Author Topic: Snowshoes  (Read 2400 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snowshoes
« on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:20 PM »
With all the snow on the ice this year I'm looking to buy some snowshoes. Curious what works best and what to look for when buying a pair?  Anyone here have any recommendations?

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:34 PM »
if your walking through deep powdery snow you can't beat a pair of wooden shoes. if your mostly walking on 12" or less crusty snow any pair of aluminum shoe will work. just make sure to by the right size for your weight.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:01 PM »
I see you're in Fargo. I don't know about ND, but if you cross the border and head to the nearest MN State Park every one I've been to rents shoes for cheap. Most have both the modern type and the wood and sinew type. You can try both out and see what you like.

Buddy of mine has modified bear paw traditionals that he loves. I have Atlas pair and no complaints. My wife has MSR and likes them. My parents have LL Bean and no complaints. I think most do an adequate job and all are better than post-holing in deep snow, especially with a sled in tow. Biggest thing is the binding type (my Atlas are the easiest to get in and out of I have found) and make sure you buy for your weight after Thanksgiving dinner, not the one you tell your cardiologist.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:43 AM »
I seen a guy make some from pvc , on youtube, that good. 

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:47 AM »
I trapped beaver all winter for years. At a first I had bear paws. One day I broke through a cedar dead fall and got them hooked so I could not get out until I got out of the bindings. I had twisted my back. I went to town and bought a pair of wooden Alaskan's, 10 x 56 inches. I never looked back. I learned to turn 180* to get turned around in the brush. I wish I knew how many miles I have on those shoes.

I know that you are not going to run into this on the ice. Narrower shoes are easier to walk in. Modified bear paws are an improvement over regular ones as the tail makes them track instead of flop back and forth. The surplus magnesium ones that  are around seem like they would work on the ice. If a snow shoe sinks below the surface it loads up with snow making you pick up more weight with each step.

The toy little shoes that are just a joke unless you are walking on a packed trail.

River_scum That is a neat video that you posted while I was hunting and pecking. I loved the turned up toes on those shoes as that would help them ride up on top of the snow. Neat way to heat up the pvc. I think the grey electrical pvc might be stronger but harder to bend.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08:15 AM »
I don't think you want large ones. I have both large and small. The large are great for deep powder - but I would NEVER trudge my sled behind me in snow that needed my large snowshoes. If I need the big ones, then I am not hauling sleds.

Secondly and  most important, make sure they have good spikes for traction. The PVC ones above will keep you above the powder but not so useful trying to trudge a sled uphill. Get shoes with the most aggressive spiked soles possible if you plan to trudge and haul your gear. The PVC would have you slipping and sliding, especially if you hit a packed down spot.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:51 AM »
The MSR Revo and Evo snowshoes with the metal angle framed deck provides exceptional traction and support.  I'm very happy with my Revo Ascents - they're on clearance right now at MSR too. 

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:02 AM »
I suggest you purchase a set of US Army surplus shoes and bindings. They are a middle size shoe that will handle most conditions, very strong, very light and a bargain. The bindings will fit almost any size winter boot and are easy to get on and off. After a winter of use, then decide if you want to go for a different size or shape. If you want to move up, LL Bean has a real variety, but they are expensive. Check out Sportsman's Guide and similar sites.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:01 AM »
You can buy chinese ones for like $70. They work fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:31 AM »
Get a good set of Tubbs. Best snowshoes around.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:48 PM »
I've had a set of the magnesium Army surplus ones  for maybe 10 years and really gave them a work out this winter.  Can't beat $29.95 and I even seen them on sale for that  recently.,  They are the longer Alaskan type and have pretty good  bindings.  Sometimes I do have a little problem getting turned around though but they serve the purpose.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:31 PM »
I was given a pair of WW2 issue in the mid 70's, for years I would walk 50-60miles a winter on them and they had no problem floating 200 pounds through swamps or across lakes.

I also have a pair of Tubbs and a pair of Atlas. They are both very nice for in the woods and you can easily walk over downed logs with no worries of them cracking or breaking. I will say I get better flotation with my traditionals than I do with my 36" clangers. With traditional shoes there is more upkeep involved, but that is part of maintaining wood. 

Around here there are many snowshoe trails and either type are readily available to rent for a day. If at all possible try and put some time on a pair before buying. Another thing to search out is the type or style of bindings on the shoes as they re not all the same.

I do enjoy each style and spending a day on either type is always fun.

WS

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like getting a pair for the weekend isn't going to happen with shipping times and stores already putting away some winter stuff. Thinking I'll attempt building a pair before the weekend and make a point to try some as mentioned so I can buy a decent pair for next season

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:40 PM »
Doesn't Fargo have a Costco? I think they have them most winters.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Key thing to keep in mind is what the snow shoes are rated for in weight, and how much you weigh.

Wearing shoes designed for someone that weighs 200 and you weigh 275 and you will just have a harder time walking in snow because you will sink just as much as without shoes.

Although not exactly the same, it's similar to trying to put a 275 lb. person in a kayak made for a 225 lb.
(my brother didn't realize this until he tried and turned it into a submarine.)

My snow shoes were rated for 275 and I weighed 285, but the shoes came with an added "skirt" that clipped on the back, now giving the shoes a rating for 300. They worked great during that late winter dumping we got a few years back, when the snow was 3-4 feet deep in places.

Above all, go with comfort, price and ease of use.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like getting a pair for the weekend isn't going to happen with shipping times and stores already putting away some winter stuff. Thinking I'll attempt building a pair before the weekend and make a point to try some as mentioned so I can buy a decent pair for next season

I got my surplus ones thru Sportsman's Guide and they usually have pretty fast shipping if you can't find them anywhere else.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Ended up going through sportsmansguide and overpaid but I got them for the weekend.  Got military surplus ones. Most of our snow is pretty hard packed now so I'll have to try the new style next year. Right now it seems anything bigger than your boot would keep you up so not much of a test.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Whatever shoes you get, make sure you get good easy to adjust bindings.  Putting them on and taking them off can be a real pain with some. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Get a good set of Tubbs. Best snowshoes around.
Agree--My wife and I snowshoe as a winter activity. One reason to go with quality shoes is that the bindings are so much better and easier to work with. i don't need the crampons that are on the shoes for ice fishing but they come in handy snowshoeing thru the woods. Mine are Tubbs Tundra---Goole them.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.