Author Topic: 2017 Iceshanty GTG 2-11-17  (Read 4453 times)

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
Re: 2017 Iceshanty GTG 2-11-17
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:02 PM »
How about DaBerry. We could go around to the bathrooms where we went a couple of years ago.  But we would have to park in the Marina parking lot. Go down the boat ramp and hang a left go past where the old couch was past mosquito bay and fish the clarks point where all the cabins used to be at clarks camp. Because it looks to me like we are headed to a week of 45 degrees in Heber. I suggested going this route because of the five feet of snow. Tight Lines

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Yeah, it ain't looking real good for most of the waters on the back of the Wasatch range.  Temps in the 30's and 40's for the next 10 days and hardly any below freezing temps at night.  The ice ain't going anyplace but the edges are going to be a problem with rising waters from snowmelt and rain being forecasted.  Planks are going to be required I think and power machines may not be able to cross the gap safely.  For sure, this weather isn't looking to be in our favor.  I hate it when that happens.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Heard there was still an abundance of machines and people rocking East Canyon, I'm going up tomorrow, maybe it could turn into plan B and a half.  Of course its projected to be in the 40s almost all week, who knows what it will be Feb 11th.

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:05 PM »
I'm probably out of line and also only attended the GTG once and that was last year don't have much say in this but the past few years have been a little rough finding places to get on the ice in Feb. Maybe next year we should look at around the 2nd or 3rd weekend in Jan. Just a thought.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:16 AM »
I can't entirely disagree with Packfan as far as the waters local to the Wasatch Front.  February can present some problems at places like Pineview, Rockport, East Canyon, Lost Creek, etc.  However, we have been hitting Strawberry for the last three years in March and have never had an issue with the thickness of the ice or the edges getting on at the boat launch.  The parking lot is always plowed and there is no charge to use it during the winter months.  They have a store that remains open and a restaurant for a hot lunch if desired.  Granted, most of the catch will be in-the-slot cuts, but we have done well up there the past three years.

That said, there probably isn't a perfect time or place to hold the GTG.  Pineview was a total disaster this year in January.  Terrible slush making things very hard for OHV use and foot traffic.  And the parking was very limited; especially if you have an enclosed 2-place snowmobile trailer to contend with like I do.

There just isn't an easy answer.  And adding to the dilemma this year is the very much needed, way above average, snowfall we've been getting.  But whenever and wherever it's held, it's fun to do and meet all y'all.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:12 AM »
I say we head up to the berry for the GTG

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Totally agree with all said, we may need to start holding it earlier or just count on doing it at the berry. Let's just plan on doing it at the old Clarks camp. Hey happyHeber can people still park on the road going to the storage lot? The people that have machines can just park in the plowed lot and drive over from there. People walking could park on the storage road and just walk down to where we would be set up
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2017, 05:11 PM »
I'll get up there and take a look at the road going to the storage unit this week. Maybe even check the ice conditions. I'll get back to ya in a couple days. Tight Lines

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Thanks HH
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:39 AM »
With the predicted storm for Friday and Saturday I don't think I can justify driving 2+ hours in rain/snow to the berry. Fishon1 is feeling about the same. So for us it's going to be playing it by the minute to see what happens Friday night before we fully commit to making it up for the GTG. Now by all means if others want to go, don't let our cancelling stop you from having a day out on the hard deck cause the way its going we may not have many left. I will post up asap if we will make it  :-\
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:12 PM »
So I tried to get in there to take a look at that road. This last storm layed about 10 inches of heavy wet snow on the road and they plowed it but they didn't plow it very good. I only made it to Clyde's creek and turned around while I still could. I hear we are supposed to get dumped on Friday night. The marina plows that road and they don't do a very good job. Just thought i'd let you know. Tight Lines

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Thank you very much HH, just seen some pics over on bft of the lot at the marina and that's the most snow I've seen up there in a long time. I'm sure we'll be coming up that way to hit it after the storms pass, just wish the better weather could have been this weekend and we wont be forgetting the snowmobiles when we come up
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2017, 08:59 AM »
If you have snowmobiles, why don't I see you signed up for the High Uinta trip on March 4?   :)
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:03 AM »
We're still trying to work out some issues on fishon1's sled. Don't quite trust it on a 3 mile ride. Yet. Mine was back firing pretty good on the Henry's trip. So we're looking at running up Monte very soon and giving them a run to see if we've fixed the issues. I am definately interested in going just need to see how they run
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Bob, there are enough talking in the background about going on the trip that I think we will for sure have at least four sleds, so I'm locking in the date to make it happen, should be a fun trip and may be the last ice around by then... Can't believe everything else has melted this quick, will be fun for one last ice trip for the season.. Thanks for putting it together... J

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Bob, there are enough talking in the background about going on the trip that I think we will for sure have at least four sleds, so I'm locking in the date to make it happen, should be a fun trip and may be the last ice around by then... Can't believe everything else has melted this quick, will be fun for one last ice trip for the season.. Thanks for putting it together... J
I hope they start PMing me soon with a confirmed 'I'm going.'  Hint; hint!   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.