Author Topic: DIY ice anchors  (Read 1704 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DIY ice anchors
« on: Sep 28, 2020, 08:58 PM »
I bought 4 of these 'special' screws from H Depot----I forget what they are called but at the end of a 'picture hanging' drill they cut thru the ice very well. Being a camper I naturally put the 'tent pegs'(screws) in at an angle. At that angle the guys would tend to stay put on the screws but I added a loop of nylon strapping anyway. This saves buying that cumbersome special attachment to drive those screws supplied with the tent---a bit slicker, IMO. I am not sure if you need a heavy duty drill to drive those screws with the attach.   

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: DIY ice anchors
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2020, 08:44 PM »
I used to use some stainless steel hex lag eyebolt screws on my Clam 1060 pop up shelter.  Still have the shelter and the screws are still in the suitcase there too.  I have an old bit brace and also the eyebolt drive adaptor.  I drill it in rather easy.  The real problem was removing the eyebolt screws but an oversized flat head screwdrive leveraged into the eyebolt turns the screw very easy and out it comes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:01 AM »
I used to use some stainless steel hex lag eyebolt screws on my Clam 1060 pop up shelter.  Still have the shelter and the screws are still in the suitcase there too.  I have an old bit brace and also the eyebolt drive adaptor.  I drill it in rather easy.  The real problem was removing the eyebolt screws but an oversized flat head screwdrive leveraged into the eyebolt turns the screw very easy and out it comes.
I am using some Eyebolt lags this year and they work on the HT Ent. Anchor attachment.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ht-enterprises-ice-anchor-tool?affcode_c=&msclkid=e465c543c029132b745e9a38ca8cf387&gclid=CPH6h8KznewCFT6qxQIdrXoEUw&gclsrc=ds

Tested it out on a tree root in the ground and it worked great.
<===Lefty===

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Would a rinky dinky drill be sufficient for those eye bolts? The kind I have are super sharp with that 'wedge' cut out of the tip.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Would a rinky dinky drill be sufficient for those eye bolts? The kind I have are super sharp with that 'wedge' cut out of the tip.
Don't know I have a 700 pound Ridgid and it works good enough.
<===Lefty===

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2020, 10:59 AM »
This seems to be no longer made.  Does anybody know differently?

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Cannot see the full anchor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.