Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50827 times)

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #300 on: Dec 16, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Have they fixed the (what I think are poorly designed) velcro sections that attach under your calves when sitting down?  Even with them secured there was still a large wind gap in my Fx-100 and 200 (both sold).  The seams were not strong enough to hold more than a couple of times of flipping it back before undoing them or a sudden burst of wind flipping it back.   I had to reinforce mine with gorilla tape and got tired of having to pack the gaps with snow or restart my heater 10 times after the wind blew the pilot out.   Tried to give them my business because I believe they are still made or assembled in the US but the Clam huts do not have that gap.  I emailed Shappell a few times asking if they were coming out with a thermal or had plans to address the gap and never got a response. 

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #301 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:50 PM »
Have they fixed the (what I think are poorly designed) velcro sections that attach under your calves when sitting down?  Even with them secured there was still a large wind gap in my Fx-100 and 200 (both sold).  The seams were not strong enough to hold more than a couple of times of flipping it back before undoing them or a sudden burst of wind flipping it back.   I had to reinforce mine with gorilla tape and got tired of having to pack the gaps with snow or restart my heater 10 times after the wind blew the pilot out.   Tried to give them my business because I believe they are still made or assembled in the US but the Clam huts do not have that gap.  I emailed Shappell a few times asking if they were coming out with a thermal or had plans to address the gap and never got a response.

The new fx100I tents have almost over done it with extra material covering those gaps. Lots to work with there now.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #302 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Did anyone get the folding brackets or windbars last week? I'm hoping they come through with these soon. It was supposed to be the week of Thanksgiving originally for the folding braces...
I'm off Thursday night - Saturday afternoon this week. Not sure where but I'm gonna be on ice somewhere, and would love to take this along, wanna stay lightweight since I'll be out alone.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #303 on: Dec 17, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I sent an email to wandee last Thursday I believe. He said the folding braces are due in Denver soon, and the wind braces are being produced now. I guess the folding braces should help shore up loose fabric on the sides, and the wind braces will further help with side tension as well as tighten up the fabric on the door.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #304 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Got my windbars today. Braces/brackets are supposed to be in today or tomorrow for them to review and then send out. They didn't like the versions they got a week or two ago it sounded like.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #305 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Got my windbars today. Braces/brackets are supposed to be in today or tomorrow for them to review and then send out. They didn't like the versions they got a week or two ago it sounded like.

Any chance you can post a picture of the windbars? I’m just curious how and where they are supposed to actually mount?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #306 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Any chance you can post a picture of the windbars? I’m just curious how and where they are supposed to actually mount?
Not sure actually,  didn't come with a diagram or anything..  just guessing in the front corner and then back middle or something?  I wasn't going to pull it out and test them until i got the bracket. Maybe I'll do that sooner though. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #307 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:05 PM »
so you know, the fx150 and fx200 have a rear wind bar that doubles as a wind break mode instead of using the hinged brackets that the fx100 uses. the bar they are making for the fx100 could replace the brackets or it was to make the front ground bar to the next bar up become tight to stretch the tent that was cut a little long.
if it has c clips on each end it is meant to stretch the front tent material to help with wind flap and remove some slack.
the 150 and 200 have a hole drilled for the rear wind bar in the tub and they made a slip joint on the end of that bar so it stops in the hole. the other end has a c clip to catch the bar behind your head while seated.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #308 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I was thinking he meant a picture of where they are supposed to go. I got two sets if poles, both with c clips.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #309 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:08 PM »
so you know, the fx150 and fx200 have a rear wind bar that doubles as a wind break mode instead of using the hinged brackets that the fx100 uses. the bar they are making for the fx100 could replace the brackets or it was to make the front ground bar to the next bar up become tight to stretch the tent that was cut a little long.
if it has c clips on each end it is meant to stretch the front tent material to help with wind flap and remove some slack.
the 150 and 200 have a hole drilled for the rear wind bar in the tub and they made a slip joint on the end of that bar so it stops in the hole. the other end has a c clip to catch the bar behind your head while seated.

From talking with Wandee the folding braces will be alittle longer to help stretch the front out. The wind braces will help keep the front corners from flopping around and coming into the fishing area,  basically keep the slop of the tent at bay.  The fx100i doesn't use or need a rear brace for the wind break position with the new braces.

Hopefully my stuff comes in tomorrow.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #310 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:49 AM »
The purpose of a wind bar is to keep the front from lifting but from the back,where almost all other wind poles go..the wind hits the back and pulls the front up.that bar keeps the whole shelter frame structure solid.wth is all those other bars?so everytime you want to flip it up you must remove those first??just a bandaid to keep the extra material from blowing into the fishing area?still not impressed..not going to be a quick flip like the fx100.plus carry a bunch of bars around..

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #311 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:32 AM »
The purpose of a wind bar is to keep the front from lifting but from the back,where almost all other wind poles go..the wind hits the back and pulls the front up.that bar keeps the whole shelter frame structure solid.wth is all those other bars.so everytime you want to flip it up you must remove those first??just a bandaid to keep the extra material from blowing into the fishing area?still not impressed..not going to be a quick flip like the fx100.plus carry a bunch of bars around..
Yup - defeats the purpose of a "quickflip" design.  OK if it's that windy that you need the support and strength, but as a regular setupto the shelter - not impressed.
Can't understand why they just didn't leave the frame alone and offer an insulated fabric version and a replacement insulated tent for those that have the FX100 and want to upgrade it.  If they wanted a multipart frame for shipping purposes, they could have made that happen without the other changes.
I think it's all about improving profit margins.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #312 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Yup - defeats the purpose of a "quickflip" design.  OK if it's that windy that you need the support and strength, but as a regular setupto the shelter - not impressed.
Can't understand why they just didn't leave the frame alone and offer an insulated fabric version and a replacement insulated tent for those that have the FX100 and want to upgrade it.  If they wanted a multipart frame for shipping purposes, they could have made that happen without the other changes.
I think it's all about improving profit margins.
right.i think a lot of guys,me being one would be fine with the fx100 size tent just thermal that fits fx100 that i have already or even buy the first version/silver bar fx100i  that 3300 has and gave a sneak peak last year.thats the shelter I was going to get but heard of weight difference,added bunch of bars,flappy oversized tent,different frame and windbreak brackets that bend.i don't think eagle claw would go back to make the first version again but I know they would sell alot right now  if they did.even the thermal tent that fits the fx100 frame.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #313 on: Dec 18, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I use a Clam #1074 rear adjustable spreader pole on my FX 100.

Offline Zwy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #314 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I ordered one from Sportsman Guide and requested that it not have any quality issues or I would wait.  Well it went back to them as it was defective.  Didn't care for the extra wide mouth of tent either.  I don't think they got the weight measured correctly either because that thing was heavy.  Went with the Stealth Blazer instead.  Sportsman Guide wouldn't let me use new member discount I used to get the FX100i to buy the Stealth so I ordered one from Cabelas.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #315 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:05 PM »
I ordered one from Sportsman Guide and requested that it not have any quality issues or I would wait.  Well it went back to them as it was defective.  Didn't care for the extra wide mouth of tent either.  I don't think they got the weight measured correctly either because that thing was heavy.  Went with the Stealth Blazer instead.  Sportsman Guide wouldn't let me use new member discount I used to get the FX100i to buy the Stealth so I ordered one from Cabelas.
I have the stealth blazer, insulated; I like it.  Well designed and well made.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #316 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:46 AM »
TheCrappieFisherman did you get a chance to try out those windbars yet? Wondering if they tightened anything up or are just holding the slack out of the way alittle.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #317 on: Dec 20, 2018, 04:09 PM »
I have the stealth blazer, insulated; I like it.  Well designed and well made.

After reading all the problems with the Shappell FX100 Insulated ice shack, I don't trust Shappell to get this right. Now they want to add a wind bar to take the sags out of the tent. Plus all the other problems with this shack. I was reading how the FX100 is a great shack, why make all the changes to the FX100 Insulated? Just keep the same frame and add the insulated tent. But no, Shappell wants to make more profit and now the customer has to deal with all the problems. I hope Shappell learned something with all this, but you know money comes first.
I have looked at the Clam Stealth Blazer insulated shack, they are a nice shack. And I'm glad Fishforpike likes his Stealth. Soon as they go on sale, I'm buying one.       

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #318 on: Dec 20, 2018, 04:21 PM »
its eagle claw that took over shappell that's the problem.the old shappel brand was solid.the eagleclaw shappell not so much,the fx100 frame is strong enough for a thermal tent thrown on and be done.thats the fx100i shelter I want..

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #319 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:19 PM »
I'm so glad I got one of the silver bar models. I've only played with mine in the basement, but I can't find anything about it I would change, other than maybe adding some storage via a cargo net and some hangers.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #320 on: Dec 20, 2018, 07:16 PM »
its eagle claw that took over shappell that's the problem.the old shappel brand was solid.

Exactly correct...

Shappell= Michigan made, Nothing could compare..

Shappell Eagle Claw= China made, Nothing could be worse!

I'm not liking this at all, all the real Shappell stuff will probably not have replacement tents either..

They really screwed the pooch on this one.

<°)))>{

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Has anyone recieved any of the fix parts yet, if so do they actually help the tent issues?

I hadn't heard or seen anything about my parts yet over the last 2 ish weeks but it was the holiday season so I wasn't really concerned. Finally sent over an email only to get a response that they'll send my info to the warranty dept to get my stuff sent. **censored**?!?! I've been talking to them about issues with this thing since it came out and only now their forwarding my info to get me the parts. I'm super annoyed, gonna call tomorrow. I have been told a ton of times that they would get me parts out, even overnight them as soon as they came in and instead I'm just now being added to the list. Not sure if this is my walk away point but I will say to anyone looking at this model wait till they have it fixed or go another route.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #322 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:48 PM »
You have patience thats for sure.i was wondering if anyone has finally got all the parts to put together the lemon fx100i yet.eagleclaw is running the shappell brand name/reputation thru the mud.jmo

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:57 PM »
When I saw the fx100i thread last year I fell in love with what was shown. It was exactly what I was looking for, but after owning this pile of parts that I can't even use I'm not feeling the love anymore. I feel like I'm getting the run around and I'm not real happy about it.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #324 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:58 AM »
I feel sorry for all the guys that have to deal with Eagle Claw for the FX100i. For myself if I had to deal with this, I would call everyday and I mean everyday and keep them on the phone as long as possible every time you called until this problem is resolved.
What a BS company to deal with! How many sales have they lost because of this? I had a FX100I ordered from Sportsman Guide but cancelled the order because of all the problems. Good Luck, to all the guys that have to deal with this low life company. I do have a FX50 now and I like it and I also had a Shappell Bay Runner for 2 years but sold it and built a Tip Down Shanty. Shappell was good company, to bad Eagle Claw is running it in the ground.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #325 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Likewise, I wouldnt put up with it. I was hoping to get a 200i but theres no way I would go down that road

Catchin' Fish

Offline fallguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #326 on: Jan 05, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Greetings,
I'm fallguy. Long time reader of the Iceshanty now at last registered.
I also was very interested in the FX100i and after reading this thread I also was very concerned about QC at Eagle Claw. However after a couple phone calls I found the people at Eagle Claw very concerned about the problems with the FX100i. Instead of waiting for the bugs to be worker out, I elected to go with the FX200i and I'm very happy with this shelter. Very good quality though out.
Hope things work out for all.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #327 on: Jan 05, 2019, 03:13 PM »
welcome and thanks for joining us fallguy!
your fx200i is the old silver bar version right? i was told they haven't run out of stock on those and won't be changing them until they do.

anyone who was told they would fix their issues needs to push them to make sure they do just that. i believe they said they would have a new production line out by the 4th of this month. so you should be able to get the right tent to fit their new frame with the wind flap on front and back. that's what i would be pushing for and the half open hinges.

Offline fallguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #328 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Thanks for the welcome 3300 and all your insight on the fx100i and fx200i.
Yes.. my fx200i is the old conduit frame which seems well engineered. Just strong and simple. The tub is deep and rugged and fabric is very good quality.
Wear bars and stainless steel fasteners are also quality items as is the cover.

All in all.. if it isn't broken don't fix it.. comes to mind.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #329 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:09 AM »
welcome and thanks for joining us fallguy!
your fx200i is the old silver bar version right? i was told they haven't run out of stock on those and won't be changing them until they do.

anyone who was told they would fix their issues needs to push them to make sure they do just that. i believe they said they would have a new production line out by the 4th of this month. so you should be able to get the right tent to fit their new frame with the wind flap on front and back. that's what i would be pushing for and the half open hinges.

3300 in saying the 4th of this month you mean Jan 4th as in yesterday? News to me, I hope its true.
I've been told a few times they had new tent "prototypes" coming in and that they would even be willing to send me one of those once they had a some that fit correctly. I'm not sure I believe it happening this season though. I'm still waiting on folding braces I was originally told would be out around Thanksgiving and then about every week since. I don't want to have to resort to leaving negative reviews online. I have the e-mails saying they have the parts, how come we haven't recieved them yet?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.