Author Topic: One last question....  (Read 2311 times)

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
One last question....
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:49 AM »
One last question before this site is a ghost town for the next 8 months...

Who all saw a CO on the ice this year? I've never been checked through the winter. During open water I always get checked, one time 2xs by the same CO on the same lake in the same day!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: One last question....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:59 AM »
I get checked at least once per season (hard and soft water). I see more CO’s in the winter in my area.

Last year during the summer, I got checked by the same CO in the same spot three days in a row. Didn’t see him check anyone else those three days either and it was a busy weekend. I always fish legally though so I never have anything to worry about. Also, on the lake in my town, if you fish after bedtime, you’ll get the cops called on you. Had 4 cops “inspect the area” one night around 230am. Apparently using a headlamp to see at night scares the hell out of people in their houses 100 yards away (that was also in the summer). I never have issues in the winter though.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:08 AM »
I got checked once this year.  Usually about once per year on the ice i will get checked.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:34 AM »
Didn't get checked this year, which is unusual. Usually get it once on the ice at least! Hex

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Got checked last time out at the Slough.
Glad to see him doing his job.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:21 AM »
been 3 years since I been checked on ice.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Mi dnr must have new co recruits..was checked 5 times out of 7 trips.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:56 AM »
this place is active all year long, but your local board probably won't be.

never been checked on hard or soft water, only trying a new fly rod on shore at a kal river boat launch. guess they don't get paid enough to get out of their suv. they yelled out the window "tell me what color the license is this year and we'll drive off". i told them i don't try to memorize the color and had to walk up to their window to show it to them. it was the sheriff water division.

must be some thing about small lakes and private ones they don't want to spend time doing their job.

i had two co's look in our flip vent windows at night. snuck up on us in the dark late and asked how the fishing was on the free fishing weekend.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Was checked once this year, the only time I was on Salimonie.  Guess they figured they had to with over 20 trucks sitting on the bridge.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:45 AM »
I could remember I was checked 4 days on a row by the same co at Bass lake 1 year. You would think that after the second time they would remember I was legal...

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:23 PM »
Only seen a c.o. one time this year, and he was parked at the access point for about a half hour.

Now i did see them a few times while i was driving to and from lakes.
Got one goin'!

Offline mpyromike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I was checked 3 times this season different lakes and different CO’s all in nwi

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:02 PM »
WOW... I must be the lucky one. I've never been checked on the ice. That's why I asked. I thought it to be odd I never see them out in the winter.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:23 PM »
checked once coming off the ice.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Haven't been checked on the ice, was most every weekend on one lake last summer.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:46 PM »
WOW... I must be the lucky one. I've never been checked on the ice. That's why I asked. I thought it to be odd I never see them out in the winter.
I've only been checked on the ice a couple times ever
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I've only been asked once on the ice, and it was only because the guy was out to ask me how the fishing has been.  He then said "I might as well check your license while I'm here".

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I have never seen the Indiana DNR on the ice until this year. They were checking all of us for fishing licenses on West Otter in Steuben County
2 weeks ago.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:10 AM »
I have never seen the Indiana DNR on the ice until this year. They were checking all of us for fishing licenses on West Otter in Steuben County
2 weeks ago.
[/quote
Never pan fished that lake...but I've caught some really nice bass from there including my PB 6lb 21 1/2 " large mouth.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:26 AM »
I think there are good panfish in that whole chain.  The largest gills that ever came in my boat were off that chain.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:59 AM »
Are we talking about west otter at us 20 and 327? Or the one that connects to snow lake?

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:10 PM »
I was talking about the James chain, maybe I didn't realize where he was talking about.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Didnt fish a ton this winter but norm get checked on hardwater more than soft water. Nothing this year though. Got checked 3 times in same day a few years ago steel heading on the Joe. Think guy would have remembered me.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:18 PM »
I was referring to the (West) Otter Lake at HWY 20 and 327. I think that one is in Steuben County or maybe Lagrange County. Not sure.

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2019, 05:25 AM »
Last year on Maxi a friend and I got checked about 1 hour past dark. We had atvs and shelters up about 1 mile off the ramp. The CO walked all the way out to us, we were the only two fishing in this spot. He was checking for short walleyes and taped our fish. He said a lot of guys were keeping 15" fish. We were quiting when he showed up so we gave him a ride back to his truck. Keeping short fish is the same as poaching in my opinion.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:23 AM »
I was referring to the (West) Otter Lake at HWY 20 and 327. I think that one is in Steuben County or maybe Lagrange County. Not sure.

Yes its Steuben co, county line runs through Big Turkey.

Offline Papa Buzzardwizzle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:51 PM »
 This was the first year i havnt been checked ever in Indiana.  Usually average seeing the man 2 times a week in k county and hit or miss in noble but they are there. For the most part they have always been cool  but its weird  ,the c/o s look like high school kids these days . Early season they just yell from shore. Nice to see them dollars working if ya ask me . The ice out challenge is sat and that means the countdown starts again till we can get back on top.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.