Author Topic: Strawberry wasn't too bad!  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strawberry wasn't too bad!
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Fished the berry all day friday.  the weather was god awful.  the wind was blowing so hard we were barely able to set up the tent.  by the way 2 guys with two pole permits and one guy with out one don't fit real well in a QF3.  luckily we had a heater to help keep it warm.  anyways, the fishin was slow then hot all day long.  because of the weather none of us felt like moving, so we just stayed in the same spot the whole time.  it was pretty productive for 2 of the 3 of us.  i've decided that the fish in the berry have either an extremely hard mouth making the hook hard to set or are really good at holding the bait and fighting all the way to the hole then letting go.  I ended up with two through the hole, one slot cutt and one just under had 3 other takers that got away before they got through, my buddy zach got a big bow on the ice and a small cutt, my buddy troy didn't even get a bite  :lol: .  Zach caught one of the fattest biggest cuts i've ever seen, and just as it's head came out of the water the hook came out of his mouth, i said grab it and he was too slow...  the hog couldn't even turn around in the hole he was so big.  sorry i didn't take more pics.  this was my 14 7/8ths inch cut...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strawberry wasn't too bad!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:39 PM »
I fished with a guy once and caught 28 fish before he finally caught his one and only fish. >:( his setup was exactly the same as mine.  ??? ???

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:24 AM »
I fished with a guy once and caught 28 fish before he finally caught his one and only fish. >:( his setup was exactly the same as mine.  ??? ???

Yep same thing happend to me all last year, this year has definetly been my skunk buster...   ;D

My poor buddy had the same exact setup as us, but couldn't buy a bite.

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:39 PM »
The fish at the berry can be a little tricky to set the hook on. I think they bump the jigs with their noses and really test the bait before they bite it. The fish see plenty of baits all year long and get a little skitish about hitting hard.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:55 PM »
MY DAD SAID STRAWBERRY IS HOT RIGHT NOW. TRUE?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.