Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50842 times)

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #120 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Yep, I got mine yesterday as well. Started unpacking everything and laying it out for assembly, and I ended up being short a piece. One of the Seat Risers. E-mailed Eagle Claw, and they are going to send me a new one right away, so pretty happy with that.

I did get the hyfax kit installed yesterday evening(which was a pain the a**, btw) and half of the seat assembly. The rest of it will probably be put on hold until after deer hunting season.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Where is everyone getting your hyfax kits at, any deals to be had on them?

Is there a thread for modded fx100s already?

I ordered the hyfax kit and cover through Sportsman's Guide at the same time that I ordered the shelter.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #122 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Where is everyone getting your hyfax kits at, any deals to be had on them?

Is there a thread for modded fx100s already?
i was lucky to get hyfax kit from seller when i bought mine. it was their last one. i wouldn't wait too long to get one and they are easier to install before adding the bars and tent. just start on the front of the sled and let it hold the hyfax as you bend it for the next hole. don't skip any holes to align it, just keep going front to back in order.

latest mods thread.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=360366.msg3859534#msg3859534

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Nov 04, 2018, 12:59 AM »
So I had ordered the fx100i as soon as I saw Sportsman's Guide had it for sale. Got it awhile ago it was the rounded corner EMT conduit frame for the tent to hook to. My tent had a small hole in the sewing at the top where stiching was missing. Called both Eagle Claw and Sportsman's Guide and they said they would just ship me a new flipover and I can pull out the cover and send the other one back. Got the new one today it has a whole different tent structure. It now has short bolt together tubes and plastic corners. A dog leg drop at the tub to hold the sides down to the ice as well as bigger flaps with more velcro to hold down the wind skirt...  not going to lie the changes in the instructions look nice, going to see if this top is at all different from my original or if I'm gonna be swapping the whole top halfs. My tub is already drilled and modded. Wish I had recieved this one first.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Nov 04, 2018, 01:58 AM »
Just opened the tent up. The reflective strips on the outside corners are about 2inches longer. The new tent cover has a second access zipper (at the front of the tub for gear.) The tent is much longer than the first version. I just tried to velcro it on the old frame and the ground tube isnt even at the bottom of the door, let alone close to the new velcro, I'd say approx 6 inches away, not sure if its a height or length difference but the new tent doesnt fit the old bars. It does have some nice improvements, velcro connectors on the sides for attaching the tent to the bars helping keep it from falling on the ice when folded down and to keep it from moving in wind when up. It also has reinforced corners where the plastic corner pieces will contact the roof. It has significantly larger wind flaps with twice the velcro to hold them down with. I will say this tent and frame structure has to be 5lbs heavier though. The new folding brackets are 3 or 4 times larger than the old ones, and 30ish more allen head bolts and nuts to hold the tube frame together (its now made of short male female tube pieces all bolted together). It is still round emt tube but with plastic corners. The plastic corners have a solid piece in them that will have to be drilled if wanting to run wiring inside the tubing. The tubs measure out the same, only 4 new holes on the upper lip for the brackets, and the velcro down the back of the tub is about an inch longer.
The vents are about a half inch smaller both lenght and width.
Gonna call tomorrow to talk about swapping the whole frame assembly and tents.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #125 on: Nov 04, 2018, 06:15 AM »
So theres two versions of the fx100i?

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07:34 AM »
What's your guys opinion on the wear bar kit? Absolute necessity? Does it help the sled pull easier? My 100i should be here tomorrow, upgrading from the rover 1 i've had for 10 years, I never put a kit on my Rover but I'm wondering if I should hold off putting everything together and ordering the kit to install first. Thanks in advance :tipup:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #127 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07:37 AM »
What's your guys opinion on the wear bar kit? Absolute necessity? Does it help the sled pull easier? My 100i should be here tomorrow, upgrading from the rover 1 i've had for 10 years, I never put a kit on my Rover but I'm wondering if I should hold off putting everything together and ordering the kit to install first. Thanks in advance :tipup:
i really dont think my fx100 pulls easier with hyfax in deep snow but does prevent wearing holes in the sled which sucks.i put hyfax on all my sleds.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:37 AM »
So theres two versions of the fx100i?

I’ve got the same question! I’m wondering if that other version would be better

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #129 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:43 AM »
thanks for the updates!  so does it still have the velcro for tent to tub flaps?

the fx100 has seen a total of six versions now since they came out.
will be hard for us to know how to order the dogleg version now that they got them out. they have been talking about that and other upgrades like we just read about. i was one to ask (mike at shappell) them to incorporate them a few years ago as some had been doing it on their own on lakes i fish.
makes me want to get the upgraded version, just not sure what they will call it in order to make sure we get the correct version. shappell always tries to improve their products and the fx series has seen plenty of change and always for the better.
i'll make a call too to try to figure it out.

the hyfax is a must for me. it makes pulling in slush much easier and much quieter beside protecting the tub. most tub holes are in the rear corner/edge from what i hear. i put them on sleds and on all the different flip over style shanties i buy of shappell only. i think it helps with snow sticking to the tub some also while seated in it.
we fish a lot of slushy conditions (top layer of snow ice gets soft) and my friend has one with out the hyfax and we did the how far can you wing it test. the hyfax proved it's worth besides the noise difference.
it is easier to install the hyfax kit before doing any thing else.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Almost all the time I use a smitty sled so in my situation the Hyfax is a waste of money.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Definitely a new version if I knew how to post pictures on here I could post a picture of the UPC and see if maybe it's different from the old one

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Bass Pro shows the fx100i @ $279.99.  But it also shows 300 Denier fabric.  It would be nice to know if that is correct  and if there are two versions of the same model.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:53 AM »
The instructions have a lot number of 081018.
The main picture /sticker on the front of the box seems to be a large generic picture but it has small pictures across the bottom and the left one says front zippered door. The picture shows inside thru the door and you can see the back access window open in it.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Bass Pro shows the fx100i @ $279.99.  But it also shows 300 Denier fabric.  It would be nice to know if that is correct  and if there are two versions of the same model.

I ordered mine from bass pro, getting it tomorrow, it ships directly from shappell.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:56 AM »

Front of the Box reads: Extreme-duty 600D polyester fabric with 7 g/m2 of insulation.
It also says 41 pounds which I feel like the old box said either 42 or 47 lbs?

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:59 AM »
thanks for the updates!  so does it still have the velcro for tent to tub flaps?

Sorry I missed this.  Yes it does, the velcro on the tub itself goes about an inch closer to the ground now. The tent skirting continues back much further and has a big piece where there is about a foot long piece of velcro to attach to the tub now

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #137 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Im going to get one but i think i want the dog leg version or newer one.idk which on is better or what places are selling what model.i will most likely be buying online...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Does anyone have a picture to post of the dog leg improvement?

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #139 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Pics would help me out for sure.id rather have the improved model with a serial number or something to tell which one im buying.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Original one

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:50 AM »
New wind flap

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:52 AM »
New back access, note, this is over the old frame thats why it doesnt fit.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Nov 04, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I originally said this was EMT conduit but after looking at it it looks like it may be a bit bigger tube. My emt connectors arent fitting on and where the holes are isn't crushed in like the older version

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Nov 04, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Box from the new one.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #145 on: Nov 04, 2018, 11:32 AM »
is the tube still emt just painted black or aluminum? does the rear hatch door have rain flaps over it or any pics of the outside of it?

thanks for the pics! looking better all the time.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Nov 04, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!

I'm not too fond of those plastic corners myself..

<°)))>{

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Nov 04, 2018, 11:56 AM »
is the tube still emt just painted black or aluminum? does the rear hatch door have rain flaps over it or any pics of the outside of it?

thanks for the pics! looking better all the time.

The outside looks super similar, no rain flys over the zippers.

Tube is definitely alittle larger than the old conduit, and to heavy to be aluminum.  Running wiring though these tubes will be much harder, with the male female connections and large bolts holding it together.

Disassembled the old structure and started building the new. The new one takes alot longer to put together.

I am missing a seat riser pole though... gonna call EagleClaw tomorrow hopefully they can send just a single part so I can fully assemble it.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Nov 04, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Yep, I got mine yesterday as well. Started unpacking everything and laying it out for assembly, and I ended up being short a piece. One of the Seat Risers. E-mailed Eagle Claw, and they are going to send me a new one right away, so pretty happy with that.

I did get the hyfax kit installed yesterday evening(which was a pain the a**, btw) and half of the seat assembly. The rest of it will probably be put on hold until after deer hunting season.
Missing the same part, atleast its a known issue.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Nov 04, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!

I'm not too fond of those plastic corners myself..

<°)))>{

I'm leary as well, they seem solid but not near as nice as the old version. If it wasnt a big name company I'd probably just ask them to find me the correct tent for my version.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.