Author Topic: define through the ice  (Read 674 times)

Offline Pandora7

• IceShanty Rookie
define through the ice
« on: Mar 17, 2015, 02:20 PM »
I was driving by a favorite local river where there is a dam. Most of the water had a thin layer of ice but there were some natural open areas. I could see some movement below ( not sure species). I was tempted to go get my spin rod and cast into open areas from the shore. However regs read no fishing through the ice. I didn't want to take any chances and break a rule so decided not to do it. What does through the ice mean? Can you stand on shore and cast into open areas on a river?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: define through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2015, 05:38 PM »
I was driving by a favorite local river where there is a dam. Most of the water had a thin layer of ice but there were some natural open areas. I could see some movement below ( not sure species). I was tempted to go get my spin rod and cast into open areas from the shore. However regs read no fishing through the ice. I didn't want to take any chances and break a rule so decided not to do it. What does through the ice mean? Can you stand on shore and cast into open areas on a river?

Through the ice is pretty self explanatory.
Definition of ice fishing in NH is...

Ice fishing: Taking freshwater fish during the open season through man-made openings in the ice by the use of ice fishing devices.

If your fishing from shore with no ice between you and where your cast ends you should be good to go.
It would be prudent to check the river your talking about in the special regs section.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.