Author Topic: crappies are there....but cant catch em!  (Read 5375 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
crappies are there....but cant catch em!
« on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:28 AM »
I know this pond i fish has crappie in it as ive already caught one nice one thru the ice. And during spring and summer i catch a ton of em. Now im fishing in the same spots i normally do....but just cant catch em. Tried every jig and plastic imaginable,and now i have about 2 dozen emeralds and a few rosies i need to drown lol. Pond at its deepest is only 10ft give or take. Should i focus on structure like downed trees in the pond, or should i look elsewhere? Any other tips? Ive read just about every post in here and tried just about everything! Help!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crappies are there....but cant catch em!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Summer and winter food sources may not be the same and they'll be where that is. Just need to find them. Winter -  day, transition/staging and night spots usually aren't the same either. They are there, can't migrate South for he winter but they will move around to suit their needs. Punch holes and learn the water

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Ive punched holes all over it. Looks like a block of swiss cheese! Im gonna probably fish it all day tomorow and just keep hole hopping!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Partnering up with people one can trust makes things simpler. Solo and you may be in a right place, slightly wrong time dilemma. Often happens with Perch chasing as well. Just takes time and persistence to figure out the relative pattern, stick with it and good luck 

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Went back yesterday afternoon. Finally caught one on a deadsticked minnow. 9" but it was the only one i caught. My guess is they have moved into the shallows. Last ice season i caught a whole mess of them in the deeper section but apparently not this year. Then again i looked at the pictures from last season....all caught on one jig, and i havent used that jig at all! Maybe thats my problem haha!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Try going out an hour before dark.. Fish the deep spot...  It helps if you have a flasher...My best time is as the sun is setting right into the evening...  Good luck....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:43 AM »
Try going out an hour before dark.. Fish the deep spot...  It helps if you have a flasher...My best time is as the sun is setting right into the evening...  Good luck....
    also hard to beat a wax worm on a horizontal/vertical jig and a latern...... lil lull right after dark but soon after game on
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:43 AM »
Sat there from 230 til past dark yesterday. Fished a few of the deeper holes. Only caught the one but that was around 345. Ive tried night fishing a few times out there with zero luck. No flasher for me unfortunately but i did put a hurting on some nice gills!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Sat there from 230 til past dark yesterday. Fished a few of the deeper holes. Only caught the one but that was around 345. Ive tried night fishing a few times out there with zero luck. No flasher for me unfortunately but i did put a hurting on some nice gills!

In my favorite pond, the crappie often run near or with the gills. Next time the gills come in, fish a foot or so above where they're holding. If it's legal where you are, a second jig a foot or two up your line might not be a bad idea either. Crappie seem to be more likely to go higher to feed than other panfish.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:12 AM »

Sorry for the crappy picture but this is the pond. The whole north shore area is shallow with depths maybe getting to 4 feet, but not many spots. The sw corner is the deep end, and in the south east corner you can see a small "creek" that runs from a small stream into the main pond. Its somewhat deep but its deepest where it connects with the main pond.Any ideas? Lots of weeds in the middle of pond but still shallow there.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Pond that small they should be easy to find. Either they are into something very specific as a food source or they are literally tucked "deep" into the weeds and only venture out every now and then. Night time may be the answer or drill right into a weed bed, let it rest a bit and then deadstick(ish) something in it. Considering the decent 'gills you posted in the bluegill forum, I'd stay after them

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Pond that small they should be easy to find. Either they are into something very specific as a food source or they are literally tucked "deep" into the weeds and only venture out every now and then. Night time may be the answer or drill right into a weed bed, let it rest a bit and then deadstick(ish) something in it. Considering the decent 'gills you posted in the bluegill forum, I'd stay after them

Wish they were easy to find lol. Think next time im gonna try and fish the shallower end and see what happens. Funny they were in the deep end like crazy last year!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:17 PM »

There are some good crappies an gills in there!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Since you are in NY and can use so many lines, I would setup Tip Downs and then jig.  This will allow you to cover a large area using minnows.  Also try the same approach at night.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:38 PM »
a flasher is a must to be an effective night crappie fisherman... ;)
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Next year! Probably grab a marcum showdown troller!

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:16 PM »
When I fish crappie and I always do at that depth nine times out of ten fish half way down and you'll get em. They feed up so you always have to fish above them.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:46 PM »
When I fish crappie and I always do at that depth nine times out of ten fish half way down and you'll get em. They feed up so you always have to fish above them.
x10!!!
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:08 PM »
Horizontal jigs with red wedgee tails
Never to many short poles

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:46 AM »

I've caught a lot of crappie this winter fishing below them. If I see them follow my jig up a few feet without hitting it, I drop it down below them. Usually ends up with a crappie on top of the ice. Fishing below suspended fish that didn't follow the jig up is less likely to get one on the hook, but still happens occasionally.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I caught a bunch of sub-legal crappies yesterday. Only four keepers. Almost all were on a dead-sticked Custom Jigs & Spins Striper Special (Glow Brite) tipped with small emerald shiners. It was the first time that I used my Jason Mitchell 28" Meatstick Combo. I sat over a bunch of fish with my Marcum LX-5, but couldn't find many keepers. I didn't want to change my location because it was so cold out. There was action none the less.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:57 AM »

Found em! Deep water but in the limbs of a tree that fell in the water. They were about 12-18" below the ice. I thought they were bass at first until i caught this one! Only saw a few but at least i know they are there! Tiny red gill pill with a single spike and i had to sight fish em!

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:44 AM »
What I found is the crappies when are not active they are on the bottom , when they become active I find them in upper first third (ex water depth 21 feet they aper at 5-7 feet from the bottom ) and jig above them 2-3 feet ,rare I got them below the ice.
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Good work finding 'em Tee bug!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:28 PM »
As others have mentioned, I always target the higher riding fish as they are (or seem to be) more active. I'm most often in 10-12 foot of water and fish in the 4-8 foot range just seem to hit more often. I usually have four rods rigged up with different color and size jigs. If a fish seems interested but doesn't hit I do a quick switch to a different lure. Sometimes it works. The flasher makes a big difference just knowing a fish is there and how it is reacting. I often don't feel the bite but slowly raise my bait when I know a fish is right there and I see the rod tip drop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.