The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: hows the ice around Kalamazoo??? sugarloaf???  (Read 1873 times)

Offline slabkilla

• IceShanty Rookie
hows the ice around Kalamazoo??? sugarloaf???
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:41 PM »
Anyone have any reports on the ice around kalamazoo?????

Offline iceman1183

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: hows the ice around Kalamazoo??? sugarloaf???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:33 PM »
Yesterday sugarloaf had 4"of black ice with  about 4" snow and some standing water.  Fishing off the boat launch has not produced a single fish for me in the past three days, nor have I been able to mark any with the vexilar.   I have seen several guys out there and none of them have had much success either. I have not ventured out pass the boat launch more than 300 yards because last Friday there was open water in the middle of the lake and with the extra weight of the snow and water I don't trust the ice.   

Offline wilkintj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:34 PM »
I saw a couple shanties up on the south end of Gull Lake Tuesday evening.

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:44 PM »
Give sugarloaf until this weekend... It should be fine. Get out about 100 yards SW of the access out toward the middle around 7:30-8:30pm... KILLER Crappie!

Offline slabkilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Yhanks I did see a couple of guys out there today but I think i will wait till saturday.... man it sucks waiting for the ice

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Those guys out there on Sugarloaf right now have more cahonies than I do... I wouldn't trust out there until this weekend. After that though, I am all up for going out there.

Let me know if you need a fishing buddy. I need to get away from the wife for a while...

Offline bcar1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Any one have any advice for lakes around the Kalamazoo/Portage area?  I am a transplant from the east side of the state and am looking for good perch and gills.  I have heard that Austin Lake is/has been pretty good but any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to get out this weekend.  Spent last weekend up in Atlanta smelt fishing on Lake 15.  Didn't do as good as years past but smelt fishing is always fun.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you'll never see him again!!

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:51 PM »
On Austin, just jig 2 ft. from the bottom... Jig once every 20 seconds or so... Use wax worms. They are sort of picky with anything else...

Besides that, just have fun and be safe! :)

Offline bcar1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Hey klzeprobe83, thanks!!

I might have to get out one night and get after them crappies.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you'll never see him again!!

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:21 PM »
Perch have been hitting on Austin too!  Some pretty good sized, just have to hit them at the right time.

Offline bcar1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:59 AM »
Thanks velocty98,  I haven't been out on Austin yet but drove by last night after work and no one was out.  All the studies I have read indicate that it is a pretty shallow lake so I imagine the ice is probably pretty good even with the brief warm up.  Do most people park at the launch and head out from there? 

Offline Eyecatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:17 AM »
Yes the Austin is pretty shallow.  The launch is the best access.  Before the ice went out the Perch were hitting really good East/NorthEast of the launch and about half way a little more than half way across.  The lake should have good ice but I have not been on it since the refreeze.  Wigglers are a good bait for the perch as well and I talked with a guy that was using a very small jiggin rap.  I did well using red spikes but not as good as I would have liked.  The key to Austin is to move around until you find a concentration of fish and then bang the area.  Good Luck

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:54 AM »
Exactly what eyecatcher said.   ;D

Offline bcar1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all of the help!!  It's nice to get advice and tips.  The guys I used to fish with in the UP treated their lakes like Ft. Knox and wouldn't let you in on anything.  ::)  I swear that I won't fish it empty, just enough to feed the family!!   ;D

Offline shortyonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:27 AM »
I was out on Sugarloaf just last night, only had about 2 1/2 to 3 inches of ice. Caught some bluegill until it got dark and the bite stopped. Hoping to go gack out this morning, but kids had a snowday, so had to stay home with them. Hope all this snow doesn't over weight it.

Offline WMU_Bronco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Sugarloaf does nothing for me.  Went all over that lake recently and havn't found anything.  There's a good amount of ice (5"-6").  However I still have can't fish anywhere near where I did last year.

Offline bcar1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Well, I made it out on Austin today.  I didn't get skunked but the decent gills survive to bite another day. ;)  It was nice to get out and I did catch a couple dozen palm size gills but the bigger ones got away.  It didn't help that I found out the hard way that my auger is a little dull, but I did bring the spud.  There was atleast 5-6 inches of black ice even with the snow cover.  I've heard of some Pike over on Long Lake so might try that next.  Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Thanks for the update bcar.  I'm thinking the storm that came through slowed things down alittle.  I may see you out on Long tomorrow.  I'm heading out tomorrow, just not sure where yet.  I've been waiting for Gull to freeze over all winter, and now that it finally is, i'm thinking about checking that out.  Either way, good luck!

Offline bcar1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Thanks for the update bcar.  I'm thinking the storm that came through slowed things down alittle.  I may see you out on Long tomorrow.  I'm heading out tomorrow, just not sure where yet.  I've been waiting for Gull to freeze over all winter, and now that it finally is, i'm thinking about checking that out.  Either way, good luck!

Hey velocty,

There's a shanty meeting on Gull tonight.  Report last night has 6 inches of ice covered by 3 inches of slush and guys fishing 300 yards out from the Praireville launch.  It's smelt fishing time!!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.