Author Topic: Knots  (Read 19491 times)

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Knots
« on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:36 PM »
This should probably go in FAQ, but I guess I can't start a new topic there.  This is a pretty neat site for different fishing knots.

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/fk_main.htm

To be honest, I had to go there just to figure out what some of you guys were talking about.  I know the knots, but nobody ever told me the real names of them.  I've always called a blood knot a "leader knot".  A half blood was a "fish'n knot" and a clinched half blood was a "double loop fish'n knot".  

This would probably be helpful to somebody just getting into the sport (winter or summer).

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re:Knots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2004, 05:19 AM »
Another good one is
http://www.netknots.com/
My other favorite is Berkley's "Little Red Book of Fishing Knots"

Master the Bimini Twist and you're a pro!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

acsacmboy

Re:Knots
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2004, 03:01 PM »
the bimini twist in my opinion is a good not but not practical. all you really need is a clinch knot and a palomar knot. and maybe one to splice two lines together like a blood knot.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Knots
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:40 AM »
I am partial to the Uni-knot.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:09 AM »
I've used the trilene knot as long as i've fished for, and have'nt been wronged by it. Its a really strong knot, good for pretty much any kinda fishing.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline zack64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:52 PM »
I'll second the trilene knot i don't think i've ever had one give out on me, my other favorite is a plain old loop.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:25 PM »

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2006, 01:44 PM »
 The trilene knot is probably my favorit knot, but ill also use an improved clinch
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Don Knotts my fave Knott  ::) OK OK- SOMEONE HAD TO......

Offline stickle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:36 AM »
if you can't tie a good knot...tie a big knot.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Depends on what I need to tie a knot for  :) The best one is the one you can tie with your eyes closed that doesn't fail  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:33 PM »
I always tie a clove hitch on a spool then a fishermans knot when putting line on a trap or reel

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:43 AM »
Palomar for sure.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2009, 01:54 AM »
improved clinch knot for attaching terminal tackle, the uni-knot for joining line to line, and the snell knot for attaching my egg hooks to my lines.

all three fo these knots have done me very well and are easy to tie.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:46 PM »
palomar
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline amber.wilson.portland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:24 AM »
 :)
 Henry Fields Seed and Nursery Co. coupons

Offline Squeeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:52 AM »
I've used the same damn clinch knot since my uncle taught me when i was 5! Its prolly bout time I learned a few stronger and versatile ways to tie.

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:26 AM »
great pages nice to be able to look up different knots

Offline Clam Sr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:57 AM »
I almost always use an Improved Fishermans/Trilene knot or a Palomar for tying on lures, leaders, snaps, etc. When it comes to tying line on a spool, i tie an Arbor knot. As far as joining lines, either a surgeons knot, a blood knot, or a double uni knot, depending on the types of line i'm joining.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:56 PM »
I like the Palomar for a lot of situations, but lately I use a loop knot for a lot of my smaller ice fishing jigs and lures. It seems to help reduce spinning and allows a little more action.

Offline Bluesonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I like the Palamor knot. It's the first one I learned from my Uncle 40 yrs. ago. Never had a problem with it.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Per www.netknots.com website I guess I use the "improved clinch knot" Which is what I figured. Same knot, 82 different names.  :P

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:46 PM »
 I tie a clinch knot and I also tie snell knots.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:03 AM »
    palomar

WS

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 AM »
I use the duncan loop knot and my favorite the palomar knot

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:42 PM »
x2 on the Trilene knot.  But I use it as much out of habit as anything.  We strength tested it against the Palomar and the Palomar won, but not by much.  Funny thing, I use the Trilene knot but only with Stren line!

The Knot Wars guys called it a tie between the two, and labeled them both 100% knots because the line broke before the knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aqhBQFLPk
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:33 PM »
the bimini twist in my opinion is a good not but not practical. all you really need is a clinch knot and a palomar knot. and maybe one to splice two lines together like a blood knot.

I have to disagree, I use the Bimini a great deal and find it very practical. Is it a knot I will use all the time? No. Knots are just tools, you want to use the best one for each job. Will one saw cut all the different types of wood? I too use the Palomar, sometimes a Improved clinch (I use the Palomar more... When I do seminars on knot tying, I tie it behind my back), Dropper Loops, and I do a lot of splicing also, among others. All are great "tools" to have and maybe for the types of fishing you do, you only need a few tools and that is fine, but the Bimini is a great tool, one that has NO MATCH in strength. Some of the many uses that I have for the Bimini; End of all my braided lines for both fresh, salt and ice. Building IGFA Fly Leaders, joining none hollow Braid to Braid (Loop to Loop) and I can go on...
And as you say "all you really need", but really, some people are happy with a cane pole and a bent pin and they catch fish (I know I have (nail knot below the pin head)), but I want the best tool for the job, not just the one that "will work good enough". I have been a fishing guide for over 20 years now and have seen to many nice fish lost to "good enough", I try to think in terms of what is the biggest possible fish that I could catch in the body of water I am fishing and I tie my knots with that in mind. One of the things that I love about fishing is you can put as much effort or as little in to the sport and it is all fun! You may find the the Bimini is not practical for you and your fishing, but I find it a invaluable necessity for my fishing and that of my clients...

Offline JoshR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Wow, very helpful link. Thanks for posting!

Offline deerhunterkyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Folks,

is there any benefit to tying the snell knot on your tip up leaders? I learned a real easy way to tie this knot over the summer from an NAFC book and I have been using it on every bait rig I come across. One thing I notice is that I have had a lot of hooks swallowed both soft and hard water fishing since I started using the knot. Is this inherent to the knot I'm using? I never really had that happen when I used the Davy's knot for fishing live bait. I know it sounds kind of silly to blame swallowed hooks on the knot I tied but 5 years of experience using the Davy's knot  with very few hooks swallowed suggests to me that the knot makes it easier to swallow the hook...

Either way, call me a nut, but I think I'm going to stop using this knot. Just looking for other people input.

Regards

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:56 AM »
The snell knot when used on a "Down Turned" eye, pulls the hook point at a different angle than a knot like the Polimar. What type of hook are you using?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.