New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1028165 times)

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4440 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:00 PM »
went out bit was bad found 2 to 5 inches a very watery slush on top if it freeze up solid good shape if it dosnt and we add 6 to 7 inches of snow on top of it very bad

How much ice is there currently, not including slush.  I would imagine 6-8".  Can anyone please confirm, work got cancelled and would love to get out.  Thanks in advance!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4441 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:09 PM »
How much ice is there currently, not including slush.  I would imagine 6-8".  Can anyone please confirm, work got cancelled and would love to get out.  Thanks in advance!

Even if someone says there is 6-8" of ice and I'm not saying there is cause I haven't been on Oneida this year yet but please use caution and spud out and spud in
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4442 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:18 PM »

Even if someone says there is 6-8" of ice and I'm not saying there is cause I haven't been on Oneida this year yet but please use caution and spud out and spud in
Thanks Brad!  Yeah i get it, just trying to get a feel for the conditions, since i haven't been out since this past Sunday.  I'll just walk out and drill some holes, plan on taking snowmobile if it hasn't deteriorated the black ice that was there last week. 

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4443 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:05 PM »
it appeared we did not loose any ice

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4444 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:07 PM »
Awesome Oneida!  I'll be sure to check for myself, appreciate you getting back to me!!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4445 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:01 PM »
I fished this afternoon off the south shore Williams. Major beaten down paths were fine for walking, I went out about 3/4 mile. Cleats are a must, preferably full cleats. Lots of uneven frozen footprints tothrow you for a loop. As soon as you step off trail you break through top crust 2 or so inches and very wet. I was out in 20 fow and had about 6 inches of varied ice. very wet and messy around the holes. 1 keeper walleye and 4 nice perch and a few smaller ones.
Trails might be tough to find in the morning, depending on how much snowfall tonight/tomorrow. Good luck , have fun , but be safety minded. Real tough to see bad spots due to crust , water and slush.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4446 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:16 PM »
 Holy crap 😜 the only old holes I redrill are my own from the day before,   this way you avoid any issues   

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4447 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:24 PM »
I kicked these holes open this afternoon,.... no crap, just a few cigarette butts..lol
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4448 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:33 PM »
I kicked these holes open this afternoon,.... no crap, just a few cigarette butts..lol
Steve glad the walk out wasn’t a horrible mess and you had some success

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4449 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:00 PM »
Thanks Fred. Not  many fish, but better than a skunk. Can't seem to get on a hot afternoon bite. I guess I should stay until aafter dark.
First place I tried on North shore WAS a horrible mess. I walked out about 25 yards and said nahh ,  then drove to south shore.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4450 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:25 PM »
about the Constantia sled recovery site. They should at least put up some police tape along that long trench and big hole.

I have been to ice derbies where the sponsors use sticks in the ice and put up police tape as a warning of weak ice or open water areas.

Offline M R Ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4451 on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:42 PM »
Went out for the afternoon, found somebody’s orange flag marker.  Pulled up on it like I found the mother load in 26 foot of water. Scraped off the top and I couldn’t believe what I found. Just a regular load

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4452 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:04 AM »
about the Constantia sled recovery site. They should at least put up some police tape along that long trench and big hole.

I have some surveying sticks, if you want to go over on that sketchy ice above A moving stream and put them up, i'm sure we could find some crime scene tape for you. At least the area will be marked for you when you go for A dunk. It's really is out of the way, unless someone is trying to go up the creek. I agree that the salvage guys should mark it some way. I'm not going anywhere near that spot, it's A death trap. Saw A nice Polaris for sale on craigslist dirt cheap, needs A new seat though. :)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4453 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:14 AM »
seems the  recovery people would  be liable having left  it unmarked

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4454 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:10 AM »
I agree that the salvage guys should mark it some way. I'm not going anywhere near that spot, it's A death trap. Saw A nice Polaris for sale on craigslist dirt cheap, needs A new seat though. :)
I should have been more clear.That is what I meant by "they'. They should mark it in some way...police tape, a few traffic cones etc. or something. I sure don't expect anyone to go near that hole or trench to mark it now.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #4455 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:18 AM »
seems the  recovery people would  be liable having left  it unmarked
Maybe the person who lost his machine in the water should be liable? Hes the real reason there is a hole in the ice!!
By the sounds of it to me...IF this trench/hole were out in the middle of the lake where its HIGHLY possible someone could find it,  I'd agree with marking it...
However it sounds to me like this is close to a danger area as it is and people SHOULDNT be close to this area anyways

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4456 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:39 AM »
Fished yesterday afternoon in southwest corner of the lake for pans. Had about 5-6 inches of ice under the crust. Stayed on top for the most part. I could see about 6-7 guys off Williams area. Couple of them out towards the islands. I was in 6-7 fow and had to break out the skunk off. First time out for me this season. Was nice to get out though. Hoping to get after the eyes in the next few days if she firms up some.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4457 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:00 AM »
How much snow did Oneida get? Pretty unfortunate it got any with the cold snap coming.

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4458 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:15 AM »
I think we got lucky !! Only a dusting this morning ;D ;D. She'll be making some ice the next two days.   Sully...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4459 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:19 AM »
How much snow did Oneida get? Pretty unfortunate it got any with the cold snap coming.

moose  you can watch it on the web cams  i  did :thumbsup: think it's  going to work out  good  for  us  ;D

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4460 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:27 AM »
Just a dusting on the north shore as well. It sure would be nice to freeze that junk up solid.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4461 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:43 AM »
like everyone is reporting just a dusting to an inch of snow so far,,,,,,

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4462 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:35 AM »
Great news on the snowfall amount. Thanks to you local guys for the update.
Hope the temps go as low , and last a little longer than they are predicting.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4463 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:55 AM »
x2

Offline Wheeler0str

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4464 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Out now and Cleveland. Having a hard time marking fish anywhere from 10 to 32 the foot of water. Any information on that would help?

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #4465 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Great news on the snowfall amount. Thanks to you local guys for the update.
Hope the temps go as low , and last a little longer than they are predicting.

Second round hasn't hit us yet.
Just stinking bad luck!

The tug is the drug.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4466 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Weather channel website says less than one inch in this second wave for Sylvan Beach. Have to see but doesn't look bad. Here in Rochester the lake effect is on a Northwest track and we may get 1 to 3 this evening. All depends on how the winds set up.

Offline Stelladog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4467 on: Feb 13, 2020, 12:37 PM »
Dumb question but here goes....I would classify myself as more on the novice side of fishing Oneida.  Fished out of Taft 2 weeks ago at some places that have had some moderate success - did not mark a fish in 2 miles and 30 holes later.  Ran into a seasoned veteran who was doing the same as I with same results.  Jump to south shore Williams past week and half and am having some success.  Enough perch for some dinners and occasional eye.  Certainly not "slamming" them but bringing home fish.  Now for advice or input - have the feeling to try north shore again tomorrow with freeze or am I not smart leaving place I have had a little success.  I complain to my wife that she can't make a decision and i'm the worst.  Just have FOMO and feel I'm missing a chance to explore another spot.  Any advive, input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4468 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:10 PM »
Can't hurt to move around and try to find the mother load or even half of it. I think it will pay off. You could always split the day in two or more places? Nothing better than getting on them after searching them out. Can always go back to current spot if nothing turns up.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4469 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:05 PM »
Dumb question but here goes....I would classify myself as more on the novice side of fishing Oneida.  Fished out of Taft 2 weeks ago at some places that have had some moderate success - did not mark a fish in 2 miles and 30 holes later.  Ran into a seasoned veteran who was doing the same as I with same results.  Jump to south shore Williams past week and half and am having some success.  Enough perch for some dinners and occasional eye.  Certainly not "slamming" them but bringing home fish.  Now for advice or input - have the feeling to try north shore again tomorrow with freeze or am I not smart leaving place I have had a little success.  I complain to my wife that she can't make a decision and i'm the worst.  Just have FOMO and feel I'm missing a chance to explore another spot.  Any advive, input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
I think that was me Stella you talked to that day........that was really a weird day for sure........they can keep that damn north shore ;D.......tomorrow you could back to the same holes you cut 2 weeks ago and pound em.......try Chaumont right now, it is on fire for perch......oh, and nice chatting with you that day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.