Author Topic: Ripping rap rod  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ripping rap rod
« on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:49 AM »
I am wondering what kind of action and how you would want your rod to respond to using baits like jigging raps, ripping rap, chubby darter, ect…  I am not looking for any brand names of rods but how you see them react to using the lure and why you like it.

For example: (not sure if this would be a good design) at rest the lure puts a light load on the tip and has a fast light tip to keep the line tight when jigging.  About 3” back moves into a heaver section into a fast action rod for hook ups.

I am going to start using these types of lures this year and am looking for some advice on how to shape the blank on the rod I am making.  Thank you for your replies.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Ripping rap rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Im thinking glass, a semi fast tip, and a rod with enough backbone to set the hook, but also a little forgiveness as to not rip it out of the fishes mouth, if that makes sense.....

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:31 AM »
I like a lake trout style for, some back bone to set the hook with a bit of tip. I use a med/heavy but also use a medium a lot with lighter raps and rippin raps when smaller walleye on the prowl. I been using Basskang blanks, but they are out of stock right now.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Thank you for the insight perchnut.  That makes sense.  I have never ice fished with this style of baits.  So that helps.

Appleye, are you saying you like the Basskang trout carbon blank for this?  I do have two of them in my shop.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:29 PM »
I really like the Basskang blank! I think it's about prefect.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2018, 06:53 PM »
The one with the cork handle in this pic. XF action! Too slow and you cant get that snap.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Thank you for sharing that picture Kevin.  I think I have the right rod action now and like how the lures react with it.    I sanded the blank to an extra fast action and tested it in a 5 gallon bucket last night.  The fish will tell me if I did it right once I finish the rod.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Which blank did you go with?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Thank you for sharing that picture Kevin.  I think I have the right rod action now and like how the lures react with it.    I sanded the blank to an extra fast action and tested it in a 5 gallon bucket last night.  The fish will tell me if I did it right once I finish the rod.

You're welcome! The short story is fast to "backbone" (stiffer part of tip really) for ripping and popping the jigging/rippin raps, but a soft tip to rock the baits to get the hit once you get him there.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:25 PM »
anyone use rapala slab taps in moderate currents like lake Erie want to try them here in NY

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:42 PM »
What is the best way to sand a blank... Like if I buy a ul blank and want to noodle it... Do u do this by hand or by drill? Do u use a stand like the wrapping device or just freehand it... And is it easier to do with glass or graphite

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:33 AM »
I went with Sportsmen’s Direct SDI IHS MH.  I have been taking just a little off at a time and using rubber bands to hold the guides on to test with a lure.
I sand my blanks on my wood lathe around 1800 or more rpm but you could use a drill.  I just hold the blank in one hand to keep it steady and use the other to run the sandpaper down the blank.  Now there are some health concerns when shaping blanks.
Use a mask.
Use wet sandpaper to help keep the dust down and keep rinsing it throughout the process.
You will want to sand from the butt to the tip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.