Author Topic: Recently Relocated to UTAH!  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Recently Relocated to UTAH!
« on: Nov 22, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Greetings fellow Utahns,

My family and I relocated to Sandy, UT from Pennsylvania this past August. I’m a year-round angler, and will chase anything that swims… really love jigging panfish thru the ice and was hoping to get some quick tips/advice on some of the closer lakes that I’ve found (on maps) so far;

-1) Deer Creek Reservoir

-2) Jordanelle Reservoir

-3) Strawberry Reservoir

-4) Rockport Lake

-5) Lost Creek Reservoir

-6) Echo Reservoir

-7) East Canyon Reservoir

-8) Mountain Dell Reservoir

-9) Pineview Reservoir

-10) Causey Reservoir

Not looking for anybody’s favorite fishing holes or anything… just some quick advice on; private or public, presence of panfish species, winter road access, etc.

I picked the 10 closest bodies of water to my house and purposely left Utah Lake off the list as I assume that it does not freeze most years?

This will be my first Utah winter and really looking forward to getting out on the hardwater. I’ve been an IS.com member for a number of years (obviously) posting mainly to the PA threads.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.  ;)

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
Re: Recently Relocated to UTAH!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I wont be much help since I just moved here as well but I have heard that pineview is pretty good for perch and panfish.  I am getting antsy already.  Once the ice is ready I am willing to head out exploring with ya... Kinda bummed out that you cant use minnows here though, I am going to have to completely re-learn how to walleye fish.
l

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I wont be much help since I just moved here as well but I have heard that pineview is pretty good for perch and panfish.  I am getting antsy already.  Once the ice is ready I am willing to head out exploring with ya... Kinda bummed out that you cant use minnows here though, I am going to have to completely re-learn how to walleye fish.

Is that just at Pineview, or state-wide? No minnows = no tip-ups I'm guessing.

Walleye can be had jigging with a spoon. Trouble is - just as in open water - finding them.

Perch and panfish at Pineview... sounds like as good a plan as any. "Operation: ice watch" is on ;-)

Offline Darn0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:47 PM »
You can use minnows but it can't be live, I believe you can use a tip-up but not too many guys use them here.  I would not leave Utah Lake out of the mix, I usually have the fastest panfish fishing there.  It's not uncommon to have a four species day there. The past three year fishing there the ice has been well over a foot thick.  Last year I was fishing it the first week of December.  I live in Lehi and usually hit Saratoga Springs area.

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2010, 02:07 PM »
No live bait.  Sorry, but you can use a tip up if wanted.  If you use two you have to have a two pole permit.  Only exception is Flamming Gorge.  Utah has its perks.  Check on the cisco run at Bear Lake, mid January.  Great fun.  Hope to get ice on it this year.  East canyon has some cool trout in it.  Pretty crowded at times but it is fun.  Lot's of lakes that have great fish in them, jsut depends on what you're after.  Welcome to Utah!!!!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dead minnows are fine... tipped on a Buckshot Rattle Spoon and jigged like crazy should catch some 'eyes.

I'm pumped now for Utah Lake... Saratoga Springs is about 20-30 minutes from home and we are in SINGLE DIGITS and CALM this morning!!!

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Many questions and I don't type well enough to answer them all so I'll go from close to far.
Utah Lake:
Great panfish lake, the harbors freeze first, American fork, Lindon and Provo State Park.  When they do the white bass move in big time.  There are also Crappie and Bluegills to be had.  Most fish near the docks as the lake its self has very little structure to key on.  Another popular spot is the outlet at a place called "The pumphouse"
Typical small ice jigs in various glow heads tipped with rubs of some type will get some, sonic lures are popular for whities.
Deer Creek:
Good for trout and some perch, white bass recently illegally planted so catch all you can and kill them instantly when you do no matter the size.  Walleye are present, but hard to find through the ice.  There is a camera that allows you to see the lake at http://www.livelakeview.com/index.php.  Many fish near the parking, I do best along the river channel on the inlet end near Charleston.  Perch color jigs with grubs work well.
Jordanelle:
Has been great for perch in the past, seems to be hit or miss the past few years.  Provo River arm freezes first and will produce good trout, some monster browns live here and cutts to 18" are not uncommon.  Again perch colors and small silver spoons like Ratso's, tipped with grubs.
Rockport:
Has been great in the past for perch, but summer fishing indicates that this will not be a great year, with many small ones.  Trout on the other hand were big and fat with good numbers.  Parking on the west side for access or at the state park.  Fishing 50' of water here is the norm, spring bobbers a must.
Same lures as everywhere else.
Lost Creek/East Canyon:
Long drive from SLC as the road over big mountain is closed in the winter and you have to go all the way around the back side.  Both can be good at first ice with East Canyon also having crappie, mostly suspended in the cove by the dam and trout in the Taylor Hollow area.
Echo:
Has been good the last few years for perch and trout.  Parking by the trailer park and easy haul of ear to the ice.  Again same lures and baits.
Mt Dell:
Lower reservoir is closed all year to all fishing, upper is closed to cutthroat trout possession and is artificial only.  Never bothered to fish it myself.
Pineview:
I love this place.  Good for perch although summer fishing showed mostly small fish, good for nice big crappie if you find them (13") and the chance at a 40" tiger Muskie through the ice.  Browning point and the narrows are very popular along with the Cemetery point area.
Causey:
To far for me in the winter, but some love it for trout and chance at Kokonee.
Strawberry:
Best place in the state for lots of big rout.  Can be hard to get on due to deep snow, can be so cold your words have to be thawed out before they can be heard.  Slot limit makes for a lot of released 20" fish.
Also Willard for Crappie in the Marinas and a chance a big wipers.
Mantua for perch, bluegill and Trout.  This is a really good ice fishing place although a little farther away.
Holmes Creek reservoir in Layton is a sleeper and because it is shore fishing only all summer it is good ice fishing in the winter when you can get to the channels and deep water.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2010, 05:12 PM »
whatttttttttttttt  Utah there ain't no fish in Utah well maybe salmonids lol i guess I'm mad you moved how am i gonna get my 2011 pa iceteam logo?????????????? I'll miss our chats but I'm sure you ll find friends out there i hear the bird watching is extraordinary and watch out you dont get converted out there I'd be disappointed
GOD bless you
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought when I moved here from the Adirondacks 21 years ago.
Now I have to be satisfied with 40" Tiger Muskies, 5 lb smallmouth bass, 12" bluegill, 20" wipers and 21" trout.
I hate it so much that I drive 3 hours to cach 6' Sturgeon.

We are in a public access fight right now, but things look good on that issue.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:01 AM »
sounds like everything is getting locked up!!!  anybody been up to pineview yet? hopefully we can be out by the weekend.
l

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:26 PM »
They were out on Mantua all weekend.  Trout a few feet under were hitting nice.
Harbors on Utak Lake are frozen over, but people are only fishing from the dock.
Willard looks capped in the North Marina.

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Auger in, do you happen to know the thickness of hardwater on Matua?

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Reports are 3 to 4.5 inches. 
If you go, be careful as Mantua has springs and ice can go from 4" to 1 inch in 6'.
I stay off early unless there are others near.

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Pineview and Causey were both completely open as of this morning.
S.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Wow, that was quite an effort there Auger In... thank you, much appreciated. :tipup:

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:41 PM »
Another lake you may look at for a road trip not to far from you about 2.5 hrs is pelican very nice sized blue gills there. I make a 7hr trip a couple of times a year just to fish it.
Mack
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:50 AM »
Reports are 3 to 4.5 inches. 
If you go, be careful as Mantua has springs and ice can go from 4" to 1 inch in 6'.
I stay off early unless there are others near.

Be careful on Willard's North Marina too - there's a pretty substantial spring that feeds the northeast part of the marina keeping that part thin as well as the entrance to the bay.
S.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.