Author Topic: spring bobber help  (Read 5228 times)

Offline arley/pa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish
spring bobber help
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Got a question about a new gadget.I just bought a HT spring bobber-the kind with the flat metal spring. After installing on the rod and running line thru the  eylets on the bobber and the  rod, How does a strike make the spring bobber 'bend to the rod tip' per the instructions?
guess my question is does the line lay on the top of the spring or what.
seems like I'm missing something re the physics of it all.
You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: spring bobber help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:42 PM »
If I'm thinking of the one you have you bend the spring bobber up above the rod so when a fish bites it pulls the end of it down toward the end of the rod. Did you run the line through the spring bobber and then down through the eye on the end of the rod? When a fish bites you should see the spring bobber move down toward the rod. Hope I helped.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline arley/pa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:47 PM »
icedawg-
thanks for the reply but I have no idea what you are talking about."Bending the bobber up above the rod"?
I really think I'm missing something here.
How about somebody posting a picture.
I was never this thick in high school.
You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:53 PM »
If you have the one that clips onto the rod you put the eye even with the eye on the end of your rod. run the line through the eyes on the rod then through the eye in the end of the spring bobber and then through the eye on the end of the rod (tip top). When you get a bite the spring bobber will be pulled down toward the tip top on the end of the rod. When setting the hook, the spring bobber will only go down as far as the end of the rod rather than being bent straight down. There are several ways to rig a spring bobber. This way you are setting the hook with the rod and not putting a lot of pressure on the spring bobber. I also have the type that slides in and out of the end of the rod. I'm hoping I know which one you have. Someone else may be able to explain it better.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline dropshot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2005, 04:16 PM »
arley, ill try to help you out if you haven't gotten it yet.
out of the package the spring bobber is straight when laying on the table 180 degrees, a straight line.
bend the bobber, at about the half way point (at least this is the way i rig it, i guess you could bend it anywhere)
to about a 130-140 degree bend. then lay the spring bobber on the rod your going to use between the last guide and the second to last guide. run line through the second to last guide, then through the spring Bobber, and then through the last guide on the fishing pole. arrange the spring bobber so the eye on it is almost above the last guide on the fishing pole.  when you pull on the lure the spring bobber will "spring" down and when you let up the bobber will "spring" up. hope this helps.
I WANT ICE !!!!!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:48 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7202680928&category=36152

Try this link it shows pictures of the mounted spring bobber.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2005, 06:55 AM »
Ok here is the way i like my springs mounted. I throw the plastic clip away and use a dab of hot glue to hold it till i wrap it with sewing thread the give the thread several coats of clear finger nail polish. It makes it a very sensitive setup and by putting it on with thread it wont come off till you cut it off with a razer blade.

Offline FXjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2005, 11:11 AM »
For some reason that spring bobber looks very long, which is good.
You could try a little two part epoxy instead of the polish, but whatever works.

bigdave1018

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2005, 02:47 PM »
i use yellow  line and pay attention to the line. if it does anything different, set the hook. spring bobbers are neat though, but i graduated from bobbers to springs to buying lighter more sensitive rods and line test for pannies of 4 lb or less. i tie a lighter leader at the end cause the majority of the time the fish are line shy. hope this helps big dave out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.