Author Topic: marking tipups  (Read 2875 times)

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
marking tipups
« on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:57 AM »
I fish alot on lakes that have at times quite a bit of snow.  From a distance I might have a tough time visually seeing where they are especially at dark or when picking up at the end of the day or when it is snowing.  I like to sit sometimes when I'm jigging and just take a quick glance to find my tip ups.  also looking at a way to mark my tip ups so I don't have to worry about snowmobiles don't run them over.  I saw a guy use orange pylons. I really don't like that idea  What about you guys?

i thought about 3/4 in pvc tubing spraypainted a flourcecent color or have some surveyors tape on them.  Maybe make them about 18 -24 inches.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: marking tipups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:01 AM »
You can get small parking cones (like the ones they use for soccer practice and such) for about $.50 each. 

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:53 PM »
i like to shovel out the area around the hole or pack down all the snow, makes it easy to a  :tipup: even from a distance

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:37 PM »
I use the small orange soccer cones (cheap and easy to see). I put reflective tape on the top 1/3 so at night the sleds/atv will see them.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:08 PM »
I have larger standing tip-ups so I don't really have to mark them, but if I did, there are fiberglass rods that you can get from Home Depot that are used to mark driveways and such for plowing.  I would probably look at these.  They would take up a lot less space in your sledd and would think they would be just as visible on the ice. 
Chris Raymond

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Man the way some guys drive their sleds nothing would stop em, even a wall.
I use the polars with the extension flags. There has been several close calls with sleds, the extension flags is easy to see when tripped.
I would go with a light solution to your problem.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:31 PM »
i like to shovel out a large area... sometimes we'll put sticks near the tip ups in the snow to know where they are.. a little reflector tape on them for night and u are set

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:19 AM »
Buy some sticks of PVC pipe. Any diameter will do. Cut them into 2 to 3 foot sections. Paint them flourescent orange. After you drill your hole, make a mound out of the slush and stick your bright orange PVC pipe into the center of it standing upright. For night markers, put a ring or two of reflective tape around the top. Works really good, especially for Polar type TipUps that sit flat on the ice.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2008, 07:05 PM »
i have 4 round polar tip ups that have a telescoping flag that can be extended to 4 feet

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Man the way some guys drive their sleds nothing would stop em, even a wall.
I use the polars with the extension flags. There has been several close calls with sleds, the extension flags is easy to see when tripped.
I would go with a light solution to your problem.

a few reflective signs stating thin ice usually takes care of the sleds. and i put a thin stip of relfective tape on the upright of the tip up so that i can see if with a quick swipe of the flash light

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:57 AM »
Another trick i have seen is take a shovel out with you and put mound of snow and or ice behind your tip up to mark as well as see the flag in front of it!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I rarely need them but you can grab a handful of wire flags from any utility company.  They use them for stake outs and come in a variety of colors.  Next time you see a telephone company truck or the cable guy ask them for a hand full.  The same flags are used during the installation of Invisible Fences but they are white and sorta defeat the purpose.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:48 PM »
maybe big bob traps by jack traps :tipup:
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I saw a guy use orange pylons. I really don't like that idea  What about you guys?

i thought about 3/4 in pvc tubing spraypainted a flourcecent color or have some surveyors tape on them.  Maybe make them about 18 -24 inches.

Just a dark or striped stick works fine - put a couple of bright-eyes or reflective tape on it. Had some buddies use these to ward off people from "their" area. Writing "DANGER - BAD ICE" on the sticks seemed to deter people from taking them also.

I'm used to watching for BRIGHT FLAGS popping up signalling action and personally don't like other bright flaggish things sitting there or blowing around where I can see them.

Buckets, augers, sleds, spuds, etc. Spread 'em out. ALL work to deter the machines. I use Slammer Tip-Ups and they are large enough to see from a distance. For night-fishing or napping I rig them with Strike Sensor pagers which have a bright red light that goes on as well as the pager beeping in my pocket. The snowmobilers stay well away from them as well.

Here's a typical "napping" Slammer spread.

And here's how I get around deep and blowing snow now.

Stilt them up !!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.