Author Topic: What is OK to leave on the ice?  (Read 4900 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is OK to leave on the ice?
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:36 PM »
With the dearth of snow on the ice, I have learned a lot about what other fishermen  leave behind. I was never aware of so many holes in the ice- I guess now that everyone has a power auger, we can drill a lot more than before. I have seen worm containers, perch blood, remains of fires on the ice, and for the first time "poop". There was a nasty pile, with about half a roll of toilet paper in a soggy puddle on Tuesday. I can only assume that those pop up shacks are used for more than jigging.
Is this OK? Aside from the sanitary issues, is this legal? Is it littering?
 :-\

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What is OK to leave on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Hell yes it's littering! I catch ya, I'll take pics names locations and vehicle info and blast yet info all over and quick call to the authorities. We've had plenty of problems around my area at a certain popular lake to consider the canal company closing access during the winter  months. Personally I'd like to continue fishing these areas. So if I've gotta be a dink about it, I've got no problems. Fish blood excluded.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:49 PM »
It’s sad what people think is alright to do on our lakes. I️ just don’t understand there thinking. As far as I’m concerned if you brought it out there take it back with you. Enough said.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:59 PM »
Footprints, worm gut splatter and the occasional blood drips. Poop? Those lazy arses should have taken the walk off the ice to the aspens. That's my two cents.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:41 PM »
Besides truly misplaced/lost items..

A few flung minnows, scales, some sawdust happens, ashes (no butts), blood, spilled coffee, a few other liquids possibly..

Maybe branches for spearing holes..

NOTHING else I can think of..

Anything more you graduate from sportsman to pig..

Including sub par poorly built Smittys on Erie..

<°)))>{

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:15 AM »
People poop into the holes up here

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:47 AM »
I carry several plastic bags with me one for garbage one to put my Catch in . And if I  have to . I put a bag in a bucket , do my business.  Tie a knot  in it and dispose properly.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:25 AM »
One of my biggest complaints is the trash I see left on the ice and also on shore after ice out. Pack it in, pack it out. Blood and ashes from smoking do not bug me, but worm containers and stuff like that is just inexcusable. Poop?!? If I ever saw that and caught who it was you can bet your ass I would make sure it was dealt with.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I dont mind bait not in containers, sawdust, worm dirt, ashes and especially fish blood. Thats always a good sign for me when rolling up on someones old holes. Everything else pack it out and if you need to use the restroom find one or go above the water line in the trees for goodness sake and bury it. Thats just disgusting
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Sunflower seeds?  I don't like them but they are common.  Tobacco Juice?  I don't leave either, but I'm guessing there are mixed opinions on these. 
In God We Trust

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:48 AM »
don't be a litter bug pack it in pack it out,if I catch you I"ll turn you in and if I see you leaving a mess I" jump on you about it right then.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:57 AM »
i have been guilty of throwing some crust of my sandwich out the door of my shanty every once in a while but the bird take that away.i have picked up cig butts,propane tanks, chip bags. beer cans all kinds of garbage.i also have picked up jigs,augers covers and ice scoops.i leave holes in the ice only.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Sorry guys. I have to pee about every 30 - 60 minutes. I'm leaving some yellow snow or ice almost everywhere I stop. Call me a pig for that if you want...... I really don't care.

As for having a bowel movement, there is no way I'm heading back 1 - 2 miles to do my business. I drill a partial hole, do it, then cover with the slush. This might happen once or twice a year at most. If that is un-acceptable and you are going to jump my $hi# about it, better bring friends. If you get too obnoxious about it, better bring lots of ammo too. I'm out to fish, not fight. But I'm not gonna take a lot of flack from someone either.......

Pick up anything not easily bio-degradable (including cigarette butts, please).

Go ahead and blast away. I'm not gonna monitor this thread anymore anyway.

Signed,
The pig.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Sorry guys. I have to pee about every 30 - 60 minutes. I'm leaving some yellow snow or ice almost everywhere I stop. Call me a pig for that if you want...... I really don't care.

As for having a bowel movement, there is no way I'm heading back 1 - 2 miles to do my business. I drill a partial hole, do it, then cover with the slush. This might happen once or twice a year at most. If that is un-acceptable and you are going to jump my $hi# about it, better bring friends. If you get too obnoxious about it, better bring lots of ammo too. I'm out to fish, not fight. But I'm not gonna take a lot of flack from someone either.......

Pick up anything not easily bio-degradable (including cigarette butts, please).

Go ahead and blast away. I'm not gonna monitor this thread anymore anyway.

Signed,
The pig.
[/quote

Yep agree.... LOL
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:24 AM »
I agree there is a range- blood and scales on the ice used to be my fish finder. I also fish more than 1 bladder time constant, and really don't think that is noticable after the fact. There are so many of us on some lakes that we are having a larger impact, so I think it is time to start thinking about the next guy.
There are a lot of bucket toilets, and you can get little liners with a gel to absorb the liquid, and it all rolls up into a ziplock and seals up for taking home for disposal. For emergencies, this little  bag could be used in one of your ice fishing buckets, and taken home. It seems like with the hundreds of pounds of gear we are willing to drag for comfort and to help us catch more fish, this would be negligible.  :)

Offline IdahoSkies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:10 PM »
If I wouldn't leave it backpacking, it shouldn't be left on the ice.  Sanitation is a real concern, lakes and ponds get closed because of high bacteria count. 

And yea, its littering. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:30 PM »

As for having a bowel movement, there is no way I'm heading back 1 - 2 miles to do my business. I drill a partial hole, do it, then cover with the slush.

Signed,
The pig.

How hard is it to put turds in a plastic bag, esp once they are frozen solid???
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:02 PM »

How hard is it to put turds in a plastic bag, esp once they are frozen solid???

My opinion? If he thought this behavior was acceptable he would not have amended his original post to add the caveat about it only being once or twice a year.  >:(

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Foot prints and drag marks from the sled
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:02 PM »
OK to leave?  Holes, fish blood, footprints, sled marks.  Not trash or litter of any kind and certainly not poo.   :%$#!: :pinch:  :blink: :-[

And not my pocket knife!  Although that has happened a few times.  ::)

Yellow snow: At least "put" it on the shore away from traffic.

Poo: Pack it out.  The bucket toilets are absolutely not my favorite, but it's that or a snowmobile ride to the facilities, for me and those with me.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:49 PM »

Yellow snow: At least "put" it on the shore away from traffic.

Unlike turds, pee is fairly sterile. Unsightly, so kick snow over it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:33 PM »
I don't care if you piss and poo on the ice your a pig.pee in a milk jug and crap in a bucket.thats kind of why I don't like the early morning drinkers pissing all over and probably got diarrhea from pabst blue ribbon.im sure home owners on the lake just love looking out the window drinking coffee looking out at a toilet on ice.jmo flame me if you want.im cool with keeping the lakes clean is all.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Quite!! Where we go there is nobody except maybe a couple more fishermen!! A non-issue IMO

Offline Adventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:43 PM »
From few years back when going up Mt Whitney, Rangers gave everyone a little plastic bag thats for #2 use. Very light, few ounces, as every ounce counts on such mountain trips. Bags are/were  sanitary, supposedly developed for special forces to not leave DNA or any indicators. Park Rangers gave them out for free, many if asked, still have few.

After use, bag is locked up, no smell, and is carried out if park/mountain and disposed.

Im sure they're available commercialy, if I'm not mistaken, I'll have to find once current supply is used up.

Edit: found samilar ones on Amz, 6 for under $20, might be good idea to take a few with rest of gear. Not sure if links allowed, they're called
 "Cleanwaste Wag Bags Toilet Kit Pack of 6" for $18 on Amazon.

Offline Amik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:02 PM »
The grandson and I were walking off the ice today at Montpellier Res. and came across some holes with a dozen or more perch left on the ice by some slob. Pissed me off. Pissed me off more because I had to explain to an 8 yr old why grown people would do this.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:57 PM »
If I find fish on my way back(that weren't there on the way in) like perch I'm putting in my bucket! If I find some trash fish or if they look off in any way....eagle bait. I have never had to poop while on the ice, however I bring a few plastic shopping bags (fred Meyer) and some wetwipes just in case. The bags come in handy for trash, picking up after my dog and holding worm containers to help keep dirt out of the cooler. As far as taking a piss, first I like to piss on the ice, then I wait for it to freeze, it is much easier to scrape up and carry out like a lemonade slushy in a cup afterwards. JK!- I piss on the ice like a real man, just not in front of anyone.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:59 PM »
1982 chevette

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.