New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Tip-Up Line  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-Up Line
« on: Oct 30, 2017, 03:04 PM »
I have a question I hope someone can help me.  On my old tip ups, I mean the one's my father gave me from back in the day, they have this braided line that's nice and thick and is nice on the hands when bringing in a fish.  The new braided that I get is thin and has cut me before when a large laker or a large pike goes and makes a run.  I have looked everywhere for the thickest braided I could find and nothing I have found fits the bill.  Does anyone know where I can find the old style type of braided?  Or is it I just have to suck it up and use what I can get?  I catch fish on both styles of line, I just prefer the large diameter. :tipup:  Thanks for the help.
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip-Up Line
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Don’t use braid. Order some 20 lb Dacron kite line online. Easy on the hands and is the same thing as tip up line.
Pete

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Do you mean kite line like what they use to fly kites?  I have never heard of using that before. If it works I didn’t mind trying it. It might be cheaper as well. Thanks a lot.
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Yes, you can get it in 1000 foot spools and it’s pretty cheap. I fish Lakers and one spool is enough for three tip ups. The only problem is it is kind of hard to estimate how to evenly spool each tip up. The tag end melts down nicely after you tie the knot, too, so the end won’t fray.
Pete

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2017, 06:57 PM »
Courtland Musky Master is what I used for years, then I started stripping off the 80lb Power Pro braid from my musky reels and love it. Anything less than 80 did the same thing to my fingers.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2017, 06:59 PM »
This is what most people think of when they think of tip up line.  The 54 lbs stuff should help you out with a larger dia line .

https://theanglersconnection.com/nylon-tip-up-line/

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Here is one example of the Dacron kite line. At 120lbs it will be thicker than any tip up line you will buy at the sports store. If you type in Dacron kite line in the search bar on amazon you will find what ever your heart desires for Cheap tip up line. The 5Olb black Dacron kite line in huge spools is the same exact material marketed to ice fisherman for significantly more money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BDLJDV6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509408505&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dacron+kite+line&dpPl=1&dpID=51dUYBJwvzL&ref=plSrch

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2017, 05:23 AM »
The old line on the ones your father gave you probably have mason line on them.
Was used a lot in the old days.. All 30 of my tip ups have mason line on them..  It's nice thickness and comes in lots of cool colors now..     Just my opnion... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2017, 05:59 AM »
The Line I have used for a lot of years was made by Cortland Line.  They are still in business and have web site and also on stupid book

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:01 AM »
The kite line does come in several sizes. I use 20-30 for lakers, LLS and other trout, Palomar to the barrel swivel, then leader. Probably don’t need anything over 50. If anything, the leader will fail, not the kite line.
Pete

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.