Author Topic: should I get an in-line reel?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
should I get an in-line reel?
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:12 PM »
Do not ice fish alot but would like to be productive when out..Have three spinning outfits,but notice when fishing my tungstens with waxies it is spinning like a helicopter when bringing it up out and assume it is doing that down under.May explain why  alot of lookers and no takers..Guess an inline would stop this spinning?

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: should I get an in-line reel?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:20 PM »
I think they have helped me.

You will get different opinions, however. Some like them, some not so much, some hate them. Some don't hate them but don't think they help.

My opinion, which is all we all have, is I like them for panfish.

But what do I know?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:36 PM »
Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Couldn't bring myself to use one enough to find fishing with it tolerable. Spin will happen with any reel. The inline may help limit line twist but it cant be eliminated

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:50 PM »
meh
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:55 PM »
I really like my inline for panfish but I don't think it makes a difference with jig spin. IMO that has more to do with the knot you tie.
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:20 PM »
what kind of knot is best?

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:21 PM »
I fish a lot with a camera. Reels don't have much effect on lures spinning. What causes spin is JIGGING. A lure will spin when reeling up, and it will spin a little on the fall. When jigging on the up the lure will spin fast, and then slowly unwind on the fall. Repeat, repeat, and now the line and jig are wound up like a rubber band. Jig slowly on the up and then let the lure fall. In line barrel swivels help to a point.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:58 PM »
If panfish is a fish that you only pursue a few times a year then stretching your line and taking the kicks and curls might be all you need. If you fish pannies a lot then go for the in-line
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:03 AM »
I loosen my drag periodically and hand pull my line....tighten it back up and start jigging....helps eliminate the twist.

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:50 AM »
A swivel will stop the line twist problem although I don’t use them because they generate another mark on my flasher. 
I have a bunch of in-lines because I can’t stop buying the next best thing, they work fine, but I prefer a spinning reel in water over 15’ or so.  I have Descents and FreeFalls from 13 Fishing, Piscifun ICX’s and Clam Gravity’s.  I think the average spinning reel has a better drag than any inline I’ve used but that’s not really a big deal with a panfish rod. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:28 AM »
No.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:35 AM »
Take it from a guy who just bought one, they aren't much use if you are bucket sitting when it's cold.  You will need to be inside a shack use it when the weather conditions won't ice up line and reel.  They are glorified Schooley's in a way.  They aren't bad.  I bought one to check it out.  Caught fish on it, but I would return it for the $40 bucks for other gear if I had to do it over again. 
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:38 AM »
Like I've always said, anything NEW and exciting in the ice-world hooks a human first... ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Not to mention some of these in-line reels are way overpriced than spinning reels. No way I'm paying over $25 for a reel that has less ball bearings and moving parts than a spinning. You can flex your Black Bettys all you want I'll stick with my spinning.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:46 AM »
I will break down my dislikes about inlines again.the drags suck,off balance on the handle side,jig still spins in the water,they dont free fall micro jigs worth a crap and still have to strip line off by hand and most are designed where the spool rubs my hand in pencil grip.a cheap shimano sienna 500 is way better.jmo

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:49 AM »
I like my inline reels, but if it's cold out they will freeze up worse than a spinning reel.  Then again when it's real cold out, I'm usually drilling to find fish and then setting the tent up anyhow. 

The drags don't make the same kind of noise that a spinning reel does.  So that takes some getting used to as well.  Oh - and don't fill the spool too far.  Leave about a 1/4" from the edge of the spool empty to avoid over-runs.

I have the 13 fishing Descent that I use for my panfish spoons, but I use the Freefall versions for my tungsten.  If you have a buddy who has one, ask if he would let you borrow it for a day just to try it out.  They take a little getting used to, but do offer some advantages.  I didn't like mine for the first few hours.  Hope this helps!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:44 AM »
I will break down my dislikes about inlines again.the drags suck,off balance on the handle side,jig still spins in the water,they dont free fall micro jigs worth a crap and still have to strip line off by hand and most are designed where the spool rubs my hand in pencil grip.a cheap shimano sienna 500 is way better.jmo

This sums up my experiences pretty well.  The one alternative I have found is the 13 Fishing Descent.  That one feels good in my hand and drops 4mm tungsten pretty well. Drag is OK. For pannies, I like it.  No way I'm spending $100 for an inline reel.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:17 AM »
I have several and prefer them, but it's probably because I've always used them on the ice.

I got several Frabill 371 rod and reel combos from Dunham's for $16ish a few years ago. The reels are ok, but I tend to strip line out by hand because I'm impatient! They do well in temps, had mine out in 5° yesterday and it didn't freeze up any worse than my spinning reel.

I have two 13 Fishing Freefalls that I got when Gander had 50% off. I prefer them to the Frabill 371s.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:48 AM »
Take it from a guy who just bought one, they aren't much use if you are bucket sitting when it's cold.  You will need to be inside a shack use it when the weather conditions won't ice up line and reel.  They are glorified Schooley's in a way.  They aren't bad.  I bought one to check it out.  Caught fish on it, but I would return it for the $40 bucks for other gear if I had to do it over again.

Thanks. Used a old Schooley last year in shallow water. Worked well except for winding in was a pain. Hand over handed some fish to bring them in.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:59 AM »
Pflueger President 20 or 25. Great little reels. I have the 25.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:10 AM »
Pick up a Schooley at a yard sale for a buck this Spring.  ;D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:20 AM »
  You answered it!  If an in-line will help "limit" line twist, it should be better than using a "spinning" reel.  I went to in-line reels about five years ago and haven't looked back.  Here's the bottom line, buy an in-line and find out for yourself if you like it or not.  Hell, they're not that expensive and shouldn't break your bank.  I think I paid $30 each for mine!  If you find you like the spinning reels more, use them for both summer and winter, if you don't just use them on soft water.  Either way your really not out much.  If you don't like the in-lines, I'm sure someone will give you half of what you spent on them.  So you lose $15, you will find out what kind "you" like!  And, if your worried about losing $15, you probably can't afford much of the other equipment you spend on the sport.

Meh they're trash I was attempting to be friendly. It's 6 twists vs 8 twists. The shortcomings outweigh the small benefit and those who enjoy them seem to have convinced themselves that so they don't feel like they've wasted their money. Snitch rods are garbage btw

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:42 AM »
As been mentioned, you will get line twist no matter what reel that you use. Having tried a few, the only inline reels that I use are Schooley reels. Before going fishing I will stretch out the first 25' of line. Sometimes, the night before, I will spray some Reel Magic on both my spinning and Schooley reels. On my spinning reels, after about 6 trips, I will replace the first 30' of line. When jigging, that bumb/bump/bump that Dave Genz talks about will prevent your jig from spinning.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:44 AM »
Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Couldn't bring myself to use one enough to find fishing with it tolerable. Spin will happen with any reel. The inline may help limit line twist but it cant be eliminated
Its not just the reel causing twist its mostly the line. Get rid of the mono (terrible line memory) and go to superlines with a  12" flouro leader.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:49 AM »
To me it has its place, that being to be able to drop a small light weight jig down "QUICKLY" to feeding fish, as in school of perch.  You just ice one, and while you mess with it, the risk is the remaining ones will move on if nothing there to interest them. sure as hell you don't need a healthy drag fishing pan fish.
Bud

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:06 AM »
To me it has its place, that being to be able to drop a small light weight jig down "QUICKLY" to feeding fish, as in school of perch.  You just ice one, and while you mess with it, the risk is the remaining ones will move on if nothing there to interest them. sure as hell you don't need a healthy drag fishing pan fish.

Use dropper setup, I use it almost exclusively ice fishing for perch and trout.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:58 AM »
I have one of the super cheap frabills that doesn't even have gears, just a crappy drag. I actually love it for shallow water. It definitely helps with jig spin.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:13 PM »
no. never. Buy something that wont cause you pain. ie. a spinning reel.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:42 PM »
I've been using inlines exclusively for several years now. One still has to pull line off a spinning reel the same as an inline, difference is the spool stays stationary on the spinning reel. With the triggers they have on some inlines fishing heavier baits and allowing free spool is much easier than a spinning reel to drop bait down, one hand operation. I do not get line twist on an inline like I did on a spinning reel. I have pulled in cats up to 32", pike to 30", and so with other fish and had no issues with the drag on the inlines I use. I've never had issues with inlines 'freezing up' during extreme cold weather. Only issue I've had is when companies started producing their lines in india, china, and other foreign countries, the crap gave me problems on all my reels. 

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:12 PM »
Pick up a Schooley at a yard sale for a buck this Spring.  ;D

Love it.
Oops! is too late.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.