Author Topic: Is Ice Fishing About Fishing... Or Buying Stuff?  (Read 3678 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Is Ice Fishing About Fishing... Or Buying Stuff?
« on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:04 PM »
The more I read this forum the more I wonder.

Today, for example looking at the first 16 posts 75% of them are essentially "on what should I spend money".

When do posts about buying the latest shiney object get in the way of REAL "ice fshing chit chat" and just become  never ending commercials?
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Is Ice Fishing About Fishing... Or Buying Stuff?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:15 PM »
Good question. I'll spend a good deal of money on some stuff that I can't make,  but I get more satisfaction when I can make something for less...well...sometime s more. But I'm still satisfied.  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:20 PM »
I think people want to ice fish, but when there isn’t ice it turns into trying a new shinny toy to fill the void & refining gear to make the outing more enjoyable.

A lot of talk about gear IMO because the season is short for a lot of people. So input from fellow ice fisherman can narrow down what to look at or what to buy and why.

When I started ice fishing 18 years ago, nobody I knew did. It was a huge learning curve. I wish that information exchange was like it was today. Utube was just getting started and didn’t have near the stuff it does today on it.

My biggest mistake was buying a huge eskimo lodge suitcase. Terrible for moving and finding fish. Gear loading unloading sucked. Took way to much gear out. Used a heavy gas auger. Had no idea how to use a vexilar. Was expensive to learn what gear a guy needed.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:24 PM »
The more I read this forum the more I wonder.

Today, for example looking at the first 16 posts 75% of them are essentially "on what should I spend money".

When do posts about buying the latest shiney object get in the way of REAL "ice fshing chit chat" and just become  never ending commercials?

Uncle,

The truth is, when someone has a passion, if they cannot actively participate (ice fish, golf, hunt, boat, sail, etc.) then the next best thing is to buy something for it.

It gives one the satisfaction of "participating" when it is impossible. I admit that it may be stupid, irrational, and even create needless financial pressures, BUT it is still far more healthy than some other distractions that I can think of.

Just saying...

I think that from a common sense approach, your post is spot on. The trouble is that it doesn't really apply that well to spending on a passion.

The satisfaction is simply too satisfying.

Gunflint
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:35 PM »
or making stuff

I have a few rods to build before ice, however

Catchin' Fish

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Talk about posts that get in the way of REAL "ice fishing chit chat"  :whistle:

Lack of ice can make us all act peculiar, buying the latest shiny object fills the void!  :woot:

Feed the passion!  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Like anything else...ya can take it as far as ya want. Pick up a gun magazine some day...or a car mag, boat magazine, snowmobile, etc.  I think it's also because your choices in winter are narrowed down, and items with lotsa hype and bling that aren't real spendy will make the companies lotsa jing.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2020, 04:12 PM »
A lot of folks are itching to get on the ice and starting to get their gear ready.  I think that drives a lot of the posts about new gear this time of year.

Soon, it will be mostly posts about where one can get on safe ice and ice conditions followed by complaints about internet hot spotting.   ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2020, 04:15 PM »
Spending is simply a way to scratch the itch when there's no ice to play on. At least it is for me. Also time for tackle, transportation and shelter projects  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2020, 04:50 PM »
or making stuff
(Image removed from quote.)

What are these in the first picture? I'm wondering if I need them!  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2020, 04:54 PM »

What are these in the first picture? I'm wondering if I need them!  ;D

So bart, no ice by you either?  :roflmao: ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:28 PM »
or making stuff

I have a few rods to build before ice, however

Nice Smitty!!!
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Spending is simply a way to scratch the itch when there's no ice to play on. At least it is for me. Also time for tackle, transportation and shelter projects  ;)2

I agree, be a bit before ice here, so just ordered a couple of rods that need to be built and some jigging spoons that need to be painted, one rod and some spoons will be Xmas presents for my boy.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2020, 06:06 PM »
You bet.  If I buy new fishing line, I'm gonna use it.  Even though there is nothing wrong with last year's line, or last ten year's line...something to that effect.  Still have a lot of pristine lures in original packaging, but you know, always need a backup to a backup sort of thing.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Ice fishing can be one of the most primal methods of fishing, all that is required, are a knowledge of your local regulations,  a license, a means of making a hole in the ice and  a means to entice and catch a fish, but others here have explained it perfectly, my situation leaves me nothing to do but dream and hope,This will be my 55th year on the ice,my gear is ready,my freezer is full of venison,lobster and fish as well as vegetables and tomato sauce..the only thing left to do is brew my winter cocktails and wait for safe ice... OH.. and spend money on gear I dont need.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Ice fishing can be one of the most primal methods of fishing, all that is required, are a knowledge of your local regulations,  a license, a means of making a hole in the ice and  a means to entice and catch a fish, but others here have explained it perfectly, my situation leaves me nothing to do but dream and hope,This will be my 55th year on the ice,my gear is ready,my freezer is full of venison,lobster and fish as well as vegetables and tomato sauce..the only thing left to do is brew my winter cocktails and wait for safe ice... OH.. and spend money on gear I dont need.

Smokin...,

You totally understand!!!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:53 PM »
I enjoy both and love having a some new gear to try out once ice finally gets here.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:49 PM »
I don't spend a ton of money on ice fishing.  Still use my same old rods I bought off clearance years ago, gas auger with a clam 6800 I bought off craigslist.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to, but the pocketbook would get mighty angry at me. 
I do find it fun to look though, and hear what's new and what folks are looking at or buying.  I like those posts on here. I go to the ice shows for the same reason.  But I'm a cheap SOB and figure what I have is good nuff.  Though I did just buy a Marcum m5 tonight, great sale on their site.  That was for the kids, they're tired of sharing, and so am I.
I don't think there's anything wrong with these posts, the latest and greatest are fun reads.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:22 PM »
it's definitely all of it for me..love the new stuff and love to fish..even love building and modifying..it's all really fun..if I had to fish on a budget I would, but I don't so I enjoy it all lol

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2020, 03:22 AM »
it's definitely all of it for me..love the new stuff and love to fish..even love building and modifying..it's all really fun..if I had to fish on a budget I would, but I don't so I enjoy it all lol

This

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2020, 05:21 AM »
I've always fished in one form or another and had tons of gear. But ice fishing is a different beast. Basically all the tools of the trade are use specific for fishing through a small hole in inhospitable climates. When I decided to try it out seriously I went to a sport shop and got everything I absolutely needed to do it, spent a couple hundred bucks on the cheapest stuff I could find, mostly HT stuff... and the cheap HT stuff at that. As the years went on I upgraded and resupplied with better stuff. I think a lot of these "which is best" type threads are started by beginners trying to find out what works better than what they got before they new better.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:55 AM »
   Might better buy now,I'm thinkin' another shutdown is on the way.Likely in January if not before-remember the last one.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:23 AM »
Great question/ post. I can say in my experience, in all types of fishing , the guy with the oldest , most beat up , and minimal gear , was almost always the most successful , knowledgeable fisherman. Same for deer hunting

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:31 AM »
A lot of the reason ice gear sells is price. We can afford to spend 3 maybe 5-600 on a top of the line fish finder for ice fishing. Just look at the prices for top shelf open water units...

Everything is relatively cheap compared to the open water spectrum of fishing. Many of us can’t spend all that money on big new fishing boats, and big fancy electronics. 1000$+ trolling motors when we use an auger to troll in the winter. Augers are much cheaper. I think the fascination with gear is the fact that it’s affordable. And I’ve always said, on those big ticket items, MSRP is always overpriced. Good deals can always be had. It’s not that hard to shave a hundred bucks or so off a 400$+ item, you just got to wait for the right time. Shacks can usually be had for a couple hundred off MSRP.  Overall, you can have top of the line equipment for ice fishing much cheaper than it would cost for top of the line open water fishing.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:43 AM »
Great question/ post. I can say in my experience, in all types of fishing , the guy with the oldest , most beat up , and minimal gear , was almost always the most successful , knowledgeable fisherman. Same for deer hunting

Mostly true until Livescope came along. Livescope changes everything and gives the newbie a serious advantage.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:48 AM »
A lot of the reason ice gear sells is price. We can afford to spend 3 maybe 5-600 on a top of the line fish finder for ice fishing. Just look at the prices for top shelf open water units...

Everything is relatively cheap compared to the open water spectrum of fishing. Many of us can’t spend all that money on big new fishing boats, and big fancy electronics. 1000$+ trolling motors when we use an auger to troll in the winter. Augers are much cheaper. I think the fascination with gear is the fact that it’s affordable. And I’ve always said, on those big ticket items, MSRP is always overpriced. Good deals can always be had. It’s not that hard to shave a hundred bucks or so off a 400$+ item, you just got to wait for the right time. Shacks can usually be had for a couple hundred off MSRP.  Overall, you can have top of the line equipment for ice fishing much cheaper than it would cost for top of the line open water fishing.

Good point Buckshot. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. Ice Fishing? A couple hundred bucks here and there.

Offline blackshirt7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:14 AM »
I agree with a bunch of these posts, when your passionate about an activity that you can only do for a short period of time (i live in ND so I get more time than most) you look for ways to stay engaged when you can’t participate in that activity. I get into purchasing more equipment but primarily I sit around and think of problems I have had in the past in certain situations and how I can modify my current set up to mitigate those problems. So in addition to the auger, fish finder, shelter upgrades, I also end up buying a bunch of hardware, wiring and especially led lighting

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:34 AM »
I’ve been fortunate enough that my family has owned and operated a bait and tackle shop for over 3 decades. I’ve trout and bass fished pretty heavily for a lot of years. Over the past 20 years or so I’ve gravitated to mostly ice fishing, not sure what the draw is but I can tell you it’s definitely my fishing of choice now. I see the other side (retail) of fishing and get to see different types of fishermen for all seasons. I can say that the passsion for ice fishing is different than any other. Seems to be more excitement from the fishermen. Anyone who fishes with me knows that I’m always well stocked with equipment, some people say I have issues with the amount of stuff I have...(wife). The only real issue I see is I’m running out of room to store. That being said I’m always willing to share my good fortune with my buddies I fish with. Ice fishing has come a long way in 20 years from electronics to rods,reels, ice suits to an emmence varieties of jigs and lures. It’s one of those sports you either love or hate, those like myself who love it are pretty much obsessed. I have noticed thru the shop an increase in interest of ice fishing over the past 15years. My concern is I our youth who seemed to be more interested in their phone than fishing. I try to help kids at the shop as much as possible as they are the future of the sport. I also agree with the old timers withe there simple equipment alway seem to excel over everyone else. I personally enjoy picin the brains of these old timers. So for me it’s really both, but I can tell you I am chomping at the bit to get on hard water. I’m excited to Friends I haven’t seen all year. Good luck and be safe guys.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:19 AM »
One reason is the season. Once things freeze, and more people can get out onto the ice, there will be trip reports and big fish pictures. For now, you can only get so far posting " Wish I were fishing!"  "Me too" "Me thee!" ...

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2020, 05:06 PM »
I think it's a bit of both. For me it's always about the fishing. But the "stuff" that
I have purchased, over the years,  has made it easier  and more productive. And fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.