The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: New Cordless Drill Operated Auger Set Up  (Read 2319 times)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
New Cordless Drill Operated Auger Set Up
« on: Jan 22, 2022, 11:14 AM »
Hello Ice Shanty Maine,

I haven't been on here in ages but want to get some other opinions from very experienced fellow ice fisherman and women on here about a new cordless drill set up that I just pulled the trigger on.  It was time to replace my old school Dewalt brushed motor drill  with the older 18 volt battery type any way.  I not getting any younger and the less weight I have to carry around while ice fishing the better so I decided it was time to buy a new auger that I could use the new high powered drill with.  Here is the set up:

Cordless Drill - Brand new Dewalt DCD999B Max Flexvolt brushless 1/2" hammer drill/driver with new 6ah Flexvolt lithium battery

Auger - Strikemaster 8" lite flite with 12" extension

Accessory : Clam plate with strikemaster adapter

Planned modification: install spring return for the clam plate trigger mechanism with shaft collars and washers to further stabilize the clam plate trigger mechanism.

I have two 5ah 20 volt max XR lithium batteries that run other newer Dewalt tools that I already own as back up.

Is anybody using this current set up and what is your opinion of the performance ripping holes through the ice?

Thank you in advance for your input and may your flags fly high and often on this great thick and strong ice that we are getting this season as of the last couple of weeks!

EmeraldShiner

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: New Cordless Drill Operated Auger Set Up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:00 PM »
The lite flite is prob the best composite auger bit on the market. I have the ion G2 bit on my X head. Can’t complain just not the fastest cutting holes but it is light.

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:32 PM »
8 in K Drill, Milwaukee drill. Done easy piezy. No spring chick at 58, Ion in the sled also.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:44 PM »
My 7 1/2" k -drill works some nice, Light bquiet no gass and ligtht to carry. with Clam handles

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:55 AM »
My 7 1/2" k -drill works some nice, Light bquiet no gass and ligtht to carry. with Clam handles
I thought it would be a good idea to spring for the clam plate with handles.  Seems to me that using just the drill handle might end up causing a pretty serious wrist injury which I certainly don't want as my old bones are'nt getting any stronger.   How much more weight does that clam plate add if you don't mind me asking?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:10 AM »
I thought it would be a good idea to spring for the clam plate with handles.  Seems to me that using just the drill handle might end up causing a pretty serious wrist injury which I certainly don't want as my old bones are'nt getting any stronger.   How much more weight does that clam plate add if you don't mind me asking?

There will be no learning curve when using the Clam Plate ...I believe 5 Lbs on the weight .. another tip adding a castration ring or O-Ring will accomplish the task of keeping the trigger where it belongs . The drills spring will kick it back w/o worries

My set up has changed over the years ..but right now it's a   Milwaukee 2704/2803/2804 w/ a Clam Plate atop a  8"  Eskimo Pistol bit prior to that it was an 8" HT E-Drill and 7.5" K-Drill

AS for your set up as describes should be fine . plenty of power . just note on the chosen auger bit lazer blades do not like dirty ice ..ie wind blown salt/sand and brackish dirty water will dull them more quickly then other choices..biut lazers cut faster overall .

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-castrating-bands-pack-of-100

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2022, 09:07 AM »
Use the search function here on Ice Shanty and look for this post:

Clam Drill Plate Trigger Modification
by Defiant1
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:15 PM »

This is a very simple and inexpensive modification to strengthen the trigger mechanism and add a spring return which is what I plan to do.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2022, 10:10 AM »
Use the search function here on Ice Shanty and look for this post:

Clam Drill Plate Trigger Modification
by Defiant1
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:15 PM »

This is a very simple and inexpensive modification to strengthen the trigger mechanism and add a spring return which is what I plan to do.

I did buy all the hardware needed for the trigger modification ..before I could install it I came across the castration ring idea/modification ..I already had the bands for attaching reels to my rod set ups .. I added the ring to my Clam Plate and never looked back ..several of my friends ,which I helped build their cordless/Clam plate set ups, use the castration bands as well . It just simply works .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2022, 01:44 PM »
I just bought a clam plate right after Christmas. Matched it up with my Nils 8 inch auger and Makita 18 volt drill. Works great. Very happy with it. Good luck with your set up.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:07 AM »
We have been using a ridgid drill and jiffy torch so far this winter and have been impressed.   Saturday was -14 and I had my doubts but no issue. Ripper blade vs shaver blade for me.  Have the matching radio after drilling holes,  son loves, simply.  No need for clam plate. 

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:40 AM »
No need for the extension or the clam plate but otherwise you will be very happy. Extensions are more for hand auger conversions, the lite flite is designed to be long enough. And the handle that comes with your drill is just as good as using a clam plate. I've even used drills with no handle and I can't see how anyone would ever lose control of it especially with a center point. Folks with the kdrill will always say ripper blades are best but it makes no sense to me. Their only explanation is they dull slower on dirty ice but I fish dirty ice all the time and my blades on my strike master are mint after several seasons. But my strike master drills holes smoother and faster which means less battery and less wear and tear on the drill. I also have no issues overlapping holes which the k drill guys claim only they can do.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:09 AM »
It's not rocket science, most quality augers will work with these brushless high torque drills. They're all better than hauling out the old jiffy's with smelly gas!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:33 AM »
I switched from a Jiffy to a Nils to a Lazer 40 volt over the last 5 years and haven't noticed one getting dull any faster than any of the other types of blade. I avoid drilling through dirty ice because I want the blades to stay sharp as long as possible. One thing I like about a chipper blade is I can easily clamp it in a vice and sharpen it with a file when it does get dull. Shaver blades have to be sent out for sharpening or replaced. Chipper blades are supposed to be better for redrilling old holes but that only matters if you fish in a permanent shack. In any other situation you can move one foot in any direction and drill through virgin ice.
The only real advantage to shaver blades is they cut with less resistance so they won't drain batteries as fast as a chipper blade. A spare battery negaters that issue. Shaver blades will drill faster but how much difference does that really make? If 5-10 seconds of drilling time is important enough to make or break your experience on the ice you probably have bigger issues to deal with.

Offline RB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:55 AM »
Will an 8" Strikemaster Mora work or do I need a new auger for the cordless drill set-up?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:10 AM »
Will an 8" Strikemaster Mora work or do I need a new auger for the cordless drill set-up?

It can ..but there are drawbacks ..they are short so adding some sort of extension is required . there is no center point on the hand auger ..so skipping on glare ice can be an issue ..also no centering/breakthrough ring so some hang up and jarring on the breakthrough can happen ... and of course weight.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:08 AM »

If you already have, its a cheap way to get into it.  I had an old fin bore that I just bought a kovac adapter for and worked great.  The problem we found is when kids and others muckled on to try, it skated around and caused some potential problems with out the center point.  If you are going to be the only one that touches, might be fine.  Sold it and bought joffy torch that my son and his buddies are using, impressive with that center point and ripper blade, just saw it on sale somewhere for $119.  I'd buy the 10" ion bit and adapter if this was going to be my only auger

Offline RB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:33 AM »
If you already have, its a cheap way to get into it.  I had an old fin bore that I just bought a kovac adapter for and worked great.  The problem we found is when kids and others muckled on to try, it skated around and caused some potential problems with out the center point.  If you are going to be the only one that touches, might be fine.  Sold it and bought joffy torch that my son and his buddies are using, impressive with that center point and ripper blade, just saw it on sale somewhere for $119.  I'd buy the 10" ion bit and adapter if this was going to be my only auger

Thanks Gamefisher for tip as my grandson may be using it as well, don't want any mishaps, I'll pick up an auger with center point

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:40 AM »
Thanks Gamefisher for tip as my grandson may be using it as well, don't want any mishaps, I'll pick up an auger with center point

It only takes one ruined pair of Bogg boots to make it worth it, ask my son, plus the piece of mind, good call RB

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:07 AM »

If you sign up for an account, they may send you a 20% off discount code..I had this drill has Mora style blades ..center point and centering ring .

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/augers-chisels/ht-enterprises-premium-e-drill-nylon-8-hand-ice-auger-kit-100375907.html

RB   PM sent

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:58 PM »
It only takes one ruined pair of Bogg boots to make it worth it, ask my son, plus the piece of mind, good call RB
I hear you gamefisher, made the mistake of looking away for just a second while pulling an old model Jiffy 30 gas auger out of the hole while the blade was still spinning and just barely caught the toe of my Sorel boot, blade made it through the rubber and insulated liner with just my sock left to keep my toe from being badly cut or worse.  Definately not something you want to have happen, especiallly if you are ice fishing miles from no where way up in the Allagash which is where we were at the time.  Some duct tape on the boots and liner was needed to finish the trip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.