New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339064 times)

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9540 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:02 PM »
The big ridge?  Ouch that had to sting.

The one out by Montcalm point. Big red got a pretty good look at him jumping the ridge and landing hard. I was over a quarter mile away and I could hear it clearly.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9541 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Yes, slimy sculpin are in there, just not in the numbers of schooling forage like smelt and cisco. I have seen lakers spit them up alive several times and even found a few lives ones hiding in plastic bags or fabric that gets caught on a downrigger ball. Find them once in a while in their stomachs when cleaning them; found one with about 15 a couple years ago, not sure how it managed to find that many to eat.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9542 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:14 PM »
About 6" out of Gull Bay this past weekend but found a couple of spots with a little less. The wind on Friday was insane up there the whole ice sheet was moving and it busted up the shoreline quite a bit to where planks were needed but once a few feet out it was fine. Perch were biting pretty good but there were a lot of dinks.

JJ

« Reply #9543 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:30 PM »
A customer jigged up this 29" yesterday with teeth marks in it, the rows are pretty close together so it looks like another trout as opposed to a pike with the teeth farther apart. Have seen both before but usually it's trout biting other trout, sometimes the wounds are fresh and bleeding. Also not the first time with lakers this big.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9544 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:02 PM »
maybe the marks are from a feeding frenzy on a smelt ball?
I caught a 24 inch land lock a few years ago that had very definite big toothy marks on both sides from a pike...actually kind of scary to think of the size of fish that would do that to a plump salmon!

Offline jackperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9545 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:28 AM »
Here's my situation:
I am Jersey guy skiing in VT w/my son for a few days and will be driving past "the King" on my way home this Saturday afternoon.  I have never fished there.  My son, who has just turned 14, wants to catch a lake trout before I do (no, I never caught one). Knowing NOTHING about the"The King" other than what i have gleaned from these reports, I am looking for the most general of advice. 

This is what I will have with me:

One Nils 4.5 hand auger (I am a perch guy, mostly)
Several jigging rods rigged with Swedish Pimples, Jigging Rapalas of various sizes
NO electronics
One enthusiastic 14-year old

What I am looking for:

A GENERAL, POPULAR, NOT-SECRET place where I can park and get on the lake (no 4WD either...)
A POPULAR, WELL-KNOWN, NOT-SECRET fishing spot, where I will see groups of guys fishing
Any other general tips you might give a first-time lake trout jigger

At this point, I would just like to see someone catch a lake trout. If it happens to be my son, well that would be awesome.

What do you think?  Keep driving or give it a shot?  I figure I will have about two hours to fish from about 2-4 p.m.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, tips.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9546 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:37 AM »

What do you think?  Keep driving or give it a shot?  I figure I will have about two hours to fish from about 2-4 p.m.

Access-wise, given your travel pattern, I'd say FA Beach or Hearthstone Campground.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9547 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:42 AM »
Access-wise, given your travel pattern, I'd say FA Beach or Hearthstone Campground.

hearthstone might be out for him. We are about to get bombed with possibly 16" of snow, and he does not have 4WD.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #9548 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:44 AM »

Keep Driving ! 2 Hours knowing nothing , at 2-4pm , Waist of Time ! IMO
Paul

Offline jackperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9549 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:48 AM »
hearthstone might be out for him. We are about to get bombed with possibly 16" of snow, and he does not have 4WD.

Thanks for this.

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9550 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Thanks for this.

Its always worth it to go. I would park in the village, or on main st near Duffys Bar, head out to 30-45FOW out of shepards park, its a short walk probably plowed or beat down from sleds by Sat. It will be noisy with the helicopter and ATV races but I have caught lakers right during the races noise does not seem to bother them much. If the fishing stinks at least your son will be occupied with all the activity.

Fishmon

« Reply #9551 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I was around huletts area when I drilled 18" my drill was buried. Couple hundred yards away was 8-9. I did not hit it with a measuring tape but it was definitely over 16". I was going to hit the ice today but I came up with the plague yesterday. Now all the snow will be here tomorrow and back to the terrible drags. Next year I will have another 4 wheeler no doubt!

Fished yesterday in north basin off Rogers Rock and measured 7-8 inches just about everywhere.  Wind was godawful, but stayed in Otter.  Had to install anchors at all 4 corners and two tie down points.  Watched guys chasing miscellaneous items flying down that glare ice.  Great exercise.  Lakers were slow to start but picked up fast in pm.  Shoreline ice was crunching away making some really loud noises.  Snow will make things tough out there again.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9552 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:26 AM »

I would do Fort Ann Beach as well. It's close to your route back from Vermont, there is deep water within a very short walk and there will be people out fishing who I am sure would be happy to show a 14 year old how to jig a laker. By that time in the afternoon there will most likely be abandoned holes you can reopen so you won't have to lose one at your 4.5 inch hole!

If you really want to catch one and you ice fish much suck it up and buy a flasher. You will wonder how you ever lived without it. If you don't have one just drop your jig all the way to the bottom and reel it back up. ....   over and over and you may just get a fish to bite.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline jackperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9553 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:31 AM »

Its always worth it to go. I would park in the village, or on main st near Duffys Bar, head out to 30-45FOW out of shepards park, its a short walk probably plowed or beat down from sleds by Sat. It will be noisy with the helicopter and ATV races but I have caught lakers right during the races noise does not seem to bother them much. If the fishing stinks at least your son will be occupied with all the activity.
Perfect.  Thanks a lot and I agree about it always being worth it.  I know if I don't go, I'm guaranteed a skunking :)

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9554 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Here's my situation:
I am Jersey guy skiing in VT w/my son for a few days and will be driving past "the King" on my way home this Saturday afternoon.  I have never fished there.  My son, who has just turned 14, wants to catch a lake trout before I do (no, I never caught one). Knowing NOTHING about the"The King" other than what i have gleaned from these reports, I am looking for the most general of advice. 

Several jigging rods rigged with Swedish Pimples, Jigging Rapalas of various sizes
NO electronics

What I am looking for:

A GENERAL, POPULAR, NOT-SECRET place where I can park and get on the lake (no 4WD either...)
A POPULAR, WELL-KNOWN, NOT-SECRET fishing spot, where I will see groups of guys fishing

At this point, I would just like to see someone catch a lake trout. If it happens to be my son, well that would be awesome.

Fort Anne beach follow the path in the snow unless it’s real cold I wouldn’t even carry the auger you’ll fine holes. If you have the navionics app it would be a huge help to find the break for the deep water. Although now I use electronics I judged a lot of lakers without them, drop to bottom come up 5 cranks and jig ever 2-4 minutes come up to the top in 3-5 crank intervals. I’ve had some of my best hours at around 2pm, yesterday I caught 11 between 1:30-2:30pm.

Offline TheGobyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9555 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Here's my situation:

NO electronics

What I am looking for:

Go for it. I’ve had some good action in the afternoon. Fish in the same contour as everyone else, maybe you’ll find an open hole. It’ll be a battle trying to fit a laker through a 4 inch hole. Try to pick up some 3-4 inch soft plastic minnows or tube baits, white or natural colored, and jig heads at least 3/8 Oz. Eyes on the jigs can increase your chances. Drop to bottom, retrieve it back up. Vary the speed and action.  Don’t be afraid to reel fast, you won’t be able to keep it away if they really want it. Set the hook hard. Good luck! Hope your boy gets one first.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9556 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:50 AM »
A customer jigged up this 29" yesterday with teeth marks in it, the rows are pretty close together so it looks like another trout as opposed to a pike with the teeth farther apart. Have seen both before but usually it's trout biting other trout, sometimes the wounds are fresh and bleeding. Also not the first time with lakers this big.

In the last two weeks, I have seen both an extremely large, thick pike AND and a humongous laker cruise just under the ice.   both fish would only nudge my lure.   the laker was the biggest trout i've ever seen.

Offline jackperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9557 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:10 AM »
Thanks for all these great replies.  Here's my sport with a Delaware river shad. Hoping to add laker to the life list.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #9558 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Thanks for all these great replies.  Here's my sport with a Delaware river shad. Hoping to add laker to the life list.

Good Luck , hope he gets his Laker ! :tipup:
Paul

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9559 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:59 PM »
How does the ice usually look in bolton landing area mid march. plan a trip in the area march 16th ish for a few days. Have a camp on the lake we will be staying. ok if lake george is not good we could always drive elsewhere. Just curious if we have any chance of hitting lake george.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9560 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:10 PM »
How does the ice usually look in bolton landing area mid march. plan a trip in the area march 16th ish for a few days. Have a camp on the lake we will be staying. ok if lake george is not good we could always drive elsewhere. Just curious if we have any chance of hitting lake george.

Impossible to answer with any degree of certainty but you are playing with fire that late in the season.  It could be good it could be bad.  You could get on that day and have to get wet to get off.  The King in March can be quite the fickle beast.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9561 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:06 PM »
The King is a fickle Beast even in the best of conditions let alone mid March
Go big or go home

Offline Toyotaguy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9562 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:43 PM »
I definitely agree .2nd week in March is when I took my first swimming lesson . LESSON LEARNED!!

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9563 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Thanks guys, sounds like lake george will  be plan B haha.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9564 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:07 PM »
It all depends on the temp and snow fall the rest of the month into march.  2015 the ice was good into April.
AM

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9565 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:34 PM »
It all depends on the temp and snow fall the rest of the month into march.  2015 the ice was good into April.

We walked off last year the last weekend of March ...  even caught fish that day 😎
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9566 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:44 PM »
First fishing trip to lg this weekend!!! im pumped. friday cant get here soon enough

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9567 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:03 PM »
We walked off last year the last weekend of March ...  even caught fish that day 😎
Me too but got skunked as usual,  lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9568 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:46 PM »

You missed April bite and that's a shame.  I was out there on Easter and the day after.  Easter cost me...those troopers are unrelenting.  After a brief stop to see if my hands were capable of holding the hood of my truck I got up there and caught.  Garufi made it up too.  12-14"on Easter.  6-7 the day after! 

Offline 15 inches of Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9569 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:19 PM »
There will be a cold blast across the country toward the end of February, hopefully lasting into March so you may be ok.  These are degrees below normal, not temperatures, although you can adjust it for temperatures also.  https://climatereanalyzer.org/wx/fcst/#gfs.conus-lc2.t2anom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.