Author Topic: Windlass Tip ups  (Read 8274 times)

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
Windlass Tip ups
« on: Feb 04, 2003, 10:33 AM »
Anybody got a picture of a windlass tip up?
Also do you know where they can be purchased?
thanks in advance for any info.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
Re: Windlass Tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2003, 01:17 PM »
go to yahoo and search under "windlass tip up".  Lots of retailers.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2003, 03:03 PM »
What are the advantages of the Windlass Tip up over the other brands?
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2003, 04:07 PM »
The "Windlass" brand is from HT Enterprises although I think the same design is available from different companies under other names.  As long as it works the way it is supposed to, I don't think the brand name matters much.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2003, 11:25 AM »
I have 4 of them and I like them a lot. For pike or pic's I would set the tip-up so that it moves when the wind blows. For picky biters you can set it so it doesn't move like other tip-ups. To me it's the best of both worlds jig fishing or still fishing with out a pole. :'( :'( :'(
Morrocco Mole,,,
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Windlass Tip ups
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 12:23 PM »
Have fished Windlass for many years, and really like them. It should be mentioned that they are tough to use in really cold weather, or if the wind is gusty, and changeable.But it's fun to watch that reel spinning wildly!

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2003, 01:22 PM »
I bought those darn things & I had the worst time
with them.Every time I would set the thing up for
wind conditions,when the wind changes ,speeds up
or slows down,your constantly resetting the tip-up
to changes of the wind.   Or is it just me........
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2003, 04:11 PM »
I've found that the windlasses with the 500' spool are too heavy to operate properly unless the wind is really howling.  Stick to the 250' spool and set the tipups so the breeze flows diagonally across the fan area.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Second the motion re smaller spool size. My ''luckiest" tip-up is a windlass with the smaller spool(might be 200') loaded with black braided line(15#) to a swivel and 3' of 4# mono. Often when I fished night bites for crappie, it produced my biggest fish. Like to mark with a tiny bobber under the pan a few in., but off the water. Gets you back in the game quickly after a 50' run-off! Oh, make sure you put a hand on the spool when you strike a moving fish. Otherwise "professional overide is likely.

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:11 AM »
I already purchased the HT Windlass Tip-UP with the 500' spool, so I'll have to live with the "bigger is better" attitute. If I seen the post previous to this, I would have taken the tip and went with the 250' reel.  Anyway my question. All my other tip-ups have their reels underwater for the fishing day, so when I went to purchase line for the Windlass at Gander Mt. I seen "Braided Nylon Vinyl Coated". Do you think this would be an advantage because the spool will be exposed to the elements?? I also noticed, don't apply a lot to your knots, the coating has a tendency to seperate with a lot of pressure. George in Throop, PA.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2003, 06:57 AM »
I got a couple windlass last year, but I had some trouble with them.  I don't think I have them set up correctly because its nots really jigging with the wind. The arm with the windflap may be too tight. If they are set up correctly I imagine they are good for dead bait presentations or grubs.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2003, 11:05 AM »
George B.....

It's okay that you got the 500' spool...just don't load it to the brim with line like I did.  I probably have 300' of line on it that I will never need, and that adds alot of weight.

GatorSlayer

« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2003, 04:31 PM »
If you notice on the HT Windlass, they come with two different springs attached to the plate that you can adust with a wing nut. If you use the heavier spring, you should adjust the plate down, so your pan rides up. This way when the wind hits it, it will push the pan/arm down and the spring will try to pull the arm up. Your bait will drop down slightly then get pulled up. On the other hand, if you use the lighter spring, adjust the plate up, so the pan points down towards the hole. When the wind hits it, the pan/arm will jig up and the weight of the pan and your bait will jig it back down. (The light spring is used to  keep the arm from folding all the way back down basically) Your bait will get twitched up suddenly and flutter back down.

If you get a windy day when youre not out on the ice, set one up in your drive way and just tinker with it until you understand how it works.

As far as the coated line, I use plain Mason tip up line on mine and dont really have a problem. However, I tend to keep these tip ups in the bucket on the really cold days that promote fast freezing. Make sure you spool up so the line comes over the top of the spool. You will understand why when you look at what it takes to trip the flag.

If you're so worried about going around and re adjusting your tip ups and cleaning the holes out, you're not fishing hard enough. Many times while checking my baits, I will get a flag before I am even done. I think the added motion from the bait when you pull it up and send it back down can really trigger some fish, as well as waking them up by walking over them.

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2003, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies to my question and comments. I always ice-fish with 4 traditional tip-up that my dad bought back when the local JC Penney had a sporting goods section, mid 70's????, called I think 40-Ups.  My 5th flag has been my odd device, the HT Pop-Up, and with good success minus the flag on the shaft.  George in Throop, PA

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2003, 06:44 PM »
my friend has one he said there a preaty good for pearch and crappies

ben

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:48 PM »
I bought my windlass at Peterson-Outdoors.com. I really like this tip up, and I have the 500 foot spool and it blows fine in the wind here in colorado.
You do need vinyl coated line on all tip ups, especially one like this that rests above the water. This line is freezeproof, incredibly tough and shock resistant, and very easy to handle. Just add an 8 foot section of fluorcarbon in 12 pound test. For pike add a small section of 30 pound firelind to the end of the fluoro.
This tip up is a good one. I find that it catches double compaired to my others.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:37 PM »
some where i was, some 1 had a black pingpong ball in the hole so the hole would not freeze up on them

ben

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:17 PM »
I have been learning to use my Windlass tip-ups better each time I use them. I like the suggestion to practice in your driveway or out on your lawn. (Should make for good conversation for your neighbors).   :)

I have found the longer spring to be adequate for all the wind conditions I have encountered. Have found if I adjust the angle of the vertical arm this will compensate for the metal pan sticking in the up or down position, no need to keep readjusting the spring.

One neat thing is you can vary the Windlass position in comparison with wind direction; to jig up away from the bottom or down toward the bottom.

-reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Check your state's regulations on using these. All states may allow Windlass Tip Ups now, but I have heard in New Jersey that were recently allowed.

I may have been using here in NY State before they were approved for use as a tip up. Just figured they were purchased in NY State and looked like a tip up . . .

Any states where they can't be used like a tip up - aka 5 per person like in NY State?

- Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:11 AM »
Check your state's regulations on using these. All states may allow Windlass Tip Ups now, but I have heard in New Jersey that were recently allowed.

I may have been using here in NY State before they were approved for use as a tip up. Just figured they were purchased in NY State and looked like a tip up . . .

Any states where they can't be used like a tip up - aka 5 per person like in NY State?

- Reelcharacter
been using them in new york and NJ for years
they jig the bait but do not automatically set the hook
which is what NJ just passed[use of Slammer type tip ups] :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2011, 12:57 PM »
some where i was, some 1 had a black pingpong ball in the hole so the hole would not freeze up on them

ben

Black pingpong ball?Do you have a picture whitebassbenny?A very good idea. ;)
David Vadnais

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2011, 09:25 PM »
i just purchased 2 of these to try out.

was playing with them in the garage and i found that the flag system on there is not very clever. it takes alot of force to pull the line to make the flag flip up and when it does flip up, seems to really spin the spool and rattles the whole rig.

would think that there could be another way to modify it to flip up with a very light bite????

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2011, 05:29 AM »
I have two and use them alot. Same trouble when it is really cold out they act up. It is fun to watch the arm go down before the flag goes up when catching pike. Just remember to loosen the spool wing nut! oops. ;D
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2011, 04:53 PM »
To make them a little more (or less) bite sensitive I wrap the end of the flag spring with duct tape. This lets me place the spring not quite so far down on the spool so it takes a lot less to pull it off. Again there's a learning curve, so you'll have to play a little bit to get it.

The whole wind job thing is a learning curve, but I wouldn't be without a couple in the bucket................ . Deadly bobbing deads for pike.

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Good tip up except for very cold days.  As soon as the hole starts to freeze it will stop jigging so always need keep an eye on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.