Author Topic: Need jig ideas...  (Read 3173 times)

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need jig ideas...
« on: Feb 16, 2006, 04:48 PM »
I starting fishing a new alke last week and caught a couple nice perch in the tiniest open water area ive seen- I had a 3in shiner (skinny) on a drop shot rig on one pole and tried a few lures on the other- I have this amazing crankbait with nice action (oldschool and heavy) thats in the shape and color of a crawdad. I got a monster hit and had a GOOD fish on for a coupel seconds but the line went slack as he ran to me and he got off- the only fish ive caught here are gills and perch- its only 10-15feet deep.

I switched over to a 1/16ounce white jig head with a white curly tail (1.5in) and immediately started getting perch- first was a 13in then a 10 then a series of dinsk back to a couple 10's

I kept a 9 and the big gal and when I got home they were STUFFED full of 1-1.5in crayfish clearly born this summer, Next year i will be collecting as amny babys as I can. This place is a long hike in of about 2-3miles..... not fun and the snow is melting so I figured Id bring some tipups and a jig rod and hit it up this coming week during my vacation. the ice was 4-5in when I checked and a good inch of snow on top with bad edges but its only a couple acres. Since then its been cold but we got a foot of snow- after looking at other lakes The last too days have been warm and the ice is thin. BUT its gonna be 20 on saturday and -10 on sunday night.... freezing for a couple days straight at daytime and freezing nights with 32-34 degree days.

I probably will hold off untill tuesday or wendseday.

I need a good jig for vertical or horizontal fishing.... from shore or through the ice... I have no doubt that I had a huge perch on (15in???) and I really wanna get some more.... any advice

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need jig ideas...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2006, 08:09 AM »
I don't have a clue on what jig you could use maybe some small plastics that look like tiny crayfish.I also would like to say that you should either leave a detailed map and tell someone where you are going,Back woods lakes/ponds are nothing to play with,alot of them have springs and you wont know where they are until its to late.You should probably take a Friend just to be safe.Well let us know how many of those 15+ inchers you get and then start a blindfolded walk in guide service. ;D

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 08:12 AM »
Well let us know how many of those 15+ inchers you get and then start a blindfolded walk in guide service.
;D

Try using dark colors on the bottom, and be careful.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Yea no intentions to ice fish really untill next year  :'( after this 4-5 day cold spell I see 48 degree days again

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:21 PM »
How about micro-tubes?  I have a few in the 1" range that work well on my favorite perch lake that's full of craws.  Never tried them through the ice though.  Like the other guys said, be careful. 

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Good idea, i have some 1inch white ones among my curly tails- took a walk there today and discovered an old timer fishing "my spot" Its literally in the middle of NO WHERE

He thought I was a hiker at first until I talked to him- He had a slobbo 15-16in perch on the ice and said he lost a beast 4 weeks ago befiore the ice went to hell- I walked around and he ahd hoels EVERYWHERE LIKE CHEESE

He said the ice was eveyrwhere from 3in to 6 and he was right- I walked all over the pond with picks and ruler, good ice all around and I mapped out the 3in spots because they were open last time a week ago.

The ice had no snow on it and was 100% black ice with little bubbles, he ahd an old mepps on with a rubber worm? Found this intriquing - wierd thing is the fish wont eat shiners here- he  had 3 tipups out with TINY minnows and was getting a single trip, When there was an open spot i had a shiner out getting nothing as well. he said he had heard of 18in+ monsters coming out of here and some trophy gills. I trust these are old fisherman tales but seeing that 15in+ perch got me feeling good.

Picked up a hali today too

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:11 PM »
SOOOO MANY LOOKERS! Got a couple to chase the hali to 1 foot below the ice in 14FOW

Got one that went 8in and nothing on the tipup I brought- Il be back out there tmw AM with a auger this tiem instead of a hammer and chisel- making 5 5-6in holes is alot of work in 8-9in of ice..... There was still an open spot so I think theres a spring there but it was closing up there was a drawdown soemtime in the recent past cuz the shore was 12in then a crack and it was down to 8-9in all over

I set up right next to the only rock slide on the pond and didnt move much but boy were there a ton of fish but they did not want anything to do with getting hooked... not on a hali or a orange and red glow northland jig.... I was disapointed and only tried tipping with worms- visability was maybe 1-2foot

any ideas? P.s. in some spot I needed a plank but most were great  and I was chocked at the ice thickness

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2006, 05:24 PM »
NickP,  Fishing for jumbo perch with bellies full of small crawfish I would suggest a
gold jig with wigglers for bait.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2006, 06:56 PM »
Wigglers meaning worms?- I have an old school tiny pheobe Il give a try with- Im gonna bring some actual pinheads and 3 tipups next time and set up ojn the mouth of a cove i didnt try last time.

I mite try a jighead witha  curly tail liek what i caught mine on in open water.

Thanks Guys

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2006, 10:49 PM »
NickP, there are several small baits designed by Berkley that may work for the perch.
1. Micro power nymph 1 inch long.
2. Micro power craw 1 inch long
3. Gulp grub and maggot both 1 inch long.
Try to match the color close to the natural prey in the lake.

WW

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:13 PM »
I had hope for that power craw but they look so fake! Gawdy 70's colors  :'(

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2006, 12:01 AM »
If it works it works.  Fish can be picky but they "ain't" stylish.  Some "old school" lures work because the new generations of fish haven't seen them.  Records remain on the books caught with those "old fashioned" lures.  Just my 2cents
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Found a closer spot and got a new pb (wieght wise) 12in maybe 12 1/4 , 1 and 3/4 pounds! Got about 2 dozen in a half hour- one pulled my second rod in! But i fished it out with a crankbait luckily and got back on um.

There into 2-4foot of water and hammering ANYthing. My atctic was 5foot ultralight with 4 pound suffix elite, off white berkley micro tube, 1/16oz white/redeyed ball jig head.

SO much fun but the terrain was rough and casting was a pain- got the biggest one on the second cast and plenty of males- took 8 for the fryer. I didnt realize a 9incher was so big! I coulda swore that 12in was a 14in before I measured um- took a little time to fillet but still fun- headed backt mw.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.