Author Topic: wild bait/ black nose dace any good instead of fat heads?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
I never used anything but store bought bait for ice fishing, i can get some black nose dace from local streams. are they any good or have you noticed any difference using them compared to fat head minnows?  i know suckers and stuff for for pike are one thing but im talking dace/ red fin minnows for smaller fish. perch, eyes, crappie, maybe bass... ect.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: wild bait/ black nose dace any good instead of fat heads?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:57 PM »
They will work.I seined thousands of them through the years.The young of the year dace are great perch and crappie bait 1-1 1/2 size,larger ones will work on tipups for bass. All wild creek minnows make good bait.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I used them and they work good, I found out they  sure can jump. I had a bunch in my live well and didn't close the like and they all jumped out.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Dace are notorious suicide leapers! ;D Although you do need to vent your baittank to let harmful gases off, ya need a lid for these guys. They see light, they rocket right at it. Im from NH, but ya wanna check your local baitfish regulations before ya start dropping traps , not after. We lose a season for any infraction, so it`s good to do your reading prior not post. In NH they took bridle shiners off the allowable baitfish list 2 years ago, yet I see some guy still trapping em. He will learn the hard way. ;) Dace are super rugged much like creekchubs and will tolerate more as a result. This makes it easier to keep them in your tanks as well. GL_ROTT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.