The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Great day with the kid  (Read 1287 times)

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great day with the kid
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Finally got my son out on the ice for the third time this year. Now that he's 16 and has a job and a girlfriend it's been tough getting my favorite fishing buddy out on the ice this year. We headed out on a lake in the Rutland area. Nothing really big but my son and his gf had steady action on the tipups and I did good with the jig. Ended the day with a total of 10 bass in the pound to pound and a half range, a dozen slime darts, 1 calico  3 trout jigging and tons of sunfish. We were on 10 inches of solid ice with good edges.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Great day with the kid
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:55 PM »
good work. was fishing literally in the same spot 2 weeks ago and got nothing but dink pickeral and one bass. tried for trout and couldnt even get a sniff.

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Yes sir great job :tipup:
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:09 PM »
good work. was fishing literally in the same spot 2 weeks ago and got nothing but dink pickeral and one bass. tried for trout and couldnt even get a sniff.

The trout all came about 3 feet off the bottom while jigging. Didn't mark any up high.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Sounds like a great day.

Catching a calico is something I still need to check off on my "bucket list."

B/T/W - - What's in the fry pan in your photo?  It looks yummy.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:54 PM »

The trout all came about 3 feet off the bottom while jigging. Didn't mark any up high.
the one bass we caught was right in the same area as your first pic and it was 4.5lbs. all i caught jigging was perch and bluegill and they were actually pretty finicky too.

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:59 PM »

B/T/W - - What's in the fry pan in your photo?  It looks yummy.

That my friend would venison back strap pieces!!

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:04 PM »
the one bass we caught was right in the same area as your first pic and it was 4.5lbs. all i caught jigging was perch and bluegill and they were actually pretty finicky too.

The perch and sunfish were finicky. I dropped down one hole and thought I had something floating two feet above the bottom the way my fish finder showing ended up being a huge school of sunfish. I caught five out of that hole and the trout but the sunnies took a lot of coaxing.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:08 PM »
surprised to hear 9in of ice. I thought there would be more. i measured 14in 2 wekends ago when i was there

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:15 PM »
surprised to hear 9in of ice. I thought there would be more. i measured 14in 2 wekends ago when i was there

Same here I fished it 3 weeks ago and we had 14 too. I measured in a hole about 50 yards off the beach.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Good work out there Mike! Glad you were able to make it out and glad to see jr out there as well! only got to fish with him once this year myself. hopefully his lady friend had a blast as well. venison looks good as always. The only  thing missing in those pictures is Jim and his "fire chair". haha. I am pondering a trip up north. the surrounding beauty is still stuck in my head !
Just add water.

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Good work out there Mike! Glad you were able to make it out and glad to see jr out there as well! only got to fish with him once this year myself. hopefully his lady friend had a blast as well. venison looks good as always. The only  thing missing in those pictures is Jim and his "fire chair". haha. I am pondering a trip up north. the surrounding beauty is still stuck in my head !

You know me buddy I'm up for anything. This weekend is out but next weekend is wide open. !!!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:31 AM »
same here. making 300lbs of kielbasa. pork and venison. mix saturday and stuff sunday
Just add water.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:59 AM »
same here. making 300lbs of kielbasa. pork and venison. mix saturday and stuff sunday

Sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe?
MA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.