Author Topic: Trophy Strike 120 volt Auger....  (Read 13474 times)

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trophy Strike 120 volt Auger....
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:30 PM »
I don my 't think u could go wrong getting 1 even so they took care of my  issues  n that's says a lot that they take care of  their customers

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:58 PM »
I am planning to purchase the 120 volt Trophy Strike.  Does anyone know if the mechanical impact feature on the 2017 model is worth the extra two pounds?  Conversely, have there been any problems with it that would make me want to order the 2018 model?  It seems like it would help, but they had to remove it in the newer model for a reason.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:57 PM »
I am planning to purchase the 120 volt Trophy Strike.  Does anyone know if the mechanical impact feature on the 2017 model is worth the extra two pounds?  Conversely, have there been any problems with it that would make me want to order the 2018 model?  It seems like it would help, but they had to remove it in the newer model for a reason.

I don't see any reason to think you need more than whats on the 2018 model.

See my post below on todays performance...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Took the Trophy Strike to the ice today, air temp when I arrived 30, when I left the ice today, 41.

Drilled 71 holes through 18-20 inches of good solid ice.

1278-1420 inches total

106.5-118.3 feet of ice drilled total.

Battery still had between 1/4 and 1/2 of it's charge remaining.

Offline slushybeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I was on the ice yesterday and had a buddy coming out so I asked him to fly by my house first and see if the drill was there, it was! He charged it for a little bit and brought it out to me. I was hoping to drill a bunch of holes but we were already on a nice school of walleye so I only drilled about 10 to hole hop. I must say, it used to be a chore drilling holes with the heavy propane auger, now it's a blast. I can't wait to use this more and I know it'll make me more mobile since I don't mind drilling holes now.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Wanted to give a quick shout out to Trophy Strike's customer service.  After reading the reviews on the forum and talking to one of the service techs, I decided to pull the trigger on the 2018 model of the 120V auger.  I screwed up though and ordered the 2017 model by mistake.  Trophy Strike (Brendan) was quick to work with me on returning the 2017 model and ordering the 2018 model.  I'll miss out on using it this weekend but will have it going forward.

The gal processing their orders, Abby, also impressed me.  She emailed me to make sure the second order wasn't a mistake before she processed it since they were placed three days apart.  She also wanted to confirm the shipping address as I have Monday off and had it shipped to my house instead of the office like the first order.  Don't see that level of attention to detail and care many places anymore.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Pretty slow day for the Trophy Strike today.

Started out just below freezing, got up to 34 today.

37 holes drilled through 18-20 inches of solid ice

660-740 inches, 55-62 feet of ice.

Battery still had 3/4's charge remaining...

Went over the auger when I got home, checked blade tightness, etc..found everything as tight as the first day I checked it.

Finish on the auger flight is holding up extremely well, no signs of chipping found....

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Wanted to give a quick shout out to Trophy Strike's customer service.  After reading the reviews on the forum and talking to one of the service techs, I decided to pull the trigger on the 2018 model of the 120V auger.  I screwed up though and ordered the 2017 model by mistake.  Trophy Strike (Brendan) was quick to work with me on returning the 2017 model and ordering the 2018 model.  I'll miss out on using it this weekend but will have it going forward.

The gal processing their orders, Abby, also impressed me.  She emailed me to make sure the second order wasn't a mistake before she processed it since they were placed three days apart.  She also wanted to confirm the shipping address as I have Monday off and had it shipped to my house instead of the office like the first order.  Don't see that level of attention to detail and care many places anymore.

I dealt with Nick, got the same level of service when I spoke to them.  Very helpful and they strive to make sure the customer is happy.

Nice to see some companies are still focused on customer service...

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Cold this morning, think around 10 degrees....

Only drilled 30 holes through 18-20 inches of ice.

Battery had 3/4's charge remaining....

I did get the opportunity to "show off" the auger and demonstrate it to a few guys out there on the ice today though....

Didn't charge battery tonight when I got home, when it goes to the ice tomorrow or Monday we'll see if it'll give me a full days drilling on the remaining charge.....4 guys going so should be in the neighborhood of another 60-70 holes...

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Had it out a couple days ago, only drilled 12-14 holes through 14 inches of ice, didn't bother charging, battery still read full...got to once again demonstrate it to a couple guys out fishing beside me..

Took it out today in 66 degree weather, drilled 58 holes through 14-16 inches of solid black ice, temp had dropped to 44 when I came off the ice, battery still had between 1/4 and 1/2 charge remaining.

Looked auger over again this evening, still nothing is coming loose, blades still as sharp as the day I received it....

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #40 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Thanks for the updates E S.....Sounds like $$$ well spent !!  :thumbsup:

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Thanks for the updates E S.....Sounds like $$$ well spent !!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I think it was a wise choice.

I normally fish with between 2-4 others on a lot of days out, so it gets the opportunity to drill a bunch of holes each trip.

That day I punched over 70 holes through 20 inches and still had battery left was enough to convince me...

If it weren't such a pain in the butt to post vids or pics on this forum I would be....

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:19 PM »
If it weren't such a pain in the butt to post vids or pics on this forum I would be....

With the improvements made to the forum this season it's a piece of cake !!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:28 AM »
The past couple trips to the ice with this auger have been pretty uneventful, no conditions to really push it hard.

Went Friday, temps hovering right around freezing, drilled 27 holes through about a foot of ice, battery showed 3/4 charge remaining.

Didn't charge battery after that trip, went yesterday and drilled 38 holes through 9-10 inches of good solid ice, temps in the 40's.

Battery still showed a 3/4 charge remaining.

Was really hoping to get this auger into some 24 inch or thicker ice this year and punch 50 holes or more, best ice I found was in the neighborhood of 20 inches, but did get the opportunity to punch over 70 holes that trip.

Will have the opportunity to get out a few more times this year, but the really thick ice is gonna have to wait until next ice season.

Overall, this auger appears to be everything Trophy Strike claims it is concerning ease of drilling, speed at which it drills, and battery life.

Checked over the auger again last night and can find no indications of any wear on the unit.

The finish on the auger flights has not chipped or worn thin in any location, including on the edges of the flight where I angled the auger after starting a hole to see if the finish (powdercoat?) would wear or chip.

The center point remains solidly in place, the blades are still as sharp as when brand new, nuts and bolts remained tight without having to periodically tighten, and the finish on the "ring" around the auger bottom had held it's finish equally as well as the auger itself.

Encountered NO switch malfunctions/issues (like a thankfully now out of business electric ice auger "company" made excuses for a few years ago)..

Did not need to use handwarmers in the bag supplied to keep the battery warm during non use periods on the ice, (sadly, I did not have this auger in the time period earlier this year we had the minus 25-35 degree temps where it may have been required)...

These folks must be pretty sure their product is gonna last as they have a five year warranty on the auger, minus the battery and blades..(compare that to the other electric augers out there if you're on the fence about which electric brand to buy)..

Frankly, I'm completely satisfied with this auger.  My nature makes me a shade pessimistic/cynical on manufacturers claims about their products, so part of me wanted to find "something" to list as a "con" instead of just having a list of things I liked, however thats not the case.

Reports from others besides myself about great customer service (getting to speak with a CSR that speaks English here in America instead of some guy named "Bob" from a third world country is worth something in itself these days)., quick response to an issue if something did go wrong with one of their augers, and a flawless performance on the ice is more than enough to make me happy with my purchase and glad I chose this auger over the others out there....

Offline TrophyStrike

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Thought you guys might enjoy this....

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Thought you guys might enjoy this....

Nice!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 29, 2018, 11:14 AM »
I purchased the 120 volt trophy strike and like it a lot.  My question is would a 1000 watt generator be ok to run the charger?  Some times I stay on the ice for 3 days and can drill a lot of holes in that time.  thanks
olefish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.