The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: MUD MIXER with QUIK-LOK  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
MUD MIXER with QUIK-LOK
« on: Oct 21, 2018, 10:06 AM »
The Quik-Lok chuck #42-66-0055 (fine print) says it also accepts "3 flat shank bits". Someone at K-Drill had the foresight to make the input shaft
to 3 FlatShankBit specs. The drive adapter that comes with a K-Drill fits right in the #42-66-0055 Quik Lok Chuck.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline Beck04vall

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: MUD MIXER with QUIK-LOK
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2018, 05:38 PM »
The Quik-Lok chuck #42-66-0055 (fine print) says it also accepts "3 flat shank bits". Someone at K-Drill had the foresight to make the input shaft
to 3 FlatShankBit specs. The drive adapter that comes with a K-Drill fits right in the #42-66-0055 Quik Lok Chuck.

Yankee, I assume the QUIK-LOC does not firmly retain the K-drill adapter since it is missing the groove.  Does it easily fall out in use?  Does it appear you could turn a groove into it and it would then work like a standard quick lock shaft?

Offline Beck04vall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:05 PM »
I just got mine in the mail, Whitefish is correct it does not fit at all.  I also got the extension and it does not fit in that.  I'll be machining the 6 sides and groove into it this weekend.  Interesting to see what version Yankee got that may fit the K-Drill as is, however I doubt it firmly retains it without the groove. 

For what is worth, I sent K-Drill a message suggesting they update there design to support drills with QUIK-LOC or possibly make an adapter for those who do not have access to a mill.  Doubt anything will happen, but perhaps the more people that ask the more likely.

While I was at it I also submitted a comment to Milwaukee asking for a powerhead specifically design for ice fishing and / or a full ice auger to go in there line up.  They have weed whips and chain saws now, why not add a feature built auger.  In doing so I suggested adding an option for the QUIK-LOC to be standard on the mud mixer.

Doubt anything will happen, but perhaps the more people that ask the more likely.  Also, can't complain unless I've submitted a request  ;)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:11 PM »
FWIW, you really don't need a fancy mill to add the three sides. Some judicious work with a file will get you there. Groove might be a little more difficult but not undo-able. Look at a technique called "draw filing" and that's what will get you to the six sides. If you had a measurement across the flats of a hexagon that fits would be half the battle of precision.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:20 AM »
While I was at it I also submitted a comment to Milwaukee asking for a powerhead specifically design for ice fishing and / or a full ice auger to go in there line up.  They have weed whips and chain saws now, why not add a feature built auger.  In doing so I suggested adding an option for the QUIK-LOC to be standard on the mud mixer.

Doubt anything will happen, but perhaps the more people that ask the more likely.  Also, can't complain unless I've submitted a request  ;)
I like it.  I requested Ridgid to make their single paddle mixed into a cordless 18v tool.  Bundled with a couple 9ah batteries, I think it would be the perfect ice auger powerhead.

Offline Stretch67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2018, 12:29 AM »

Were u able to confirm if the three-flat works? I have a MMM, and a nils blue. Using the Kovac Adapter but tightening the chuck is slow and a pain in cold weather.

Wondering if I just grind the groove in my adapter, if it'll work in the quik lok chuck.

Have tmrw and Xmas to get a quik lok setup b4 heading LOTW on Wednesday morning!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:15 PM »

You guys are trying to install some BOGUS ADAPTERS into the Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck. I simply stated the K-drill shaft, also the
Eskimo Pistol shaft slide right into the Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck. They go in and stay in.
They will release when you pull the release coller.
Again: BOGUS ADAPTERS need not apply.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:59 PM »
You guys are trying to install some BOGUS ADAPTERS into the Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck. I simply stated the K-drill shaft, also the
Eskimo Pistol shaft slide right into the Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck. They go in and stay in.
They will release when you pull the release coller.
Again: BOGUS ADAPTERS need not apply.
Maybe the "newest" k drills (can't speak for the Pistol) have a different shaft configuration than the k drill I got last year?
At that time the k drill did not fit the 42-66-0055, it had to be machined to 6 sides and the locking groove added.
I have 4 of the 42-66-0055 chucks on the shelf and they measure the same as the one I used on mine.
We can only hope that K drill and Pistol listened and changed the shaft!

Offline Beck04vall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Maybe the "newest" k drills (can't speak for the Pistol) have a different shaft configuration than the k drill I got last year?
At that time the k drill did not fit the 42-66-0055, it had to be machined to 6 sides and the locking groove added.
I have 4 of the 42-66-0055 chucks on the shelf and they measure the same as the one I used on mine.
We can only hope that K drill and Pistol listened and changed the shaft!

I agree with Whitefish, our adapters are not bogus and do not fit into the QUIK-LOC system.  Stock from K-Drill (few years old however) they did not fit into the Milwaukee Quik-LOC assembly at all.  We have two K-Drills in the family and neither of them would slide into the quik-loc without modification. 

This weekend I took the stock shaft / adapter and machined the 3 extra sides onto it to make it hex and turned a groove into it (see pictures below).  Surprisingly, the groove does not seem necessary to hold it in place, actually it seems to serve no purpose at all.  The QUIK-LOC seems to be designed such that you can push any hex shaft into it but not pull it out until you pull the release collar.  So when you are pushing down on the auger (with just the weight of the drill) the K-drill modified shaft and the extension shaft push into the QUIK-LOC past the retaining groove until it bottoms out.  Strangely the shaft can't be pulled out at all...not even back such that the retaining balls are in the groove if that makes any sense.  I still like the idea of having the groove incase something does wear a little and the shaft does start to slide back it certainly will not fall out once the retaining balls hit that groove.  I don't really have any pictures that depict what I'm trying to say.  In any event, I did attach the pictures of the stock K-Drill adapter AFTER I machined 3 extra flats on it (the original 3 flats were chewed up pretty good, I tried to clean them up the best I could).

Will be testing the system on the new Mud Mixer for the first time over the new year up on Red Lake.  Hope its all its cracked up to be, slightly worried about the mixer cutting out due to thermal issues as a few other noted.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:22 PM »

Surprisingly, the groove does not seem necessary to hold it in place, actually it seems to serve no purpose at all. 
The way the the chuck is designed it would appear that it is holding the bit in, and in fact it will "sorta" hold the bit in with out the groove but it's really only spring pressure.
There is a wedge type spring loaded "cam" in the chucks that puts pressure on the 3 balls which in turn pushes the balls against the bit shaft, if pushed far enough the balls will "snap" and lock into the groove so it really is locked in!
I had a couple of applications in the log home industry as well as a local company that make mud mixing bits that had bits made  that did not have the groove in the ends to start with.
If there is any pulling force on the bit like a long auger bit it "WILL" eventually come out especially if the bit wiggles a little while using it.
The Quik-lock was designed back in the day for lineman so the bits were easy to put in and take out while up on a power pole.
You did the right thing by putting the groove in. :)

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:27 PM »
I agree with Whitefish, our adapters are not bogus and do not fit into the QUIK-LOC system.  Stock from K-Drill (few years old however) they did not fit into the Milwaukee Quik-LOC assembly at all.  We have two K-Drills in the family and neither of them would slide into the quik-loc without modification. 

This weekend I took the stock shaft / adapter and machined the 3 extra sides onto it to make it hex and turned a groove into it (see pictures below).  Surprisingly, the groove does not seem necessary to hold it in place, actually it seems to serve no purpose at all.  The QUIK-LOC seems to be designed such that you can push any hex shaft into it but not pull it out until you pull the release collar.  So when you are pushing down on the auger (with just the weight of the drill) the K-drill modified shaft and the extension shaft push into the QUIK-LOC past the retaining groove until it bottoms out.  Strangely the shaft can't be pulled out at all...not even back such that the retaining balls are in the groove if that makes any sense.  I still like the idea of having the groove incase something does wear a little and the shaft does start to slide back it certainly will not fall out once the retaining balls hit that groove.  I don't really have any pictures that depict what I'm trying to say.  In any event, I did attach the pictures of the stock K-Drill adapter AFTER I machined 3 extra flats on it (the original 3 flats were chewed up pretty good, I tried to clean them up the best I could).

Will be testing the system on the new Mud Mixer for the first time over the new year up on Red Lake.  Hope its all its cracked up to be, slightly worried about the mixer cutting out due to thermal issues as a few other noted.

The pictures in your post are not the #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok. The attached picture shows the regular Quik-Lok (On the left) that accepts a 7/16 (.437) HEX.
The mentioned #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok on the right  accepts 7/17 HEX. tools, and the 3-Flat shafts as the Concrete Drills and the Eskimo Pistol, newer K-Drill have. If some other BOGUS adapters don't fit please blame the manufacturer of them and not Milwaukee.
The Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok only fits the Milwaukee SuperHawg and the MudMixer.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:35 PM »
The way the the chuck is designed it would appear that it is holding the bit in, and in fact it will "sorta" hold the bit in with out the groove but it's really only spring pressure.
There is a wedge type spring loaded "cam" in the chucks that puts pressure on the 3 balls which in turn pushes the balls against the bit shaft, if pushed far enough the balls will "snap" and lock into the groove so it really is locked in!
I had a couple of applications in the log home industry as well as a local company that make mud mixing bits that had bits made  that did not have the groove in the ends to start with.
If there is any pulling force on the bit like a long auger bit it "WILL" eventually come out especially if the bit wiggles a little while using it.
The Quik-lock was designed back in the day for lineman so the bits were easy to put in and take out while up on a power pole.
You did the right thing by putting the groove in. :)

If you look at the tools made for the 42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck there are no grooves. The balls do not fall in the groove. They grip the bare shaft.
If you only push your tool into the Quik-Lok to engage the groove  you do not have enough engagement of the Hex.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline MNice42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Yankee,

Thx for the heads up regarding this application!  I was on the fence about the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Mud Mixer w/ 180° Handle (#2810-20) until you confirmed that the Milwaukee 7/16 Quik-Lok chuck assembly (#42-66-0055) accepts the drill adapter on the Eskimo 6" Pistol auger bit.  I will be purchasing the #42-66-0055 in the near future.

With that said, I used a new Milwaukee M18 Fuel Mud Mixer w/ 180° Handle (#2810-20) & a new Eskimo 6" Pistol auger bit together yesterday for the 1st time.  I cut 20 holes in 18" of ice with ease using a new Milwaukee M18 Red Lithium High Output HD12.0 battery pack.  The fuel gauge only dropped 1 bar.  That bar was easily restored by simply running the tool w/o any load.  So far, so good!

Do you know if any Milwaukee Quik-Lok extension bits accept the Eskimo Pistol adapters?  If so, I might reconsider buying a Eskimo 8" Pistol bit extension.

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:14 PM »
MNice42 sent you a PM.  If you want your pistol bit to fit into the quik lok extension, you'll need to mill or file the remaining three sides of the pistol bit adapter, so it is a hex, rather than the normal three flat sides.  The quik lok chuck itself will fit the pistol bit without modifications, but the quik lok extension does not in my experience.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:38 PM »
The pictures in your post are not the #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok. The attached picture shows the regular Quik-Lok (On the left) that accepts a 7/16 (.437) HEX.
The mentioned #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok on the right  accepts 7/17 HEX. tools, and the 3-Flat shafts as the Concrete Drills and the Eskimo Pistol, newer K-Drill have. If some other BOGUS adapters don't fit please blame the manufacturer of them and not Milwaukee.
The Milwaukee #42-66-0055 Quik-Lok only fits the Milwaukee SuperHawg and the MudMixer.

Not sure where your getting your info?
The 42-66-0055 is a 7/16 inch Quik-Lok chuck for 7/16" hex, not sure where your coming up with 7/17 inch Hex tools?
The 42-66-0055 DOES NOT fit the Milwaukee Superhawg. It does fit the "CORDLESS" Superhawg.
The top 2 pictures by Beck04vall do in fact show the 42-66-0055 chuck in the upper left corner which is the only Quik-Lok (what I call the double d pattern) that fits the MudMixer.
I have gotten a number of private messages regarding this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.