Author Topic: Marmish fishing rod?  (Read 1569 times)

oakorchardfishking

Marmish fishing rod?
« on: Oct 22, 2006, 09:54 PM »
For those of you unfamiliar with them...

And here is info on them...
http://www.marmish.ca/fishing_rod.html

I am looking into downsizing my gear this year, these fishing rods have kind of caught my attention!
They say they have the ability to hold braided line so you are able to fish Walleye to Salmon...
But delicate enough to go light for panfishing.
They have a wire form strike sensor and they are only 9 inches long... great for packing light!

Anyone use these or have opinions on them?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Marmish fishing rod?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Oh yeah, I love the marmish rods, I own three (or more ?) and I do have one loaded up with fireline and works well. There jig selection is great all so, I keep adding to it every season, great for pannies and I know TGF uses them for very nice sized lakers.

If you are going to make a purchase make a big one all at once as the shipping is $12 flat fee, so if you forget some jigs you will be paying 12$ to have your $3 jigs sent to ya. I recommend a couple of strike indicators as well, so you can change them up with jog size.

One thing that takes some getting use to is the setting of the hook, practise makes perfect, TGF is also the guy to talk to about technique.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Oak, I started fishing them in the middle of last season and I love 'em. I have a couple so if you want to try one out on early ice before ordering, we'll hook up.  IceJunky is right, the hook set is different. With the rod horizontal, when bit you turn your wrist down so the rod is pointing more toward the hole and lift your arm at the same time. It is done with one sweeping motion, and only takes a couple times to get the hang of it. I just ordered one for my grandson for Christmas along with a bunch of jigs. They are nice also. Made of tungsten, they are quite heavy for their size. Never thought about the flat $12 shipping or maybe I would have seen if some guys in the area wanted to go in on an order.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2006, 02:29 PM »
plus oak, he fishes silver so you know the rods have never had a fish on them :D

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2006, 02:52 PM »
plus oak, he fishes silver so you know the rods have never had a fish on them :D

You crack me up.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

billybono

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2006, 03:49 PM »
ive had one in my hands

i wouldent fish with it....ya might better take the money you were going to spend on it an throw it down the hole. what happens when a pike hits your jig

another one that got away story

besides buy american  ;D

billybono

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2006, 05:53 PM »
        Chainsaw

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2006, 10:15 PM »
ive had one in my hands

i wouldent fish with it....ya might better take the money you were going to spend on it an throw it down the hole. what happens when a pike hits your jig

another one that got away story

besides buy american  ;D

billybono

What happens when a pike hits your jig, you ask? You hand bomb him in. Check out the pike that my buddy caught on his little Marmish rod. The pike lips the lure instead of inhaling it like it does most lures. Soon as the strike indicator goes up or down you set. Usually caught in the upper lip so who cares how many teeth they have, they are not going to cut the line. You can break the line if you horse them in as with any system. I have never caught a pike on my marmish rods as don't have them around me. But my buddies in Alberta and Sweden do and send me reports. I have caught an over 6 lb laker on my Marmish and had no problems with the system.

Anyway he didn't have a problem getting this 17 lber in.

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Just picked one up the otehr day, I think I'll spool it up with 4# fireline.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.