Author Topic: A Pre-ice Catch 12/13 Lake Artemesia  (Read 6204 times)

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
A Pre-ice Catch 12/13 Lake Artemesia
« on: Dec 14, 2003, 07:49 AM »
While waiting for some ice to form, we fished from shore for some Trout & Crappie over at Lake Artemesia. We were doing OK catching Bluegills, but no Trout hook-ups. I was fishing a hundred yards away from my son and a friend, when I hear all of this hollering. Made a quick dash back, to find he had landed his biggest Bass of the year at 22.5".

Fish was caught (and released) on crappie jig/ mealworm fished about 3' under a bobber. Maybe it was better that there wasn't any ice, might have been tough to get him thru the hole. Too bad these urban counties don't allow any ice fishing on their lakes, it would be nice to see what hangs out in deeper water.

Anybody else catching much while stuck in this pre-ice stage?

Bob

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
Re:A Pre-ice Catch 12/13 Lake Artemesia
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2003, 08:05 AM »
Nice catch ;D Under a bobber means great action but 50-50 on actually being able to land'm. I think this is bob W's boy. Am I correct? Did you guys do any good on cash this year? Was not able to get on it much this year due to work and kids keeping me busy. Hope to see you guys out on the ice somewhere this year. Keep me posted as to where you guys might hang out and hopefully we can hook up. :'(

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2003, 05:22 PM »
Genz,

Yeah that's him, and I'm Bob W. As far as Cash it was great at the beginning and it got fished out fast, or the fish just got smart quickly and made over to sanctuary areas. Hopefully, we'll get some ice soon, but until then we fish every weekend on the local lakes if you ever get a break and care to join us.

Looking forward to seeing you on the ice or sooner.
Bob

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 03:30 AM »
Sounds good Bob. I am gearing up along with fat boy (kevin) for the ice season. Getting tackle and clothing in order and what not. When the shep is iced we will have to hit it. Do you guys have an 04 PA license yet? Have the local lakes been producing any decent panfish? I hear from a co-worker of mine that artemesia has some really decent crappie in it but sometimes hard to locate. Anywhere else around here any good? I usually go to black hills or clopper in mont co. but kids and x-mas and work are taking up every minute of time as of late. Hope to see you guys at ice up if we get any ice up. :'(

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:45 PM »
Genz,

I see plenty of medium to small Crappie out of Artemesia, but not many decent ones, could just be fishing in the wrong spot though. Plenty of nice size Gills around. :^)

You ever try those ponds south of the Whooping Crane preserve, near the Pax over in your area?

Bob  

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 04:42 AM »
Is that public? Do you know how to get there? I know not much of the spots in this county. I like to hit eastern shore also for open water but right around here not much luck. If you have any info it would be much appreciated and maybe we could hook up if the ice does not hook us up soon. I am going totally crazy waiting for ice up. Might head to northeastern PA in a couple weeks for trout if the ice stays safe.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:03 PM »
Bob, that's an excellent pic of your boy and his fish.  Thanks for sharing.  See you on the hard water soon!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 05:29 AM »
Hey Bill,

Not sure if the ponds really exist or not, but they look legal. They're located at A3, B4, F9 & G9 on page 10 of the ADC PG Atlas.

Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words. I sure as heck hope not, but I have a bad feeling that this year's ice is gonna be slow in coming and we'll be hitting spillways or driving far for ice.

Bob

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 11:13 AM »
Yea looks that way. Thanks for the info Bob. We may go about 5 hours drive north for safe ice on sat and if not will go get shelters at gander or cabelas.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2003, 12:19 PM »
Don't fret guys.  We'll have ice soon, but maybe not as early or as much as last year.  Last year was more than average.  Lakes froze that rarely do.  But, within 2 hours drive there will be a lot of ice.  The last bad winter for ice was the last big el Nino year where we had to drive to Wellsboro PA to find ice and there was zero ice South of I-80.  During a "normal" year, we aren't on the ice until after Xmas or after New Years day anyway.

Bob, if the Eastern Shore stuff freezes solid, lemme know.  I'd like to fish with you guys over there.  Wouldn't it be cool to ice fish on Smithville, Unicorn, or some of the other ponds over there?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2003, 05:10 AM »
Fat Boy brings up a good point. I forgot about trying to get over to the eastern shore. Don't we need a really cold winter for ice up over there or do you guys get to go most every year ???

Offline virgilpoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:53 PM »
Hey Bob, did I forget to mention NICE FISH to the Chickenwing yesterday. I was wanting to tell him personally when we met up but the excitement of the day clouded my brain. Doesn't take much to do that either. :) Please pass it on for me.

Offline kathleen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:13 AM »
wow, what a nice fish!      by the way, where is lake artemisia?  you can or cannot ice fish there?  is that in maryland?
thanks, kath]
kathy

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:18 PM »
Thanks Virgil,
I'll pass the word.

Kathy,
Thanks too. Lake Artemesia is between College Park & Greenbelt right here.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/stocking/Artemesia.jpg

And like most DC suburban lakes it's off limits to ice fishing. Not sure what area of MD you live in, but once you get west of Frederick, east of the Bay, or south into Charles Co. then some lake are open to ice-fishing. Blair Valley (west), Smithville (east) and Myrtle Grove (south) are a few that would be open if we get some decent ice.

Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.