #2.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I try not to do anything on the ice (i.e. eat) that will make me have to use the boys room when I'm on a lake and 30 minutes away from a gas station.

There's nothing worse than being out in the middle of a lake, on a hot bite, and having to go #2.

You need to bring one of these ;D

Offline Hookerhooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Sep 07, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I don't always eat on the ice.....
But when I do it's tamales!! ;D ;D

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Sep 07, 2018, 05:16 PM »
If I'm far enough away from home I bring a fillet knife, Coleman stove, pan & fixings. ;)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Hot dogs Hoffman or fresh from the butcher shop dogs.  on overnight walleye expeditions we precook rice and chicken and shred it, on the ice we heat it up in a skillet with teriyaki sauce and fresh pepper and onions throw it in a wrap delish. Did cold food on the ice for ages, then discovered how nice a hot meal makes the day, won't go back. If the bite is hot, we don't eat except for the snacks we bring. :-) 
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Sep 10, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Venison summer sausage , venison jerky, cheese, crackers and mustard ....

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #41 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Those sausages look awesome....I'll have to see if I have enough venison to do a batch of that.....do you mix with beef or pork?  Not to hi jack....I'll pm ya.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #42 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:51 PM »
I go ice fishing to fish. If I want to eat a meal I will go home or eat before I go. I sometimes grab a couple of candy bars at a gas station on the way if I need beer or gas that is about it.
.        Same here, mainly go to fish, unless in middle of Lake Erie all day

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #43 on: Sep 10, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Im diabetic so i bring a candy bar in case my blood sugar goes low.bring some jerky,fruit of some sort,chips and donut.i figure i can burn off some of that sugar drilling holes.lol.i sometimes cook on my coleman cooker that i made that bolts on top of my lantern.hotdogs or reheat pizza slices.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Sep 10, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Those sausages look awesome....I'll have to see if I have enough venison to do a batch of that.....do you mix with beef or pork?  Not to hi jack....I'll pm ya.

I mix bacon in instead..
No secrets all Hi Mountain... ;)

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Sep 10, 2018, 04:32 PM »
I use to cook a lot on the ice,fed the gang. Now it's my son and I mostly. He's a all day snacker not a big meal guy like me. So basically is the same some as  Raquettedacker brings. Snack sticks,summer sausage,jerky,baloney,a couple kinds of cubed cheese and crackers. We shoot 5-6 deer a year so I'm always making something in the smoker. Also make my own air dried salami,and cappacolla

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Sep 10, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Venison summer sausage , venison jerky, cheese, crackers and mustard ....

Looks amazing!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #47 on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I reheat pre-prepared meals on my Mr. Heater, ziti, chicken penne alfrado, and mac and cheese is a favorite.

Sometimes frank and beans or sausage, onions and peppers.

Piping hot coffee is mandatory.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Sep 10, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Santiago’s breakfast burrito with half and half green chili. The Colorado guys know what I’m talking about.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:14 AM »
We reheat some premade stuff in small aluminum pans from the dollar store. A favorite breakfast is chorizo sausage on hawain sweet rolls, with egg and cheese, topped with butter and syrup.  Lunch/dinner is all over, I like a thick tomato basil soup and grilled cheese. Mushroom brie soup is another fav. Bbq chipped ham sandwiches, ny brother sometimes brings out roast with veggies. The only meal that really failed was ribs, trying to reheat, they burnt badly. 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #50 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:32 AM »
We reheat some premade stuff in small aluminum pans from the dollar store. A favorite breakfast is chorizo sausage on hawain sweet rolls, with egg and cheese, topped with butter and syrup.  Lunch/dinner is all over, I like a thick tomato basil soup and grilled cheese. Mushroom brie soup is another fav. Bbq chipped ham sandwiches, ny brother sometimes brings out roast with veggies. The only meal that really failed was ribs, trying to reheat, they burnt badly.

I make ham, egg and cheese omelets. Rewarm them and placed on pita bread. I did get a smaller Stanley pot that nest outside the other pot for soup. That soup and grilled cheese sandwich sounds good. I have a copper cooking sheet, I'm going to give grilled cheese a shot this winter. 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:19 AM »

I make ham, egg and cheese omelets. Rewarm them and placed on pita bread. I did get a smaller Stanley pot that nest outside the other pot for soup. That soup and grilled cheese sandwich sounds good. I have a copper cooking sheet, I'm going to give grilled cheese a shot this winter.

That copper cooking sheet could be a game changer for those Mr Heater mods ...my buddy has one that he uses on his BBQ grill seems to work and holding up as well .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:43 AM »
ok im intrigued....are you talking about those copper grill mats?  Seems like glorified tin foil, unless they were a lot thicker....Ive got a paint screen fashioned on my mr buddy, wondering if something like that would help out.....I would think if it were a lot thicker and could stand on its own..then it would spread the heat out evenly....what am I missing here.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:19 AM »
ok im intrigued....are you talking about those copper grill mats?  Seems like glorified tin foil, unless they were a lot thicker....Ive got a paint screen fashioned on my mr buddy, wondering if something like that would help out.....I would think if it were a lot thicker and could stand on its own..then it would spread the heat out evenly....what am I missing here.

They hold up very well. I have a Buddy with a grate. I use them to grill,  like grilled cheese.  Get them at Walmart and cut them in half to fit perfect. No stick so they wash easily to use over and over.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yoshi-Copper-Grill-Mat-2-count/123260074

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:46 AM »
I would be wary of teflon mats.....teflon is not a stable material at high heats.  Not that a buddy heater would get over 500 degrees....but.....Jus t an fyi...im an old cookware guy, so have always known the dangers of leaving a dry teflon pan on a hot burner......
SUMMARY:
Above 570°F (300°C), Teflon coatings may begin to break down, releasing toxic fumes into the air. These fumes can cause temporary, flu-like symptoms known as polymer fume fever.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #56 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:21 PM »
They hold up very well. I have a Buddy with a grate. I use them to grill,  like grilled cheese.  Get them at Walmart and cut them in half to fit perfect. No stick so they wash easily to use over and over.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yoshi-Copper-Grill-Mat-2-count/123260074

That's the one I purchased, I don't care for it on the grill. But...  I think it will do the job on grilled cheese on the Mr. Heater, should keep the mess to a minimum also.

May do a test run in the next couple of weeks...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Sep 12, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I reheat pre-prepared meals on my Mr. Heater, ziti, chicken penne alfrado, and mac and cheese is a favorite.
(Image removed from quote.)
Sometimes frank and beans or sausage, onions and peppers.
Piping hot coffee is mandatory.
WHere did you get your rack for the heater?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #58 on: Sep 12, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I made it with another grill I ordered from Mr. Heater, a couple of bends and drill two holes, your all set. It is easy on and off, very sturdy and has worked well for me. Here's info to order and more pics...    http://www.mrheater.com/find-servicecenter/

Keep America Godly...

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Sep 12, 2018, 01:42 PM »
I made it with another grill I ordered from Mr. Heater, a couple of bends and drill two holes, your all set. It is easy on and off, very sturdy and has worked well for me. Here's info to order and more pics...    http://www.mrheater.com/find-servicecenter/
Wow, that's a slick setup...thanks for the pics.

There is a company online that makes cooking racks for the buddy heaters but they're like $30 before shipping. This looks like a way better option.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.