Author Topic: Showdown Fish Finder hands on Review's!!  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Showdown Fish Finder hands on Review's!!
« on: Dec 29, 2008, 03:47 PM »
This thread is for those who own or have previously owned a Showdown fish finder... 

What was your experience like using the Showdown? Pro's or Con's...

Cheers

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
Re: Showdown Fish Finder hands on Review's!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2008, 03:57 PM »
I got one for Christmas, used it once already and really liked it. It's the first flasher/sonar I've used. Its awesome when you see the black bar come straight up to your jig.... fish on!

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:32 PM »
I got one for my birthday in November and used it for the first time last Friday. Absolutely love the thing. I like the vertical water column instead of the circle and love how you can watch maggots float all the way to the bottom if a fish don't grab them first.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:01 PM »
my buddies' got one.. and i LOVE it! it shows some static in the middle a little bit bu tdoesnt bother anything much.. you cann see the fish go right to your lure then turn right back around.. its pretty fun to just watch it as you jig n what not.. it also helps setting tip up depths real fast.  :tipup:

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:29 PM »
I bought one just the other day - love it.  I had an old Hummingbird flasher and this was a big improvement.  I did some research and it seemed there were some problems when the unit first hit the market but they were corrected.  Someone posted a youtube video which helped convince me to buy it: 

I've seen a few posts from guys who don't like it, but I suspect some of the diehard flasher fans will always feel that way - almost like Chevy vs. Ford fans.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline thee_other_white_meat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Where can one find pictures and prices and other info for these?
A wise monkey never monkies with another monkey`s monkey!!!

Offline bigfjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:56 PM »
i was looking at them earlier today www.showdownfishfinder .com    they have a couple vids on there...and i seen some brand new units on ebay for 249.....i like the looks of how it works

Offline rett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:10 PM »
I just bought one on Friday.  Charged it up and took it out on Sat.  It worked great!!!   I had just turned it on and dropped my lure down the hole.  I saw two lines.. one at 10 ft and one at 5.  I dropped my lure down to where the line at 10 was and I got a nice gill. Other than the fuse blowing after the first day, I have had no problems.  I am not sure how I fished all these years without one

Offline thee_other_white_meat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:56 PM »
i was looking at them earlier today www.showdownfishfinder .com    they have a couple vids on there...and i seen some brand new units on ebay for 249.....i like the looks of how it works
Thanks bigfjr! I`m going to go check em` out.
A wise monkey never monkies with another monkey`s monkey!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:01 PM »
I want one so bad. Just cant afford it at the moment.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:48 PM »
i really want one too..  :-X

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2008, 01:07 AM »
Got my vote for a Showdown OVER a flasher!  Multiple reasons.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2008, 01:20 AM »
Got one for x-mas myself. I guess they have a heated screen feature. But as its -40 up here for a week I dont think I'll try it just yet...

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2008, 01:50 AM »
they are a nice product and very very sensitive can pick up a 1/64th jig at sensitivity 1 very affordable and compact and like lonefisher said they are way easier to set tip ups to the level that the fish are at instead of where your bobber is they claim it can shoot through the ice but havent been able to find any clear ice to try it out. the only complaint i have is that sometimes you have to fiddle around with it to lock bottom but a guy can work around that. i give it an A.

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:08 AM »
Sound like i better start saving! ;D

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:15 AM »
brokenline,

I forgot about the shooting through ice I tried that out as well on a little over twelve inches and it worked awesome am jacked that we can check the depth with out drilling.  ;D

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:17 PM »
  Birthday List:
1. Showdown
2. Showdown
3. Showdown
4. I WANT A SHOWDOWN!!

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2009, 01:05 PM »

I just got ahold of my local sport store and they had 1 left, so I got it put on hold for me to pick up in a bit. They're everyday price on it is $229.95. I saw on 1 off eBay they had another auction for the next 3 days of $229.61 plus shipping and they had a code for $5 off shipping. But now I don't have to go that route!

Offline Downsea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:04 PM »
I used mine everytime we went out last year and never had a problem. The only thing that happend is the line stopper fell in and sunk.  I ordered two stoppers online before Christmas and have 'em in the bag.  When my wife goes out she generally takes the Showdown over and thinks it's hers exclusively.  She keeps it in her hole  :o in the shanty.  Seems like a great unit for the money.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Took it out New Years day and thought it performed really well with one exception which I'll get to shortly...   The LCD display worked flawlessly with no slow-down ( had the internal heater on the entire time) as the temperature never got above -10c.  The display was always easy to see, It didn't matter if you were in direct sun light or in the darkness of a shelter I could read it perfectly... 

Here's where I had a bit of a problem!  I'm not sure if it's because of the bottom structure but it had problems finding bottom now and again...  When the unit zeroed in, it worked beyond my expectations, but when it couldn't find bottom it was a bit frustrating...  It would jump from the actual depth which was around 35ft to 1.5ft and was a never ending cycle until I played with the sensitivity and noise functions!!!  Their were a couple of competing until about 100ft away....   That's the really the only problem that I encountered!!!

Personally I really like the unit and I hope it doesn't give me as much trouble finding the bottom in the future!!!

Cheers

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:13 PM »
do you get static in the middle of the water column? it looks like theres fuzz right in the middle of the bottom and top on the screen. What can i do to fix this? ???

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Took it out New Years day and thought it performed really well with one exception which I'll get to shortly...   The LCD display worked flawlessly with no slow-down ( had the internal heater on the entire time) as the temperature never got above -10c.  The display was always easy to see, It didn't matter if you were in direct sun light or in the darkness of a shelter I could read it perfectly... 

Here's where I had a bit of a problem!  I'm not sure if it's because of the bottom structure but it had problems finding bottom now and again...  When the unit zeroed in, it worked beyond my expectations, but when it couldn't find bottom it was a bit frustrating...  It would jump from the actual depth which was around 35ft to 1.5ft and was a never ending cycle until I played with the sensitivity and noise functions!!!  Their were a couple of competing until about 100ft away....   That's the really the only problem that I encountered!!!

Personally I really like the unit and I hope it doesn't give me as much trouble finding the bottom in the future!!!

Cheers

Hey Airs24, Where did you buy your Showdown? I was at Bass Pro in Toronto on the weekend and the guy there told me they don't carry them anymore, and he didn't say why. So now I have to try and find someone else that sells them up here in Canada
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.