The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Question??  (Read 466 times)

Offline od21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Question??
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I was fishing a cove off the CT River and landed several pike about 4-6 pounds . Two of the pike had lampreys attached to them. The lamprey's were about 6-8 inches long . I was wondering if the pike population would be hurt by them. Anyway the seagulls found them delicious. I almost used them as bait.

Offline Dave Mullert

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Question??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:18 PM »
those things are nasty.  i had one attack a shad this spring in the palmer river.  they don't like to let go.  i doubt the pike population would be hurt by them, never heard of them being a threat before.  quite the coincidence however

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:45 PM »
od21 i have a question for you lol. do you fish coves of the river often? theres a cove that i drive by all the time next to 202 in holyoke at the bottom of the bridge and i was wondering if anyones ever fished it through the ice before. if you dont wana give up the info cus its a good spot thats cool with me just figured id ask
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Lampreys are nasty and can kill the fish they're attached to if they're on long enough - anytime I catch a fish with one attached to it I pull it off and cut off the head.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline od21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:31 PM »
od21 i have a question for you lol. do you fish coves of the river often? theres a cove that i drive by all the time next to 202 in holyoke at the bottom of the bridge and i was wondering if anyones ever fished it through the ice before. if you dont wana give up the info cus its a good spot thats cool with me just figured id ask
yes you can fish that cove but you need river knowledge. I duck hunt that cove so I walk out to set up my deeks so I know where the channel is, anyway it is very shallow but you only need 4 ft for pike. This is a end of Jan,beginning of Feb spot. I'm sharing this with you because I don't think you would risk going there without knowing the river. It is also affected by the dam and flow. I woud offer to meet you sometime I live in South Hadley

Of course there is also the gentlemen's offering of one of your spot's. PM me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.