Author Topic: Northland's Whistler Spoon.  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Northland's Whistler Spoon.
« on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Hi guys,
I saw this new spoon on Northlands website today and though I would share it.
Here is a link to it.-----> http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=638

It looks like it might be an interesting and effective jig / spoon for the new hardwater season. :tipup:

Have any of you purchased it, or seen it in stores? ???

WW

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Northland's Whistler Spoon.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:10 PM »
That's a clever lure W W. And no intent to offend, one of the IS Sponsors also make a lure along that same idea.

PK Lures call theirs  the Panic.

http://www.pklures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13&zenid=6s69g3r6fn70552n0amnc60ma2

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Looks way different to me.  One has a propeller in the front.  The other has two blades in the rear of the body.  One comes in sizes down to 1/8 of an ounce.  The other starts at 1/2 ounce and goes to 8 ounces.  I'm all for supporting sponsors, but I don't think these two lures are all that similar.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:04 PM »
the cabelas store here in Billings has them, seems like it would call aggressive fish in from a good distance
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:58 PM »
I don't think these two lures are all that similar.

We thank you sir for telling us what you think. You are most astute and observant.

Do you not understand the IDEA of a lure with "Moving attachments"? Is it possible these lures lend themselves to a rapid lift of up to three feet? Will one, but not the other react to thrumming?
Hmm, well, the latter is just what Pat O'Grady had in mind, laying on the ice, looking down the hole, that lead him to design this deadly lure.  Try them side by side and get back to me. Hoping I haven't spoiled yer day.       ;)2

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 AM »
I'll let you try them for a comparison.  I suggest you compare the 8 ounce model against the 1/8 ounce model.  I'm sure the results will be identical.
 ;D
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2012, 01:36 PM »
I'll let you try them for a comparison.  I suggest you compare the 8 ounce model against the 1/8 ounce model.  I'm sure the results will be identical.
 ;D

Lots of guys will probably end up with both in the box this winter.  We don't make a habit of discussing other product, but I can talk to you about our own product -- the PK Panic is brutally effective for pumping, pounding, thrumming, twitching, ripping, slabbing, drifting, and trolling, for everything from walleye to lakers to salmon to snapper to cobia, and we're coming up with a 3/8th oz model next year for jumbo perch and smaller 'eyes.   I fish it in fast deep water for steelhead holding so deep I can’t reach them with roe or traditional spoons and cranks; we have guys tossing it 40 foot deep for coldwater smallmouth in June; and we've heard guys are jigging it for muskie in deep holes in August.  I don't think a more versatile hook has ever been built.  There are definitely some similarities to other products (to Idahogator's point), and some wicked differences too (to Fishrmn's point).

Here's the 1/2 oz PK Panic in action on walleye...

And here's the 1.0 oz Panic in action on kokanee...

And here's the BIG FELLA 8.0 Panic in action offshore.

So yes, plenty of similarities to other individual products on the market, but amazing differences as well.  I know I’m biased, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more versatile lure across patterns and sizes.  The PK Panic is a revolution with a hook on the end of it   ;) .

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Any chance of a 1/4 ounce size? 

Didn't see any ice in your pictures with the Panic.

And the propeller spins, while the blades on the Panic flutter without actually spinning.

I'll bet they both catch fish, if they are used correctly though.
Fishrmn

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Any chance of a 1/4 ounce size?    Didn't see any ice in your pictures with the Panic.  And the propeller spins, while the blades on the Panic flutter without actually spinning.  I'll bet they both catch fish, if they are used correctly though.

We're going to see how the 3/8th oz does before we launch a 1/4 oz, although IMHO you're right, it would be an incredible lure.  And you're right that although the lures will be fished in similar situations and with similar jigging action (thrumming / popping), there will be a presentation difference between the prop and the blades for the guys who know how versatile these baits can be and can finesse them.  The Panic was designed as a "finesse leadfish" while jigging.  That may sound like an oxymoron, but it's legit.  Slam the Panic off bottom to bring in the fish, then twitch it ever so softly just to flare that "blade skirt" like the pectorals on a frightened baitfish as you bring it up and out of the sediment cloud.  It doesn't take much motion to make those blades lift.

Here's a few "ice shots" of the Panic to whet the appetite.

Lake Winnipeg, if I recall...

And Last Mountain Lake...

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Need any field testers? ;D

Awesome.  Thanks.
Fishrmn

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:54 PM »
I surely will not be doing any field testing, as I have what works and it's not broken, ha.

I'll hazard saying, we all know a bit more, now.

Thanks, ALL, for the input.     ;)2

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:53 PM »
the whistler spoon is different in that it has the macho minnow body below 3 or 4 beads and a spinner blade like on the whistler jigs. the largest size is either half ounce or 5/8 ounce I think.
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:01 PM »
X2 on the field tester.   

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I've been using double blade "kicker tails" on some buckshot spoons for some years and there are times when this set up works better.  The whistler idea, has not worked so well for me...just sayin...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2012, 05:41 PM »

all lures will catch fish at some point but you can build your own beads and spinner ,sorry looks like another way to sell the macho to me, and i own pk's to but this is not what the thread was about , nice hijack boys, there is a thread for pk already up

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:00 PM »

Nice hijack boys.

Not sure if that's sarcasm or a complement ~ A tip o the hat to ya either way.    ;)2

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:15 PM »

Not sure if that's sarcasm or a complement ~ A tip o the hat to ya either way.    ;)2
i told what i thought about the northland jig and just what i thought about the PK high jack , thought i made my point sorry and my bud is a rep for north land and i told him the same thing , just my thoughts that's all  ;)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:21 PM »
To be sure, I have both also, adds to the deadly arsenal and the spice of variety.  Good luck to ya.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.