Author Topic: windless Tip ups  (Read 1731 times)

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
windless Tip ups
« on: Nov 06, 2010, 01:58 PM »
I have tried 3 windless tip ups over the last two years
I find the hole freezes up and they dont work.

I saw a product called the ICE STOPPER (the ice fishing solution)
It is sold in Canada. Some people said that it uses glycol and water
as the anti-freeze. I have not used one. Does it dispense the anti freeze onto the line
if so you would be puting this stuff in the water. (Not Legal)
If it just kept it in the stopper that would be OK

Has any one used or tried a slip bobber. I just picked up 2 for this winter.
Some people have told me to put minneral oil on the line with the bobber
dont know if that would work or be legal.

any ideas or help would be great

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: windless Tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2010, 02:44 PM »
I took some 5gallon pails cut a 6" hole in the bottom, upside down over a hole.  Put my tip up s thru the hole no reel in water and keeps the hole from freezing over and snow blowing in.
Blake from Elbow

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2010, 02:58 PM »
I took some 5gallon pails cut a 6" hole in the bottom, upside down over a hole.  Put my tip up s Through the hole no reel in water and keeps the hole from freezing over and snow blowing in.
Doesn't your line freeze together after a fish has taken some out and you wind it back up? It would still be ambient temp inside the bucket and that is almost always below freezing. Then the line won't go out when you get a fish right?
I know that is why I only use my windlass tip ups on warmer days.
I have read in a book( Tom Gruenwald?) where they show pictures of one solution. You take a short piece of 1/2"  PVC and glue a small piece of pipe wrap foam around it so it floats. Slide it on your line and place in hole then you can add mineral oil to keep it from freezing. Your line would still freeze on the spool on cold days.
These tip ups can work great on warmer breezy days for pike fishing. I like it when it gusts slightly. If it is adjusted right it gives it a great erratic jigging action with occasional pauses.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2010, 03:32 PM »
do you cap one end of the PVC pipe with a small hole for the line to run
threw?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Pick up some foam hole covers and insert a tube in the center for the line to go through. Then put some mineral oil in the tube hole to keep the line from freezing. Using a plastic coated tipup line helps the line not to absorb water and carry it over to the spool and freeze up.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Nope you just run it through the PVC open ended it is the mineral oil that keeps the hole open.
Never tried it myself so I can't say how it works. I should try it though as I do like the acton of the wind tipups.
Also be sure to check local regulatons before putting mineral oil in the water.

dkfry good point on the coated line. I have never tried the coated line. Regular tipup line works well for me but now I might be compelled to try the coated stuff.
Any suggestions on a brand to use?
KasilofChrisN

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2010, 04:39 PM »
you think a slip bobber would work with
some mineral oil on it

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2010, 07:20 PM »
you think a slip bobber would work with
some mineral oil on it
Maybe if you got one of the ones that have the hard plastic "straw" that goes all the way through it. You would have to put the oil inside the "straw" part.
I think the point is the mineral oil floats and will not freeze at average winter temps. So basically you need a small "pool" or "puddle" of oil for your line to run through as it goes up and down.
KasilofChrisN

Offline dsids

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2010, 02:56 AM »
If you buy the foam hole covers that come with plastic tubing, use those and they work great. Mineral oil or vaseline will prevent freeze up of the tubing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Use the vinyl coated line on your windlass spools. It's a little different but really keeps from freezing into a rock when it gets wet. A little silicone fly line dressing doesn't hurt from time to time either.

I cut hole covers from old inner tubes. Absolutely won't freeze to the ice, don't take up hardly any space and keeps holes amazingly open; especially on sunny days when the solar energy can work it's magic. I am going to try out some Ice Stoppers this year for those really bitter, windy days when maintenance is difficult.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.