Author Topic: Looking for new plastic lure mold.  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Looking for new plastic lure mold.
« on: Sep 01, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Below are the molds I have, anyone know of a good ice mold....looking for something new/different then what I have.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for new plastic lure mold.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Don’t know why it didn’t happen till now, but I just got reminded of the toy I had as a kid “Creepy Crawlers”. Liquid plastic you poured into a mold and put into an easy bake oven type thing.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Your next step is custom grasshopper..

Pretty sure they make blank ones, you just carv out both sides and bingo!

Or just make one from scratch..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2018, 09:51 PM »

Found this sweet tiny 1in twister tail....look for it to be a killer. Was a bit suprised just how tiny the 1in is.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2018, 04:18 AM »
where do you get your molds? the ones that I have found are like $70. I'd never make enough to make it worth my while

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:27 AM »
where do you get your molds? the ones that I have found are like $70. I'd never make enough to make it worth my while

Yes molds are not cheap. It is a hobbie IMO to make the plastics.....it's not a money saving deal.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Yes molds are not cheap. It is a hobbie IMO to make the plastics.....it's not a money saving deal.
Same goes for fly tying.

This thing is filled with my “arts and craft” supplies. Those feathers and furs add up quick, let alone all the other materials and tools.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Before I had my boat we did a lot of River fishing and would throw twister tails.

The snags would just eat up lead head twisters. So I bought a lead head mold and a twister tail mold. So I could make them cheap. I think I had it figured once I got the molds the supplies only cost me maybe $0.12.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:51 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N0B6HI6?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
I have been catching smallmouth Bass on this one. I am going to use the tail end for ice fishing this year and see how it goes.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2018, 09:23 PM »
What about making wedge tails??  Like little atom or custom jigs and spins  wedge tails ? The finer thd better I find when using wedge tails..  if after gills and perch wedge tails are a must for the arsenal!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2018, 09:33 PM »
What about making wedge tails??  Like little atom or custom jigs and spins  wedge tails ? The finer thd better I find when using wedge tails..  if after gills and perch wedge tails are a must for the arsenal!

Isn't that what the third was in from the right side.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2018, 11:31 PM »
Isn't that what the third was in from the right side.

That's a nuggie basically a perch eye with a wedge tail that's a good to have one too..  that and maybe a split tail type minnow that look like gulp minnows or fin-s-minnows.. we like the 1 inch versions of those.. for our crappie..

Offline Shark.lv

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2018, 05:57 AM »
Below are the molds I have, anyone know of a good ice mold....looking for something new/different then what I have.

Hi! Such fit?

Shark Ice Fishing Lures
http://shark.lv/en

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2018, 06:46 AM »
I like the idea of a tiny fluke type minnow.  Drop shot that little sucker above a 4mm jig.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2018, 12:00 AM »
Picked up 1.5 in one.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Hi! Such fit?

Not bad....how are the sizes for gills?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:41 AM »
Picked up 1.5 in one.

A lot of guys use the bigger version on the rivers jigging for eyes I been using them for crappie mostly with trout head jigs by them selfs or  two or three rigged 4 inches apart  drop shotted on a single point hook.. any way you do it you find fish.. if you got gulp you can dip the plastics in the container but the sent wares off easier then the sponge gulp is made out of.. and they spit out the soft plastic quicker once relized usally?? . I like 1/100 to 1/60 of a once trout head jigs for these smaller plastics .. you might want to get a lead mold for those if you don't already have one??  No collar on the jig head it tends to tare plastic more on the smaller minnows.. the mold your ordering looks like it makes a great minnow plastic ..  maybe for your next maybe a waxy pattren?? With a mousie type tail?? Like a wedgie tail??

Might want to check out these painting soft plastics videos too.

https://youtu.be/aGUgS9OdEKI

https://youtu.be/T2RN-bsRp_8

Offline Shark.lv

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:52 AM »
Not bad....how are the sizes for gills?
Sorry, what do you mean sizes for gill?
Shark Ice Fishing Lures

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Blue gills......I was refering to/asking if the plastics in the picture worked on blue gills. They seemed to be a bit on the larger size so I didn't know if the poster used them on Gills or not.

Here in NW Iowa we have a lot of farm ponds, gravel pits, and smaller type lakes/barrow pits.........so the Iowa DNR has a standard catfish/LM Bass/Blue Gill stocking program on these bodies of water. Once in awhile you might see some crappie or perch, or the invasive yellow bass.

Due to this I tend to end up fishing a lot of blue gills, and I have tried to keep my plastics at 2in or under in size because I felt that it gets to be a little big for gills after 2in.......So, due to that I have bought a lot of 1.5in to 0.75in size plastic molds.

I can't say that I've given 2in + plastics much of a try so I though I'd ask the poster if those large plastics worked on gills.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:57 AM »
2” seems a bit big for gills, I usually use a 3/4” to 1” plastic, and do very well

Offline Shark.lv

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Blue gills......I was refering to/asking if the plastics in the picture worked on blue gills. They seemed to be a bit on the larger size so I didn't know if the poster used them on Gills or not.

Here in NW Iowa we have a lot of farm ponds, gravel pits, and smaller type lakes/barrow pits.........so the Iowa DNR has a standard catfish/LM Bass/Blue Gill stocking program on these bodies of water. Once in awhile you might see some crappie or perch, or the invasive yellow bass.

Due to this I tend to end up fishing a lot of blue gills, and I have tried to keep my plastics at 2in or under in size because I felt that it gets to be a little big for gills after 2in.......So, due to that I have bought a lot of 1.5in to 0.75in size plastic molds.

I can't say that I've given 2in + plastics much of a try so I though I'd ask the poster if those large plastics worked on gills.

So, bluegills can grow up to 12 inches (30 cm) long and about 4 1⁄2 pounds (2.0 kg). We don't think that this plastics will be big for this fish. We have sizes from 1.5 cm to 4 cm. If you are in doubt - take one jar for testing, we will give you choice with smells that we can add to the jar and available colors. If you are interested, write us a pm message and we will help you make an order!

Shark Ice Fishing Lures

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Very, very, very few will reach that size, unless world record. Most gills are 7-9” range

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:58 AM »

How much to shoot me 100 of the second one from the left (Ratso copy) in black? I live in NW Iowa and fish IGL at least once a week. The other weekend day I'm normally in the area at various other spots.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:10 PM »

I agree, for the most part, that 1.5" is around the max size for consistent Gill action, but some of those gravel pits and borrow pits where we are have those feisty hybrids that definitely would not shy away from a 2" bait.  I catch a lot of those on crappie sized stuff!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Made a few today.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 29, 2018, 01:42 PM »
How much to shoot me 100 of the second one from the left (Ratso copy) in black? I live in NW Iowa and fish IGL at least once a week. The other weekend day I'm normally in the area at various other spots.

I would...but don’t have black in color

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 29, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Just an update, the mayday mayfly bait was just to big for panfish....so I sold it and got a nano fry coming with a lamb plate.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 29, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Just an update, the mayday mayfly bait was just to big for panfish....so I sold it and got a nano fry coming with a lamb plate.

You just need to get on better fish Agro...  :whistle: Bet it'd be a smokin' jumbo perch offering. They love those mayflies. ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 29, 2018, 04:34 PM »
You just need to get on better fish Agro...  :whistle: Bet it'd be a smokin' jumbo perch offering. They love those mayflies. ;D

Maybe....was just to big to use very often. Figured I'd sell in and find a new style one in that 1-1.5in range. Liked the style just not the size.

I've found the 1/32 & 1/16 oz collarless round head jigs have been working well for me and fall decent enough I don't feel like I need tungsten.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Hi! Such fit?

I'd love to get a mold of the plastic on the far left (Orange) in a 1.25 in size.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.