Author Topic: should I get an in-line reel?  (Read 3888 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: should I get an in-line reel?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:56 AM »
never used the pin.  just how many arm pulls or how many cranks off bottom.  pre flasher days of course.

That's how I do it, too. Each pull inside the fish house is about 18" of line down, and each full crank is about 8" up with the line I'm running on mine.

Offline TheStretch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 27, 2022, 09:04 AM »
This topic got heated quick...

I'm about 50/50 between inlines and spinning. I prefer inlines on my UL setups and spinning on my mediums. I find the spinning reels have a better drag on medium to heavy settings, but for UL setups the inlines do fine. All of my inlines are less than $30, the eagle claw, frabill 371 and some cheaper 13 fishing ones.

I just pulled up a 26" walleye that got pectoral fin hooked on a 13 fishing CGi with 2lb fluro. Drag worked fine. I had it set light enough that I could continuously reel to keep constant tension. Can't do that on a spinning reel without massive line twist.

All of my inlines will drop a 3mm tungsten no problem, better than any of my spinning reels. There also is less line memory vs the smaller spool of the spinning reels.

At the end of the day, do what works for you. The cheap inlines work great for my UL setups, but that's just me. I'd say its worth trying one to see if you like it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #62 on: Jan 27, 2022, 09:16 AM »
Boy, if someone wants to use a Schooley, or a spinning reel, or a Black Betty....or an old braided line 60's baitcaster on a sawed off Shakespeare rod, so what? Whatever works for ya. Main goal is to get fish however ya can!  :icefish:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 27, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Thanks for an informative and entertaining thread.  I have used 500 series Shimanos, Eagle Claw inlines, Schoolies. 2 pegs on the handle,
and Inuit style - 2 sticks. (Yeah, I shoot a muzzle loader)  All of them work when they work and stink when they don't.  I will admit that
most of my rigs have small bobbers for strike indicators. I rig for two situations. I use tiny bobbers or just a jig if the water is less than 8' -
slightly larger floats or a tiny swedish pimple with the treble replaced by a small leader and a size 10 hook if the water is deeper.  I seldom
fish deeper than 15'. I catch most of my fish on the schoolie reels on blue ice rods. Most of my poles are rigged with them.  I find that the
larger spool produces less line twist and spinning. True, they really have no drags, but 99% of my fishing is for pannies and a drag is
not necessary.  Not mentioned anywhere is how much the reels weigh. My shallow water rigs weigh less than 1 ounce...

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:19 AM »
If you're wrapping a hose from hand to elbow, you're doing it wrong. Big loops on the ground prevent twisting.  Its the same technique for electrical cords.

As for $75 inline reels. Just buy a $5 schooley rod and go back to 1975.
Do you really think this thread is about garden hoses? I said proof of concept. And I proved it. This site is about sharing ideas to help fellow fishermen. It seems to have turned into a "defend my personal biases at all costs" forum or a "bragging about being a cheapskate" forum. Personal attacks over choice of reels? What good is any of this? Everyone has a different budget to fund their hobby. This kind of unproductive bickering without facts to back up arguments is wasted time.

I use an Okuma SLV 2/3 fly reel as inline reel when fishing horizontal jigs in water under 20'. The reason for this choice is a far superior drag to any purpose built in-line ice reel. It comes at the cost of having to strip line to deploy my jig. When stripped off the reel with a light drag my Blackbird Phantom 3.3# line is straight with ZERO coils, no matter how light the jig is. I have instant direct contact without waiting for spring-like line coils to straighten. Because of the revolving spool the jigs don't spin. The line is terminated with a Mustad 77145 fly snap in #2 or #3. There is a Spro size 10 35lb micro Power Swivel tied inline 18" above the snap to combat line twist incurred from jigging and reeling in fish.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:23 AM »
Ha, I always kind of wondered how a  small fly reel would work for ice fishing, and now I know  ;D

I may have to give one a try someday.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:24 AM »

There is a Spro size 10 35lb micro Power Swivel tied inline 18" above the snap to combat line twist incurred from jigging and reeling in fish.

this is the reel protip, pun intended. Tiny swivels make twist very manageable. I also like that I can change out leader material really quick, it's easier to tie a length of line to a swivel than to do a uni knot outside with cold hands imo.

I have almost no line twist issues with a swivel and an inline reel. and minimal issues with a spinning reel and the swivel

I personally like the in-lines for reduced line coiling and twist, but they are a pain to use if you have light jigs and most don't free-fall very well

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:35 AM »
  No, I think you're a Moran because you think people will believe whatever you say.  And you don't like it when someone disputes it!  Does anyone else on here think I'm wrong about line freezing quicker on an in-line reel.  If so, I'd like to hear the justification?  Lake water will freeze on any line out in the cold, won't it?  Just wondering.  Maybe I'm all wrong, if so, I'd like to know it from someone other than this guy?  And believe me, I'll apologize.  I have certainly been wrong before and really don't mind apologizing!  While I'm at it, I'll apologize to anyone I offended, that was not my intent.  My intent was to call someone out for giving false information.  Again, I could care less what anyone else uses to catch fish, like stated above, it's all about putting fish on the ice.  I just prefer in-lines vs spinning reels or Schooley's, for that matter.  A lot of fish has been caught off of both, so obviously they work!

Dang, how many threads are you going to foul up and derail?  Move on, please.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #68 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:44 AM »
Has it even been proven that fish do not bite a spinning jig?mine spins most of the time and i still bring home my fair share.fish bite mepps spinners too.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Seems like aggressive fish will eat a jig spinning or not. When the bite is slow a motionless presentation does the trick lots of times. This is just from under water camera observation.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #70 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:55 AM »
Ive found the number one reason for line twist and jig spin on any reel is guys reeling in against the drag.let the  fish run and stop then reel in.i see it all the time out fishing.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 27, 2022, 12:00 PM »
  No, I think you're a Moran because you think people will believe whatever you say.  And you don't like it when someone disputes it!  Does anyone else on here think I'm wrong about line freezing quicker on an in-line reel.  If so, I'd like to hear the justification?  Lake water will freeze on any line out in the cold, won't it?  Just wondering.  Maybe I'm all wrong, if so, I'd like to know it from someone other than this guy?  And believe me, I'll apologize.  I have certainly been wrong before and really don't mind apologizing!  While I'm at it, I'll apologize to anyone I offended, that was not my intent.  My intent was to call someone out for giving false information.  Again, I could care less what anyone else uses to catch fish, like stated above, it's all about putting fish on the ice.  I just prefer in-lines vs spinning reels or Schooley's, for that matter.  A lot of fish has been caught off of both, so obviously they work!

I'm quite certain you don't want my opinion but Mumbleseed is right... Spinning reels shed water better than inlines, the bail winging around sheds more water from the line guide bearing than in inline can shed just spooling the line right onto the drum... I use my inlines in the shack but hole hopping I use spinning gear...
This will be my only post on the subject because frankly I find it too tedious to argue with you... Good luck and be safe or whatever it is you usually say.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 27, 2022, 12:00 PM »
Reeling against the drag only twists line on fixed spool reels. IE: spinning or spincast reels. You can reel against the drag on a revolving spool reel and never twist line. It just does nothing.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #73 on: Jan 27, 2022, 12:48 PM »
  I guess I have "never" seen water flying off a spinning reel, especially at the line guide bearing.  99.9 percent of the water is knocked off by the second eye.  But, I'll take your word for it.  Like I said, I've never seen it, has anyone else?

When im reeling really really fast to get my lure up to switch it out i have seen some spray coming from the spool of my spinning reel. I dont believe there is a difference in the line freezing quicker with one reel style to another. I think line type matters more than reel type. The difference in water on line has to be miniscule between different reel styles. 95% of my ice buildup is on my line or reel guides (other 5% is along the bail) so i dont see how spray coming from the spool would reduce the areas it freeze. I bought a few inlines and switched back to spinning due to some of the tangle issues i was encountering. That and my level drop never wanted to work with my light panny jigs. Hand feeding line out got annoying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.