Author Topic: Where to find a old fashioned AM/FM radio  (Read 968 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where to find a old fashioned AM/FM radio
« on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:13 AM »
I don't use my phone for a radio anyone know where I can find an old radio the battery type? they are hard to find the one I have now is on it's last leg. Do they even make them any more? I like to listen when I'm fishing winter or summer.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where to find a old fashioned AM/FM radio
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Do you have battery operated power tools?  Get a jobsite radio that is compatible
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:20 AM »
Google knows

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Amazon, Walmart, Kohl's and others. You may have to order one. There are some nice portable weather radios out there also and some are weatherproof.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Google am fm portable radios, lots of news ones to look at ,or check goodwill stores, garage sales

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:23 AM »
yard sales and salvation army/savers where i get disposable radios ...fresh batteries cost more than the radio

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Check out the weather radio thread. I am going to get one!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:29 AM »
X2 on the jobsite radio if you have a set of cordless tooks.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:01 PM »
My phone is an "actual" FM tuner where you plug in a headphone and it uses the headphone wires as an attenna... it is an actual FM tuner and not a "online streamer"

I do not get cell service (I'm roaming but do not want data rates) out on the bay of Green bay... but I can use the FM tuner to listen to (garbage) Packer games, the news, music etc.

I use a floating bluetooth speaker if I want to jam out a bit.

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:05 PM »
https://www.ccrane.com/
The leader in radio communications. I still have an unblocked handheld BC 2500XLT scanner I got from them in the 80s. Monitors All[/b] coomunications

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:15 PM »
I recently took a chance on a strict FM/Am radio on Amazon that has really good reviews and it's been great. https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D18BB-Portable-Protective-Black/dp/B07JGC9JSD/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546456258&sr=1-11&keywords=radio

It's not old fashioned it's actually digital but that's what you want these days. It has some sort of digital tuning feature that locks onto radio stations. It's the best performing radio I have ever used.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Got one with my Ridgid drill set, part of the package.   No worries about batteries,   2, 4, 9 amp Ridgid batteries to use.
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:20 PM »
They can be found anywhere, portable am/fm or pocket radios even. There are a ton of vintage options on eBay that were built to last forever as well if you do a little research on what was good back then.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:35 PM »
I bought this LaCrosse radio a few years ago and LOVE everything about it! Size, durability, quality and reception. It even has built in flashlight and 7 station weatherband!
I take it when fishing, camping and backpacking. Best $30 I ever spent!

https://www.cabelas.com/product/La-Crosse-Technology-Handheld-AM-FM-NOAA-Weather-Radio/1435335.uts
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Bought one from Wally World $10.  Fits in my pocket.  A set of 2aa batteries last a half a year with everyday us.  I can pick up station as far away as 500 miles on Am.  Where I live I can get stations from Philly to Chicago to Virginia to Buffalo. 

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:59 PM »
I have a Lacrosse also, am-fm-wb - use ruttnutt's link to view unit, bought mine direct from Lacrosse, they have several different models available, good luck
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:00 PM »
Have a look at an Eaton/ Grundig. some small even with wind up recharge.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:40 PM »
I have one that you can even hand crank to charge it up. I take it camping as it has weather alerts. But it makes a great little radio and it has shortwave too. I can't remember the name but I got it at radio shack and although they are gone I bet someone makes something like it yet.

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Bought one from Wally World $10.  Fits in my pocket.  A set of 2aa batteries last a half a year with everyday use.   I can pick up station as far away as 500 miles on Am.  Where I live I can get stations from Philly to Chicago to Virginia to Buffalo.  It's made by Sony.

Offline johnb340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:05 AM »
I have the LaCrosse Model 810-805 that was mentioned and like it too.  If you want a basic radio with a weather band then this works great.  It won't weather alert you while the radio is playing though and the way the alert works on this radio is a joke!  It also doesn't have a clock, no scanning, no programming but it's rugged and has good ways to tether so it don't go down the hole. It also has a dc jack that isn't needed because the batteries last forever and has a light which is nice too.

I also have a Sangean DT-400W and this radio is more expensive but has all of the things that the LaCrosse should have like, weather alert while radio is playing, clock, scanning, programming.  It takes an earbud wire in the headphone jack like cellphones for an antenna which I hate.  What I did was remove the earbud wire and put an adapter that has the earbud style plug on one end and the other end has like a tv round cable style end so it's short and does the same as the wire antenna did without the wire mess and there isn't a long antenna to break.  This radio isn't perfect either because the only tethering option is a belt clip which I don't like and the LaCross tethering option is far better.  It also doesn't have a light. 

If I had to pick between the 2 radios I'd probably pick the LaCrosse but wish I could get a mix of the 2.  I know you said old fashioned radio but I'd stay away from those because the analog tuners drift horribly. 

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:27 PM »
If you have dewalt 12 to 20 volt batteries for a cordless drill they have one that is AMAZING. I have had it for 5 years now and this thing is bomb proof. Been dumped out the truck. Fell into ice holes. Been left in the rain for days. Never has failed me. It doesn't charge battery but will run off 120 or your batteries. Use this radio every night in my garage can't say anything but good things about this radio. Added a 3 foot piece of aluminum tig welding rod to antenna and rap to my metal frame in my clam flip over and get every radio station clear as day.

America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline living the dream

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Check out https://www.ccrane.com and here specials/closeouts. I have had good luck with their radio in Alaska.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.