Author Topic: When Ice Fishing was a $4 dollar jigging rod from K-Mart and a pickle bucket  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Altoids and Sucrets what are you talking about
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Man thats awesome! Never heard of that.  I do remember the Kmart rubber felt boots, they were red and yellow stripped.  Bought them this year and next year they were dry rotted!! My dad said put the bread bags inside the boot and they won't leak!!  Lol.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone dropping extra money on a custom rod/reel has bigger issues all together!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline TACP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Altoids and Sucrets what are you talking about

That would be them!
Crappie isn’t crappy!

Offline TACP

• Team IceShanty Regular
i remember going fishing with my grandfather in the early 80's. he would bring hooks sinkers and a spool of 15lb. shakespere line and 2 handlines with some frozen fish to start out. we'ed sit on buckets and jig up smelts on our hand lines to use as bait then he would walk to shore with his ax and cut a half dozen 6 ft. alders. wed' drill the holes and pile the slush near the hole. then we would push a alder into it, centering the tip over the hole. hed strip about 20 yrds of line tying one end at the base of the alder and tying a hook and sinker on. hed then slightly split  the tip of the alder. once hook was baited, he would find his depth then nock the line in the split and coil the extra near the hole. the fish would grab the bait and pull the line thru the notch untill it hit the end, setting the hook. you would see the whippy alder bouncing
 up and down when the fish was on! man we caught alot of fish this way. i even did it with my kids. they loved making their own traps. we rarely missed a fish with this setup. said he learned it from a old indian when he was a kid. landed some 6-7lb lakers and salmon on these. try it sometime. its fun!

That sounds like a really cool idea, I love the simple ingenuity that works!
Crappie isn’t crappy!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Looking at and reading some of the articles/stuff out there now......hi-density Tungsten jigs that sink faster...titanium hooks...precision machined cut gears and graphite reel bodies......and on and on. Sheesh! I'm just going FISHING, and I'm sure my jigs sink fast enough for me, and the stamped steel gears in my aluminum body reel work just fine. Folks get so wrapped up in this stuff, and race to get the latest "gotta haves", I think they're more focused on that than just a nice relaxing day pulling some good eaters outta that hole. I'll take that scenario anyday over the run'n gun and blasting across the ice. But, whatever works for ya. To each his own.  :icefish:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Anyone dropping extra money on a custom rod/reel has bigger issues all together!

Now that's some fighting words.  ;D

Ice fishing rods kind of started custom homemade and a lot of time it was from broken full length rods.  A lot of lures were custom homemade too.  Not everyone is deft enough to home make their own stuff so paying someone else for that service isn't outrageous by any means.

Custom made spools for ice fishing.  Using something like small projector film reels or something to that effect.  Even tip ups may have used some sewing yarn spools. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking at and reading some of the articles/stuff out there now......hi-density Tungsten jigs that sink faster...titanium hooks...precision machined cut gears and graphite reel bodies......and on and on. Sheesh! I'm just going FISHING, and I'm sure my jigs sink fast enough for me, and the stamped steel gears in my aluminum body reel work just fine. Folks get so wrapped up in this stuff, and race to get the latest "gotta haves", I think they're more focused on that than just a nice relaxing day pulling some good eaters outta that hole. I'll take that scenario anyday over the run'n gun and blasting across the ice. But, whatever works for ya. To each his own.  :icefish:

+1 on that

Once I'm set, the fishing has gotta be really dead for me to move. I'm out to catch a few fish, not run hurdles while doing the hokey pokey on the ice. 🤷‍♂️

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Now that's some fighting words.  ;D

Ice fishing rods kind of started custom homemade and a lot of time it was from broken full length rods.  A lot of lures were custom homemade too.  Not everyone is deft enough to home make their own stuff so paying someone else for that service isn't outrageous by any means.

Custom made spools for ice fishing.  Using something like small projector film reels or something to that effect.  Even tip ups may have used some sewing yarn spools.

Yep, most of my rods are the tips of  used open water rods epoxied into a wood dowel with a reel seat routered into it and a cheap ice reel. Got into rod building this summer, so did build a couple rods for Xmas, make all my own jigging spoons, jigs and plastics, getting so I don't have to spend so much on my equipment.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
+1 on that

Once I'm set, the fishing has gotta be really dead for me to move. I'm out to catch a few fish, not run hurdles while doing the hokey pokey on the ice. 🤷‍♂️

NEVER do the hokey-pokey on the ice; at least not in Minnesota. You'll attract all those Norwegian beer-barrel polka dudes.  :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac

NEVER do the hokey-pokey on the ice; at least not in Minnesota. You'll attract all those Norwegian beer-barrel polka dudes.  :roflmao:

X2. -  exactly!!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac

But..... That's what it's all ABOUT!!!!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
But..... That's what it's all ABOUT!!!!
Lol, we can do that out here, but anything looking like a 2 step or like dance will probably draw a crowd

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Dang crazy Norweggers 😏

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
+1 on that

The reason fishing is so awesome is that we get to do what makes us happy.

I'm like you, I like to set up on good structure and try to bring the fish in. I have friends that drill 40+ holes a day and chase all over the lake. I huck bait in the summer while friends are chucking fluff. There are so many variables that we get to chose. We get to do our own thing, together.

Compare that to, for example, golf. Everybody has to dress right, have the proper 'tools', all walk in the same direction, start and stop at prescribed times, etc. Lots of people love the game, but it isn't for me.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got into ice fishing in the mid 80's as well, and although I fished and hunted with my Dad, he was never really into ice fishing, but did have a Mora auger, a few of those dowels with picks at the end, and Laker tipups.  I remember the first time we went out, I drilled a hole and it got stuck after it broke through the bottom, so I turned it the opposite direction, well that just unscrewed the auger from the shaft, and down it went. 

Then I started fishing with his Uncle who would put a permanent house out on White Bear Lake (MN).  He targeted northerns, so we'd sit in it during the morning fish, he'd go home for a nap around Noon, then come back around 2pm.  He smoked a pipe and the smell was embedded throughout the interior - I loved that smell, I almost wish someone could smoke his tobacco brand in my house, which is probably a good pest deterrent too.  He had a homemade rattle wheel, which I copied when I made my own house, back when nobody made them, and he had an old Pfluegger baitcasting reel on a corked butt end of an old fiberglass rod, that also hung from the ceiling.

A few years after he passed away, my parents told me his wife finally got rid of his two fish houses, which she pretty much gave away, because nobody in the immediate family wanted them.  I was heartbroken and miffed, because nobody ever told me they were available - I was the only one who ever ice fished with him in his later years.  The one we fished out of, was only 4'x8' and could've easily fit on my flatbed trailer, that he always loaded and unloaded by himself.  I did have my own permy at the time, and pretty much layed out like his, but it was heavier and unpainted on the outside. It never came with me when I moved to WI and my Dad scrapped it.

Well fast forward two decades and a few portable shanty's later, I had been himming and hawing about building another small permy.  My dilemma, I'm single, no kids, and most of my ice fishing buds still live in the greater metro area, so whatever I built needed to be relatively easy to load/unload by myself, but yet not such a PITA that I would rarely use it or travel great distances with it.  Well, thanks to Ice Castle, they have the Little Jigger, which has a floor plan almost identical to my Great Uncle's shanty, and the one I previously owned, by having a bench/sofa on one side and holes on the other.  Plus, I have the modern conveniences that makes it enjoyable to spend a couple/few days on the water and is a breeze to load/unload, which allows me to be somewhat mobile and not tied down to one spot. 

I welcome new technology and innovation - I can watch my underwater camera on the big screen instead of staring at a wall or dancing bobber as a big minnow moves about on his leash, while listening to tunes on the radio, without the need of a boombox. Plus, at night I can watch back-to-back episodes of Ghost Whisperer w/Jennifer Love Hewitt on 'Antenna-Vision', which last year aired Friday nights on one of the extended ABC channels, I think.   
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
lots of great memories shared here. I started ice fishing with my Dad in the late 60's early 70's. All we had was home made stuff and I don't even remember seeing others out fishing with anything different. Today is a whole different word and I have two different shelters, various sleds, a camera, sonar, boxes full of jigs, rod lockers etc. I still enjoy those days where I leave all the new in the truck and venture out with a hand auger, a couple rods, a small box of jigs and a thermos of coffee. While I enjoy the nostalgia and the trip down memory lane to the years of my youth and the simple joys of doing something simple like fishing, as I age the comfort of the flip over with a buddy heater going, the smell of the venison stew heating in the jet boil are much more comfortable to me than the reminder that at my age (and miles) I can no longer drill holes all day to stay warm if the fish aren't biting where I am. All the gadgets etc. merely help me enjoy something I like for more years than I could without.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The reason fishing is so awesome is that we get to do what makes us happy.

I'm like you, I like to set up on good structure and try to bring the fish in. I have friends that drill 40+ holes a day and chase all over the lake. I huck bait in the summer while friends are chucking fluff. There are so many variables that we get to chose. We get to do our own thing, together.

Compare that to, for example, golf. Everybody has to dress right, have the proper 'tools', all walk in the same direction, start and stop at prescribed times, etc. Lots of people love the game, but it isn't for me.

One of the best times I had golfing I took only a 7 iron and hit every shot with that. (even putting) I think the common denominator is us: if we can keep focused on the experience, and not the score, we can maximize our enjoyment.

Offline TACP

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got into ice fishing in the mid 80's as well, and although I fished and hunted with my Dad, he was never really into ice fishing, but did have a Mora auger, a few of those dowels with picks at the end, and Laker tipups.  I remember the first time we went out, I drilled a hole and it got stuck after it broke through the bottom, so I turned it the opposite direction, well that just unscrewed the auger from the shaft, and down it went. 

Then I started fishing with his Uncle who would put a permanent house out on White Bear Lake (MN).  He targeted northerns, so we'd sit in it during the morning fish, he'd go home for a nap around Noon, then come back around 2pm.  He smoked a pipe and the smell was embedded throughout the interior - I loved that smell, I almost wish someone could smoke his tobacco brand in my house, which is probably a good pest deterrent too.  He had a homemade rattle wheel, which I copied when I made my own house, back when nobody made them, and he had an old Pfluegger baitcasting reel on a corked butt end of an old fiberglass rod, that also hung from the ceiling.

A few years after he passed away, my parents told me his wife finally got rid of his two fish houses, which she pretty much gave away, because nobody in the immediate family wanted them.  I was heartbroken and miffed, because nobody ever told me they were available - I was the only one who ever ice fished with him in his later years.  The one we fished out of, was only 4'x8' and could've easily fit on my flatbed trailer, that he always loaded and unloaded by himself.  I did have my own permy at the time, and pretty much layed out like his, but it was heavier and unpainted on the outside. It never came with me when I moved to WI and my Dad scrapped it.

Well fast forward two decades and a few portable shanty's later, I had been himming and hawing about building another small permy.  My dilemma, I'm single, no kids, and most of my ice fishing buds still live in the greater metro area, so whatever I built needed to be relatively easy to load/unload by myself, but yet not such a PITA that I would rarely use it or travel great distances with it.  Well, thanks to Ice Castle, they have the Little Jigger, which has a floor plan almost identical to my Great Uncle's shanty, and the one I previously owned, by having a bench/sofa on one side and holes on the other.  Plus, I have the modern conveniences that makes it enjoyable to spend a couple/few days on the water and is a breeze to load/unload, which allows me to be somewhat mobile and not tied down to one spot. 

I welcome new technology and innovation - I can watch my underwater camera on the big screen instead of staring at a wall or dancing bobber as a big minnow moves about on his leash, while listening to tunes on the radio, without the need of a boombox. Plus, at night I can watch back-to-back episodes of Ghost Whisperer w/Jennifer Love Hewitt on 'Antenna-Vision', which last year aired Friday nights on one of the extended ABC channels, I think.
Thanks for sharing your memories! That is what this thread is all about! It started as a rant of sorts on my part and morphed into discussions and remembrance of people who really love love the sport and keep alive the traditions.  What other type of fishing can you bring you living room out over your favorite fishing hole? Ice fishing!  Times and styles may change but god willing people wont too much.
Crappie isn’t crappy!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Define “extra”...

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.